Both T2

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, my husband was diagnosed with T2 September 2016 & I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. Alan's original level was 90 and he's got it down to 50 with metformin and going sugar free in 6 months.
My level was 111 and also 7.8 cholesterol so I've also got to reduce my fat intake.
So what the h*ll can I eat? So confused after reading posts about people snacking on cheese & pork scratchings.

Help :arghh:

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll tag @daisy1 for you and she can give you lots of info for newbies. You have come to the right place. People are very helpful here.

Reactions: heh

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For a great many people going low carb is what brings cholesterol numbers down. I eat quite a bit of fat and very little carb, less than 20 grams per day of carb. My glucose levels average around 5.5 (they were in the high 20's less than a year ago) and my cholesterol has come down to the 4ish range. There is a lot of controversy about cholesterol but most would agree that getting your sugar levels down into the normal range of 4-7 most of the time is a priority.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Good morning @heh, I would eat what you can see on this link to get you started https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist, excluding the potatoes, parsnips, apples, oranges, grapes, pineapple, mango and alcohol.

Further, remove all the sugar you can from your diet, fruit juice , bread and biscuits, chips, crisps, cakes. It will seem like there is nothing left, but I can assure you there is alot. Once you get your numbers down you could then look at alternatives for some of the usual staples e.g if cakes are your thing then you could home bake using almond and coconut flour recipes available on sites like instagram and many more.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so I've also got to reduce my fat intake

Says who? your body regulates cholesterol levels and what we eat only has a very limited impact.
Cut out carbs and use fat for satiety. It has worked for so many of us surely it's worth giving it a go..?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my husband was diagnosed with T2 September 2016 & I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. Alan's original level was 90 and he's got it down to 50 with metformin and going sugar free in 6 months.
My level was 111 and also 7.8 cholesterol so I've also got to reduce my fat intake.
So what the h*ll can I eat? So confused after reading posts about people snacking on cheese & pork scratchings.

Help :arghh:
Hi and welcome Like you both my husband and I have T2. my husband is thought to have got it because he took steroids for about 2 years for Polymyalgia. He was diagnosed about 2 years ago. Me about 1 year ago and my doctor said is a mystery why I have it I have never been overweight always had a good diet meals cooked from scratch low on starchy carbs never liked pasta or rice not much bread and never had much of a sweet tooth. I am 78 so not the generation who have a lot of takeaways or processed foods. I also have raised cholesterol some here say going low carb and high fat regulated their cholesterol but that did not work for me more fat just raised it higher and some others here have said the same so I do not do much saturated fat I don't eat red meat I have lower fat dairy and have good fats from avocados and olive oil

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @bulkbiker . Cholesterol is produced naturally by the body as a response to inflammation in the body. If it's the carbs that are causing the inflammation (and it's highly likely that is the case) then cholesterol will come down when you reduce carbs. That's what happened with me. My view is that whatever your cholesterol level is then that is what your body needs, there is no point reducing it artifcially, in fact it can be dangerous to have it go too low. A good book on this is by Dr Uffe Ravnskov 'The Cholesterol Myths'.

Do remember to fast for your next cholesterol test (we aren't always reminded to do that) and also total cholesterol doesn't mean a thing. We need a break down of the figures to tell us what is really happening. Your 'good' cholesterol could have gone up while the 'bad' has gone down so an increased total cholesterol could actually be a good thing. Also ask for a printout of any blood test results, then if you don't understand anything you can ask for help here.

Here's another useful link to a free low carb program on this site.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/

Edit: I also meant to say welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said, it's the body (liver) that decides your cholesterol level and not the fat you eat. Keep all carbs right down and have enough veg, proteins and fats to keep you feeling full. Don't take too much notice of your total cholesterol but the lipids ratios and don't reduce the total too low as the body needs cholesterol.