1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Breakfast ideas

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Beansprout, May 13, 2020.

1. Beansprout

Beansprout Type 2 · Member

Hi All,

Looking for vegan breakfast ideas beyond the tofu scramble. :) What do you eat for breakfast?

Cheers,
    Cat

2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

My go to vegan breakfasts are: alpro yogurt (any flavour but I prefer either plain, strawberry or vanilla) with lots of berries, sometimes with a banana. With an iced coffee with sugar free syrup and soy milk.
    Or vegan sausages with beans and mushrooms or a salad
    Or nut butters on toast
    Or a smoothie

• Like Like x 1
  3. Beansprout

What sausages do you like. I'm currently living in NZ and the selection is not great - Linda McCartney and the Alternative Meat Co is what I eat mostly.

I often eat toast with hummus and tomato because it's quick and I can shove it my face on the way to work. However, looking to sub in a lower carb option for a bit.

I haven't tried alpro yogurt - that's soy right? I do sometimes get the coconut ones. I'll add to my shopping list for next week. I think there's still some blueberries at the store right now.

4. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

How about a grain free granola? Easy to make and very tasty. You can find recipes on the internet. You would need a plant milk to have with it as well.

5. Beansprout

That's a thing? Googling now! Thanks. :)

6. Beansprout

Do you add honey/maple syrup to the granola it generally omit?

7. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Honey and maple syrup are sugar, so yeah, those are out. But there's sugar free alternatives for maple syrup, like from Walden Farms....

8. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I use sucralose sweetener. Two teaspoonfuls in a batch that makes fourteen or fifteen portions .

9. Beansprout

Thanks for the ideas. I actually found some of the Walden Farms syrup. Have ordered online. With current shipping delays, should be here somewhere around christmas. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@Beansprout I love Beyond Meat sausages. A little pricey but oh so good!

11. Marie 2

#11 Marie 2, May 18, 2020 at 8:19 PM
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  12. Beansprout

@Marie 2 Apologies for the delayed response - I lost the plot. Thanks heaps for the links. I made it to the chocolate chip banana squares and have gotten stuck. :). I'm going to make these tomorrow!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Diabetic Vegan

Diabetic Vegan LADA · Member

Hey, have just seen this but thought I'd reply as I'm also in NZ! For sausages I recommend Field Roasts, you can get them online at thecrueltyfreeshop.co.nz I've heard Alternative Meat Co. sausages are good too but I haven't had them.
    Also a good low sugar muesli is Jordan's Granola.
    I'm not a big fan of alpro yoghurts, but I love coconut yoghurt especially Raglan Coconut Yoghurt. Another good option is chia seed puddings, you can make them the night before and bring with you to work, or a smoothie or smoothie bowl :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Marie 2

15. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Last nights left overs, it's only western culture that says the breakfast should be a specific and different meal to our others or even try fasting and have lunch for breakfast

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook