Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yesterday I picked up Bryson's 'A Short History of Everything' but I've put it back on the shelf because my brand new shiny copy of 'Eat Rich Live Long' by Cummins and Gerber was delivered this afternoon.
I've only read the foreward and the introduction but already I know I'm going to love it. Having skimmed through I see there are loads of references and appendices as well as recipes and meal plans. The science-ey side is soaking wet with graphs and explanations and all sorts of further reading recommendations.
This is gonna be good!

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve just finished the family by Martina Cole. I volunteer at a hospice care and a customer recommended it. I liked it ! About to start the James Patterson and Bill Clinton one.

Ever since volunteering in the charity shops, I’ve become quite a fan of used books. I really can’t believe how much I’ve spent on books over the years. I do like a bit of murder and espionage and at 75 p I’ve got a to read pile of over 100 books. Recommend anything please

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just finished, ' the first fifteen lives of Harry August'

It is a must read book, absolutely brilliant!
Just bought they next book by Claire North.
Highly recommended!

Reactions: Guzzler

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just finished the president is missing. I do like to take the role of amateur detective. I’m usually wrong but it doesn’t stop me. I’m not sure what to read next . Don’t worry I have an extensive to read pile. I’ve acquired the whole alex cross series so maybe that!

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm re-reading London by Edward Rutherfurd. It follows a family through the ages and their escapades. I enjoyed it so much and only by looking online did I realise he had done a whole host more.. So of course I bought them. £15 something for 6 books

Reactions: Goacher55

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m working through the Alex cross series. I’m reading Ive about every 4 days finished violets are blue about 15 mins ago. I’m o to four blind mine now -I’ve bought the whole series in advance

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I, too, have taken to getting used books and paperbacks. I buy them cheaply and then pass them on. I've taken to reading classics never read before

Currently reading odd things I never read before by Nabokov

Weird the classics thing as I have several in my to read pile. I’m currently whizzing through James Patterson’s Alex Cross series. I have a new trick of ordering my next 25 to read books on my to read shelf so I don’t have the gaff of choosing a book I faff for a few hours ordering them to start with

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've put London down for the time being mainly because I got a book from the library by Barbara Erskine called the Ghist Tree. I've read most of her books and enjoyed them.

I've also picked up 2 non-fiction books about the wives of the Plantagenets and also a book about Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots.

London will have to wait til next week where I will take it to the hospital with me so it doesnt matter if someone nicks it lol

Reactions: Goacher55

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've almost finished The Bookshop at Water's End, by Patti Callahan Henry. I thought it was going to be just another chick-lit beach read, but it's much more complex than I expected. After it I have Operation Thunderbolt waiting, Saul David's 2015 account of the 1976 Raid on Entebbe. I saw the 1977 movie, and the other day I saw David's book at Barnes & Noble, so I came home and checked it out from the library on my Nook.

I've also ordered The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life, in hard copy. It looked interesting when I saw it on a link from Goodreads a week or so ago, and I just received a text saying it has been delivered to my mailbox downstairs. We are just starting to get the rain on the outskirts of Hurricane Michael here; looks like it's gonna be good reading weather for awhile. My cat is fine with that; she is sleeping in my lap as I type.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just finished, ' the first fifteen lives of Harry August'

It is a must read book, absolutely brilliant!
Just bought they next book by Claire North.
Highly recommended!

That is a book and a half! I couldn't put it down. I agree with your high recommendation.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
any good ghost books out there I used to love reading them but for some reason can not find any that seem to have a good
Have read most of Stephen King's and other well known writers

Reactions: lazytech
D

Deleted member 308541

I mentioned in another thread to @wolfie11969 that there is not enough hours in a day to read as much as I would like.

A few years back when I was cultivating cataracts in both eyes I swapped over to audiobooks. I have a reasonable collection of Audible's books, and a good selection I downloaded from our local library.

I have them all stored on the 64 gig sd card on my android phone, Audible's app is installed, and another one called Audiobook Player which is advert free, which I play the library books on.

I now have two books that I'm listening to, "It Shouldn't Happen To Vet by James Herriot", and the other is a library book "Flight Of The Old Dog by Dale Brown".

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
The revolt of the eaglets

By Jean Plaidy

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The revolt of the eaglets

By Jean Plaidy

I haven't seen the name Jean Plaidy in ages. I looked up this book. Now I get "eaglets." ;)

This week I'm going back and forth between Operation Thunderbolt by Saul David and The Odd Job by Charlotte MacLeod.

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
I'm re-reading London by Edward Rutherfurd. It follows a family through the ages and their escapades. I enjoyed it so much and only by looking online did I realise he had done a whole host more.. So of course I bought them. £15 something for 6 books
Hi Wolfie. I read Edward Rutherfurd's book "Sarum". This intrigued me so much that when we were visiting the UK with our American friends we made a detour to visit Old Sarum itself. Claire, the wife of the American couple, loved the place and went off exploring and photographing. It's strange how a book can grab you and set you off on voyages you'd never even thought of before reading.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Wolfie. I read Edward Rutherfurd's book "Sarum". This intrigued me so much that when we were visiting the UK with our American friends we made a detour to visit Old Sarum itself. Claire, the wife of the American couple, loved the place and went off exploring and photographing. It's strange how a book can grab you and set you off on voyages you'd never even thought of before reading.

Next one on my list. He also did Russka, New York, the Forest and Paris. Looking forward to reading my way through them.

And yes books inspire us to visit places we wouldnt have dreamed of. I've read a lot of books based around the Druids and Anglesey in Wales. I was disappointed when I went to Anglesey as it was so 'normal' hee hee. I was expecting (in my dreams) people still walking around in Druid costume (I am joking there, I was just disappointed to find most of it was homes and not set aside for visitors)

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm re-reading House of Echoes by Barbara Erskine. My mind was wondering whilst reading London - that bad I cant remember where I got to after the dog took my book from the side and lost my page.

Sign I could be poorly for a couple of weeks so best keep hubby up to speed with how my mood is going