Bouncy numbers

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been working hard on my blood glucose numbers over the last few months since the GP told me I'd edged into pre-diabetic territory.

This morning I was at 4.7mmol/L, which is lower than I've been seeing so far. As it is going to be stupid hot here today (OK, 26deg C maybe isn't furnace levels, but I'm British damnit, we can be delicate flowers at times!), I wanted to get at least some of my daily walk in before it got too hot. That was a complete failure, it was way too hot for me, I especially hate walking in full sun, I can cope with cloudy and humid hot temperatures a lot better than being in the direct sun.

When I got back - I only did a very slow 2 miles - I was feeling very odd so I measured my glucose again. 6.2. I do not believe it was from the handful of blackberries I picked and ate while I was out, so I am thanking my oh so helpful liver for the boost.

Normally I fast at least until noon (I do not count the blackberries, food you pick yourself while you're just out and about totally doesn't count!), but I've had an egg and hoping to see the numbers back down again. At least I can tell when my glucose has risen, I can feel that a lot more clearly than when it is low.

Repeat a1c on Friday, assuming the vials are available. Really hoping for a 'normal' result from that, though I know I will need to be careful from here on anyway.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stress can cause our levels to rise.
It sounds as if you were stressed by the sun during your walk which is quite likely to have contributed towards your rise.
However, a rise to 6.2 should not be a major concern.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been working hard on my blood glucose numbers over the last few months since the GP told me I'd edged into pre-diabetic territory.

This morning I was at 4.7mmol/L, which is lower than I've been seeing so far. As it is going to be stupid hot here today (OK, 26deg C maybe isn't furnace levels, but I'm British damnit, we can be delicate flowers at times!), I wanted to get at least some of my daily walk in before it got too hot. That was a complete failure, it was way too hot for me, I especially hate walking in full sun, I can cope with cloudy and humid hot temperatures a lot better than being in the direct sun.

When I got back - I only did a very slow 2 miles - I was feeling very odd so I measured my glucose again. 6.2. I do not believe it was from the handful of blackberries I picked and ate while I was out, so I am thanking my oh so helpful liver for the boost.

Normally I fast at least until noon (I do not count the blackberries, food you pick yourself while you're just out and about totally doesn't count!), but I've had an egg and hoping to see the numbers back down again. At least I can tell when my glucose has risen, I can feel that a lot more clearly than when it is low.

Repeat a1c on Friday, assuming the vials are available. Really hoping for a 'normal' result from that, though I know I will need to be careful from here on anyway.
The exercise may have caused your liver to dump more glucose than normal.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am pretty sure it was the exercise, I was hot, knackered, and feeling very grey around the gills when I got back - and I really didn't walk very far by my usual standards.

I had a hard boiled egg (I keep them in the fridge ready for snacking purposes) when I got back and an hour later my glucose was back where it had been.

I wasn't concerned by the number, more that I was fascinated by how 'helpful' my liver had decided to be. I admit to being a little obsessive with various numbers and measurements just now - I have spreadsheets and all sorts! I mean, it's my very own, personal, science project right here - what's not to love :-D

Reactions: In Response

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I am pretty sure it was the exercise, I was hot, knackered, and feeling very grey around the gills when I got back - and I really didn't walk very far by my usual standards.

I had a hard boiled egg (I keep them in the fridge ready for snacking purposes) when I got back and an hour later my glucose was back where it had been.

I wasn't concerned by the number, more that I was fascinated by how 'helpful' my liver had decided to be. I admit to being a little obsessive with various numbers and measurements just now - I have spreadsheets and all sorts! I mean, it's my very own, personal, science project right here - what's not to love :-D
I know what you mean about the obsession with your numbers. Since I began seeing nothing but 5's on my meter two weeks ago I was dismayed by 6.1 this morning! Mind you I did spend half an hour outside moving very heavy potted plants before taking first reading, so maybe it was that? We get very protective of our new numbers and don't wish to see a rise EVER :D xx

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean about the obsession with your numbers. Since I began seeing nothing but 5's on my meter two weeks ago I was dismayed by 6.1 this morning! Mind you I did spend half an hour outside moving very heavy potted plants before taking first reading, so maybe it was that? We get very protective of our new numbers and don't wish to see a rise EVER :D xx
Just remember that non diabetics also have fluctuations in their blood sugar levels.

Reactions: coby
M

Member496333

6.2 after activity really isn’t a big deal. Of far more importance is your fasting number which is basically flatline and indicates a pretty comfortable resting metabolism.

Reactions: coby

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Very true - I have to keep reminding myself to hold on to at least some shreds of sanity around various numbers, I've seen rises after exercise before, especially when it's Too Hot out there and I'm exhausted, but that was the biggest I've seen.

But yes, I am basically happy with what my glucose is doing (assuming the meter I have is even slightly accurate, and I've no reason to think it isn't), so keep on keeping on is my plan for now.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 after activity really isn’t a big deal. Of far more importance is your fasting number which is basically flatline and indicates a pretty comfortable resting metabolism.

Yes, totally agree. I am happy with what my numbers are doing, and I think the GP will be too.

This morning's rise, while not particularly remarkable, was the biggest I've seen from exercise thus far. It was way too hot for my tastes out there though and I came back feeling like death warmed up (way too warmed up ...), which almost certainly explains it

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How hydrated were you?
In the past I've asked people who've felt a bit off when out in slightly trying conditions if they could have neglected to take a drink, and they've usually responded - Oh - now I think about it -

Reactions: Widgets

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How hydrated were you?
In the past I've asked people who've felt a bit off when out in slightly trying conditions if they could have neglected to take a drink, and they've usually responded - Oh - now I think about it -

Not very hydrated at all. I wasn't out for very long and I wouldn't usually bother with taking liquid for at least twice that time/distance. That was definitely part of it. I pretty much sank two pints of water without them touching the sides when I got back.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not very hydrated at all. I wasn't out for very long and I wouldn't usually bother with taking liquid for at least twice that time/distance. That was definitely part of it. I pretty much sank two pints of water without them touching the sides when I got back.
I'd say that was the reason you were feeling odd.