Bolus problems.

Moparp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on Humalog and I've recently tried to cut down on carbohydrates because my sugars were diabolical. I had some fruit today, bolused for it - a couple of units - but it's still happening. Everytime I use Humalog it keeps spiking my sugars up to around 12 and then they plummet to below 4 in a few hours.
Anyone know why this might be happening?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Morning @Moparp I tend to test my blood glucose levels before eating or driving throughout the day. Testing after you eat will show a spike as fruit will cause a spike in your blood sugars due to the fructose content. So either avoid fruit as it's a quick acting carb or have you discussed changing over to multiple daily injections, so taking a quick acting insulin for each meal, with your team ? If you bolus with a quick acting insulin for fruit then you can take it 20 minutes before eating to avoid the spike.

Moparp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @Moparp I tend to test my blood glucose levels before eating or driving throughout the day. Testing after you eat will show a spike as fruit will cause a spike in your blood sugars due to the fructose content. So either avoid fruit as it's a quick acting carb or have you discussed changing over to multiple daily injections, so taking a quick acting insulin for each meal, with your team ? If you bolus with a quick acting insulin for fruit then you can take it 20 minutes before eating to avoid the spike.
Sorry I am on mdi. Basal is wonderful but bolus is causing issues. Surely it shouldn't spike if I'm taking fast acting insulin to cover the fast acting carb? Yeah maybe I'll have to leave it longer before I take it... I usually leave it for 15 before I eat. Still don't understand the drop though.

Sent from my D5803 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you using you standard ratio, or have you been injecting more to try and avoid the spike? Sounds like maybe you need to inject less, but inject it further in advance of eating?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I second the advice to bolus more in advance - it can make a huge difference. If you do that, you may find you can reduce your bolus a little.

I eat fruit, but tend to keep sweet fruit as part of a meal because I think the added fat and protein help the spike too.

Keep experienting carefully - you'll find what works for you :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes do note the info in the other posts. I'm not sure how the Humalog profile compares with NovoRapid the other popular rapid insulin? If moving the timing doesn't help then it may be worth discussing an insulin change, but you should be able to fix the spike with the Humalog.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
If you like fruit (or want the health benefits, vitamin C etc), it may be worth focusing on berries as they generally give the same benefit as apples, oranges, grapes, etc, but are much lower in carbs.

I go for whatever is in season or buy the cheaper frozen berries and once they de-frost, eat with Greek yoghurt.