Type 2 Bread and bread alternatives

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

this might have been covered before but couldn't find specific answers so bear with me.

I'm currently 4 weeks and three days from being diagnosed T2 and from the first day of diagnosis I've been really low carb and as little sugar as I can get it, I won't say sugar free because of the carbs and sugars in milk and veg.

Now for the last 4 weeks I haven't eaten any bread at all, that is until today. Today I had a lidl protein roll. I've heard so much about them and we have a lidl next to where I work I thought let's give it a try... OMG... How nice? After weeks without bread of any shape or form this was so good, I had it toasted with butter and and and.....

And... Two hours after eating it my blood sugars spiked three points, it's gone to what was 4.3 to 7.8... I'm gutted, because I thought I might actually have found something I could have. Not only has my BS spiked but I'm craving sweet and I'm hungry when I really shouldn't be....

I've got my diet to around 20-30g carbs a day and my sugar between 2-6g which is down to how many cups of coffee I drink in a day.

So my question, are there any other breads that are low carb that I could try, I am seriously missing bread at the moment, I'm going to try to make my cauliflower pizza bases but smaller and try that as a substitute but I really want an occasional slice of toast.

Any help would be appreciated

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps wait another month and try again?
The Lidl rolls are the lowest carb I've found and they have very little effect on my BG, but I cut one in half and add several slices of meat, coleslaw and salad - as much as I can put in and still be able to eat it as a hand held food - the addition of protein and salad stuff might be what makes the difference.
Also - some people find that they cope better with carbs later in the day, so it might be worth checking that - and perhaps, if you want to eat bread early, add in a couple of eggs and some bacon perhaps?

Reactions: Bs0lth

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Perhaps wait another month and try again?
The Lidl rolls are the lowest carb I've found and they have very little effect on my BG, but I cut one in half and add several slices of meat, coleslaw and salad - as much as I can put in and still be able to eat it as a hand held food - the addition of protein and salad stuff might be what makes the difference.
Also - some people find that they cope better with carbs later in the day, so it might be worth checking that - and perhaps, if you want to eat bread early, add in a couple of eggs and some bacon perhaps?

Hi thanks Resurgam

I'm pretty scared about reintroducing carbs at the moment, doctor wanted me low carb and sugar for another two weeks until I get bloods taken again so this would be just an occasional treat at the moment, and I like the way I can buy one roll and there is no further temptation, but the way it's reacted it's going to be a little while before I buy another one. I'm really gutted tjough at the moment :(

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm going to try making the oopsie/ cloud bread but from what I've seen it just tastes like baked omelets... But I suppose no carbs

Reactions: Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I make lettuce wraps instead of bread. Big piece of lettuce with sandwich fillings.
www.elansapantry.com has a good almond flour muffin. Could be made into bread. Mostly almond flour and egg.
Also google vegan herbed crackers. Delish. Again almond flour oil water and herbs. Fantastic.
For some reason I can't copy and paste web sites but if you can't find them I'll type the recipes.
Both very simple and only carbs from almonds

Both recipes at that site.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks Resurgam

I'm pretty scared about reintroducing carbs at the moment, doctor wanted me low carb and sugar for another two weeks until I get bloods taken again so this would be just an occasional treat at the moment, and I like the way I can buy one roll and there is no further temptation, but the way it's reacted it's going to be a little while before I buy another one. I'm really gutted tjough at the moment :(

Half a roll with masses of butter and eaten as part of a meal does nothing to my levels. What did you have with yours, and when did you have it?

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make lettuce wraps instead of bread. Big piece of lettuce with sandwich fillings.
www.elansapantry.com has a good almond flour muffin. Could be made into bread. Mostly almond flour and egg.
Also google vegan herbed crackers. Delish. Again almond flour oil water and herbs. Fantastic.
For some reason I can't copy and paste web sites but if you can't find them I'll type the recipes.

Thanks I'm off to have a look now .... I knew bread was going to be hard but how hard?

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Half a roll with masses of butter and eaten as part of a meal does nothing to my levels. What did you have with yours, and when did you have it?
Hi Bluetit,

I had it this afternoon as a snack toasted with loads of butter on. Maybe I should have added more protein with it but I just wanted toast :) it's what I'm missing most, but it's really spiked my BS levels. I wonder if it's because it's the biggest carb intake I've had in the last 4 weeks. It was actually 1/3 of my entire carb intake yesterday and my body just said erm don't want yo deal with this

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Lidl protein rolls are about the only bread product I've found that doesn't spike my BG, though I do only tend to eat half of one at a time usually with soft cheese. Your spike in BS may be due to when you had the roll and what you ate with it. I find that breakfast isn't my best time for bread. @Resurgam 's advice and comments are wise suggestions.
You might like to try Ryvita pumpkin and oats as an alternative bread-like substitute. I often have a couple for a snack with a low carb spread such as duck pate or peanut butter.
However, it's very early days for you and you ought not to expect perfect control so soon - it takes time and a lot of trial and error, but you'll get there.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Google fathead pizza. Make the dough in a square or rectangle and cut it into smaller pieces to use as bread. It is grain free, low carb and very very filling. It is cheese and almond flour based instead of egg, tough enough to use in a sandwich in a packed lunch, and delicious.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Just looked at the almond bread recepe think I'm going to buy some almond flour and give if a go. I love almonds and this sounds really good... :)

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Google fathead pizza. Make the dough in a square or rectangle and cut it into smaller pieces to use as bread. It is grain free, low carb and very very filling. It is cheese and almond flour based instead of egg, tough enough to use in a sandwich in a packed lunch, and delicious.
Hi chalup...

I'm googling now :) I've made a cauliflower pizza base which is basically cauli rice eggs and cheese, that was good and it works really well as a pizza base, and I felt like I was eating something I would normally eat. I've also made pancakes with oat flour, which is low carb but zero sugar. I made a batch yesterday and only used 1/3 and stored it in the fridge and used another 1/3 this morning, I only used 2 teaspoons on the flour and it was nice with breakfast this morning :)

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
When I first started my ketogenic diet last July, I was really concerned, even agitated, about being restricted on what bread I could eat. Bread was one of my absolute favourite foods. I made some bread and I also sampled quite a few from supermarkets. The best I found was from Amazon - Lowcarb by Carbzone, only 7.5g carbs per 100g. The slices are 50g each, so 3.8g carbs per slice.
However, over the last few months, I have stopped eating bread altogether and have told myself that's something I don't eat. And it works, now I don't miss it at all, even when others are eating it in front of me and telling me how good it is.
Abstinence is actually a lot easier than controlling limitations.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks for this... I've just googled fathead pizza and I'm off to tesco now to see if I can get some almond flour... Really how nice does that sound.... Far far far far nicer than my cauliflower one. And think your right I should be able to use the base as a substitute....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look for the various bread recipes on the www.dietdoctor.com website.
@Chook loves them. :)

I found that a whole Lidl protein roll spiked me the first few times, but after that not. Weird. Maybe it was because i just kept adding butter each time...? :D

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lidl protein rolls are about the only bread product I've found that doesn't spike my BG, though I do only tend to eat half of one at a time usually with soft cheese. Your spike in BS may be due to when you had the roll and what you ate with it. I find that breakfast isn't my best time for bread. @Resurgam 's advice and comments are wise suggestions.
You might like to try Ryvita pumpkin and oats as an alternative bread-like substitute. I often have a couple for a snack with a low carb spread such as duck pate or peanut butter.
However, it's very early days for you and you ought not to expect perfect control so soon - it takes time and a lot of trial and error, but you'll get there.

Hi Miahara

It was about 3pm that I ate it. I'm currently doggie sitting so I've been a bit more active than I normally am and I was hungry this afternoon. I had been saving the roll for a treat and I just wanted toast, with butter and nothing else... Think that might have been my mistake. I should have eaten something else with it.

I know I'm still in early days, and this is a lifestyle change rather than a diet for me, but my BS has been virtually stable for two weeks now... It sits at 4.3 to 5.5 and the highest it's peaked is 6.3 after eating, so I was shocked when it went back into the 7s

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I first started my ketogenic diet last July, I was really concerned, even agitated, about being restricted on what bread I could eat. Bread was one of my absolute favourite foods. I made some bread and I also sampled quite a few from supermarkets. The best I found was from Amazon - Lowcarb by Carbzone, only 7.5g carbs per 100g. The slices are 50g each, so 3.8g carbs per slice.
However, over the last few months, I have stopped eating bread altogether and have told myself that's something I don't eat. And it works, now I don't miss it at all, even when others are eating it in front of me and telling me how good it is.
Abstinence is actually a lot easier than controlling limitations.

Hi Briantheelder

Bread has always been a problem for me, even before I was diagnosed, I know it's still going to be a problem for me.. God I sound like an alcoholic .. But I've avoided eating it completly over the last four weeks. After reading about the lidl protein roll I bought 1.... Tested before and after to see exactly what it did, and for the foreseeable future I'm not buying any more.

I tried the cauliflower pizza because it means I can eat pizza with the rest of the family, and there are times when a sandwich would be convenient but for the most part I need to break my bread habit. Hence asking if there are any alternatives out there...

It might come diwn to for me there are no alternatives and have to give it all up, but honestly now when I think of normal white bread all I see is sugar cubes...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit,

I had it this afternoon as a snack toasted with loads of butter on. Maybe I should have added more protein with it but I just wanted toast :) it's what I'm missing most, but it's really spiked my BS levels. I wonder if it's because it's the biggest carb intake I've had in the last 4 weeks. It was actually 1/3 of my entire carb intake yesterday and my body just said erm don't want yo deal with this

You may have got it in one there @Bs0lth When our pancreas has been used to very low carb and therefore been producing less insulin, it will continue to produce less insulin until things change. A sudden hit with carbs, albeit only one Lidl roll as a snack, the insulin produced will have been too little. Thus a higher spike than you might expect. This is called the last meal effect. It is a well known phenomenon and could be what happened in your case. It may be worth trying it again, but not as a snack. As part of a meal and not for breakfast. Evenings may be better.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Miahara

I know I'm still in early days, and this is a lifestyle change rather than a diet for me, but my BS has been virtually stable for two weeks now... It sits at 4.3 to 5.5 and the highest it's peaked is 6.3 after eating, so I was shocked when it went back into the 7s
Your BS results are REALLY EXCELLENT so I wouldn't worry too much about the one that went a bit adrift.