Lucy_Betts_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Not being allowed to have chocolate
Hi,
now, I love cereal for breakfast but as a T2 diabetic it does my blood sugars no good at all.
I have breakfast in a hurry most mornings as I rush out of the door to work so cereal is convenient but I need to give it the boot.
Can anyone suggest something as quick and easy as cereal that I can have in the mornings. Please don't suggest eggs as I can't face them that early in the day. Also oats (porridge) are one of my worst triggers for high blood sugars.
Any ideas?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon cooked the night before.. cold meats.. yoghurt full fat Greek in moderation?

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just google Keto breakfast cereals, you can make these ahead to use whenever. Probably one of the nut milks or full fat Greek yoghurt would be better than ordinary milk.

Coconut Pancakes from the Diabetes weight loss cookbook is another option. Again should be able to google for keto pancakes or waffles to find a suitable recipe.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
now, I love cereal for breakfast but as a T2 diabetic it does my blood sugars no good at all.
I have breakfast in a hurry most mornings as I rush out of the door to work so cereal is convenient but I need to give it the boot.
Can anyone suggest something as quick and easy as cereal that I can have in the mornings. Please don't suggest eggs as I can't face them that early in the day. Also oats (porridge) are one of my worst triggers for high blood sugars.
Any ideas?
Chaffles are worth a google (eggs and cheese in a waffle iron, with a number of variations, including a chocolate one...! Seems easy enough, and doesn't appear too eggy in flavor...), you could go for full fat greek yoghurt with coconut shavings and berries, maybe some nuts too? Dunno how low carb you want to go...

...Skipping breakfast is also an option, and just having a massive lunch. (That's what I do. Well, breakfast is a big mug of tea, usually...)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm reading this post with interest as to date I have failed to find a breakfast I can eat at work. So far my remedy has been just to have coffee with cream first thing and then nothing til lunch. While I am really hungry by the time lunch comes it seems to be getting easier. I tend to eat breakfast on weekends as I can have something a lot later like 8 or 9 am.

I don't like coconut so things with coconut don't appeal. Lucy I hope that one of the suggestions already on this post work for you.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like chia seed pudding. The mix ins are endless. Nuts, berries, pumpkin, spices, nut butters, etc.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get up 5 minutes earlier and cook some bacon.
Get up 10 minutes earlier and have sausage and bacon.
Get up a decade earlier and nobody will moan at you for eating meat.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
Breakfast that I always found very energy giving as well as reducing BG is Sprouted Beans Salad.
Not sure how it works, but my personal experiment proves that it many time reduces my BG levels below my FBS / RBS after two hours of breakfast even on a sedentary day.

Taxus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have an avocado! I also like a small handful of almonds with my coffee and what about a wedge of cheese?

JimPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
May not appeal to everyone but I often have cheese & biscuits for breakfast.
Water biscuits are 2.5g carb each. I have 4 with Brie/Stilton/Goats cheese. around 10g carb total
Some olives and silverskin pickled onions too.
Co-Op and M&S do packs of dried bacon strips as an occasional addition.

When time allows, Bacon & Egg, Kippers & scrambled egg.

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogance, awkward people
I do OK on bite size shredded wheat, but I know some others don't! Worth a try.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I some times put some bacon in the air fryer then shortly before it's finished sprinkle shredded cheddar on it let it finish cooking and have bacon with melted cheese on.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Any ideas?
I have Greek yoghurt with berries when I’m working - I also take some to work with me.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Any ideas?

Cottage cheese/plain yogurt and berries

Nuts

Celery sticks with cream cheese or peanut butter (pre-made)

Asparagus and mayo, rolled in deli meat slices (pre-made)

Lettuce wraps of waldorf chicken, or tuna/salmon salads (the salads are pre-made, the lettuce leaves are pre-washed and ready)

Pre-made soups (ready to heat and eat)

A glass of whole milk

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

Lucy_Betts_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cottage cheese/plain yogurt and berries

Nuts

Celery sticks with cream cheese or peanut butter (pre-made)

Asparagus and mayo, rolled in deli meat slices (pre-made)

Lettuce wraps of waldorf chicken, or tuna/salmon salads (the salads are pre-made, the lettuce leaves are pre-washed and ready)

Pre-made soups (ready to heat and eat)

A glass of whole milk

Lucy_Betts_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I like to yogurt and berries idea, just plain full fat yogurt?
not sure about salads for breakfast though

thank you

Lucy_Betts_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I some times put some bacon in the air fryer then shortly before it's finished sprinkle shredded cheddar on it let it finish cooking and have bacon with melted cheese on.