1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Boozing

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by andy1971, Oct 8, 2014.

1. andy1971

andy1971 Type 1 · Member

I was told by the gp that if I'm going to have a drink, vodka or whiskey are preferable... Would that include Jack Daniels would anyone know?

2. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

any unsweetened spirit is fine, if it's sweetened, the carb needs to be counted, dry red wine and dry whites should be ok too
    the main thing is to stay away from brewed beverage, beer etc

3. angelicbaby

angelicbaby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, Jack Daniels is a Bourbon or American Whiskey and therefore should be ok to drink, however, I'm yet to meet anyone who drinks Jack Daniels "neat" or with just ice. Make absolutely sure any mixers you have with it are sugar free otherwise your BS will go through the roof.

4. andy1971

andy1971 Type 1 · Member

That's fine then, I was just unsure after reading a bottle label and seeing the words "sugar maple charcoal" I guess that's just in reference to the process. the whole Sugar turning to alcohol thing.
    Ok thanks peeps :)

5. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

The process you describe is called fermentation and that only happens to beer and wine. Spirits are distilled and don't start out with sugar in the first place.

6. cyclonic

cyclonic Prediabetes · Active Member

I'm sorry you're mistaken, brandy for example is distilled from fermented wine. All alcohol has sugar to feed the yeast for fermentation, and all spirits are distilled from this fermented juice.

7. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Somewhere in the process there must be sugar or you wouldn't have much alcohol to distil. Thats what I have heard anyway.

8. paul-1976

paul-1976 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I drink JD with no problems at all. :)

9. Squire Fulwood

Thank you. I learn something new every day. So the distillation procedure boils off the sugar as well as the alcohol then?

10. jode the toad

jode the toad Type 1 · Member

i dont drink anymore but when i did ...

pure blonde, beer, no sugar and full strength. no problems with sugars.
    savignon blanc, no problems with sugars
    chardonnay, no problems with sugars

spirits
    when i was taking insulin regularly i would mix vodka, bourbon with diet and normal fizzy drinks. if i was to drink spirits by themselves i would go low, so every second or third i would have normal coke, oj, whatever. it could get difficult to remember where i was at ! regular testing though.

vodka and tonic was my preferred, there was a tonic with about 3ml of sugar per 100 and that would keep my levels pretty good.

hangovers were never very good, it could be hard to tell what my sugars were doing and that would last almost all day,

11. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

First you use sugar to make something with alcohol in it, THEN you distil the alcohol from it to make, eventually, spirit.

For example, isn't calvados made from apple cider? So first you make the cider, then distil the alcohol to make calvados.

12. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find red wine is ok.
    Most spirits.
    Decent micro brewery real ale, higher strength, so the sugar is more fermented out, as opposed to low strength session beers.
    Coors light is also a good one for me..

The double brewed dark belgium beer is a no no now, as it tends to have a lot of sugar still in it, even though it's high alcohol.

13. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

I know a lot of people here enjoy a glass of wine and say it does not affect their BG levels. I don't drink myself but.what puzzles me is that grapes are supposed to be one of the worse fruits you can eat as it can send BG's sky high so why doesn't wine do that as it is made from grapes

14. Squire Fulwood

Well it does a bit but the sugar is mostly used up during the fermentation process

15. douglas99

For wines, beers ciders, the sugar is used by yeast, to produce the alcohol during the fermentation.

Yeast is killed by alcohol, so when the concentration rises, the yeast dies, and the process stops.
    Depending on how much sugar is in the drink in the first place, the process can stop when the sugar runs out, when there is a small amount left, of with a lot left, it can also be stopped early, to leave more sugar in the finished drink, and a less strong drink.
    Sugar can also be added during the process to sweeten, or increase the final strength of the drink.

With spirits, the alcohol is boiled off, and re condensed, after that, depending on the drink, sugars, honey, sweeteners, and other flavours can be added back in, and it can be matured in casks for example to add different flavours back in.
    The Jack Daniels for example, is processed through charcoal made from sugar maple to add flavour back in.

16. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

or it could be that the yeast uses the fermentable sugars as food and when it's gone goes dormant, leaving the unfermentable sugars / carbs
    maybe when there is too much sugar and the alc concentration kills yeast, they are doing it wrong or using the wrong strain of yeast

17. douglas99

Can't think of any yeast that'll survive beyond about 18% or so, for things like port. Wine yeast is around the 14%, beers about 5% or so, if I remember correctly.
    There's also not a lot of unfermentable sugar left in a decent dry red wine.

18. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

perhaps port is a fortified wine?
    bakers yeast doesn't ferment very high,
    all of the unfermentable sugars are left, that's why they call them unfermentable
    but I enjoyed your unique perspective, if you know of a fermentation the uses alc to kill yeast, let me know

#18 jack412, Oct 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  19. Squire Fulwood

This is a fine example of losing the plot. Wouldn't it be a good idea if posters went back and read OP's first post?

20. JohnD54

JohnD54 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

May I just add, being an ex Guinness drinker and now on Vodka and coke, that if you are mixing your report with a diet something please, please ensure you get a bottle, sometimes the tapped sodas are not what the labels says, if some establishments run out of a diet one its not unheard of from them to put a full fat one on the same line, also you have to be careful that the server actually draws you a diet soda.mi stick to bottles a bit more expensive but safe.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook