Breakfast ideas

Beansprout

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Looking for vegan breakfast ideas beyond the tofu scramble. :) What do you eat for breakfast?

Cheers,
Cat

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

My go to vegan breakfasts are: alpro yogurt (any flavour but I prefer either plain, strawberry or vanilla) with lots of berries, sometimes with a banana. With an iced coffee with sugar free syrup and soy milk.
Or vegan sausages with beans and mushrooms or a salad
Or nut butters on toast
Or a smoothie

Reactions: Cat14 and Marie 2

Beansprout

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or vegan sausages

What sausages do you like. I'm currently living in NZ and the selection is not great - Linda McCartney and the Alternative Meat Co is what I eat mostly.

I often eat toast with hummus and tomato because it's quick and I can shove it my face on the way to work. However, looking to sub in a lower carb option for a bit.

I haven't tried alpro yogurt - that's soy right? I do sometimes get the coconut ones. I'll add to my shopping list for next week. I think there's still some blueberries at the store right now.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
How about a grain free granola? Easy to make and very tasty. You can find recipes on the internet. You would need a plant milk to have with it as well.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Guna108

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you add honey/maple syrup to the granola it generally omit?
Honey and maple syrup are sugar, so yeah, those are out. But there's sugar free alternatives for maple syrup, like from Walden Farms....

Beansprout

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the ideas. I actually found some of the Walden Farms syrup. Have ordered online. With current shipping delays, should be here somewhere around christmas. :)

Beansprout

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Marie 2 Apologies for the delayed response - I lost the plot. Thanks heaps for the links. I made it to the chocolate chip banana squares and have gotten stuck. :). I'm going to make these tomorrow!

Reactions: Marie 2
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What sausages do you like. I'm currently living in NZ and the selection is not great - Linda McCartney and the Alternative Meat Co is what I eat mostly.

I often eat toast with hummus and tomato because it's quick and I can shove it my face on the way to work. However, looking to sub in a lower carb option for a bit.

I haven't tried alpro yogurt - that's soy right? I do sometimes get the coconut ones. I'll add to my shopping list for next week. I think there's still some blueberries at the store right now.

Hey, have just seen this but thought I'd reply as I'm also in NZ! For sausages I recommend Field Roasts, you can get them online at thecrueltyfreeshop.co.nz I've heard Alternative Meat Co. sausages are good too but I haven't had them.
Also a good low sugar muesli is Jordan's Granola.
I'm not a big fan of alpro yoghurts, but I love coconut yoghurt especially Raglan Coconut Yoghurt. Another good option is chia seed puddings, you can make them the night before and bring with you to work, or a smoothie or smoothie bowl :)

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last nights left overs, it's only western culture that says the breakfast should be a specific and different meal to our others or even try fasting and have lunch for breakfast

Beating-My-Betes

Another couple of breakfast options:

1: Overnight Oats. Pour oats into container, and add plant-milk to taste (I like oatmilk, or sometimes chocolate-soymilk). Add in frozen berries and raisins. Leave in fridge, overnight.

2: Fruit-Salad. Soak raisins and frozen berries in home fresh-squeezed orange-juice, and a touch of cinnamon (Pure Ceylon, preferably), and a dash of nutmeg. Leave overnight in fridge. By the morning, the raisins and berries should be soft and plump. Add whatever fruit you fancy, and perhaps a dollop of vegan yoghurt.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another couple of breakfast options:

1: Overnight Oats. Pour oats into container, and add plant-milk to taste (I like oatmilk, or sometimes chocolate-soymilk). Add in frozen berries and raisins. Leave in fridge, overnight.

2: Fruit-Salad. Soak raisins and frozen berries in home fresh-squeezed orange-juice, and a touch of cinnamon (Pure Ceylon, preferably), and a dash of nutmeg. Leave overnight in fridge. By the morning, the raisins and berries should be soft and plump. Add whatever fruit you fancy, and perhaps a dollop of vegan yoghurt.
For quite a few T2's, that's be way too carby to keep their blood glucose in check, especially in the morning, when most experience higher insulin resistance and dawn phenomenon...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, thanks! Should I delete my post?
I'm not a moderator, and you can put up whatever you like. But if someone's interested in cutting carbs to keep their diabetes in check, your suggestions won't assist in that goal. Someone who's new to the whole thing wouldn't know that though, so... Figured I'd say something. Just to be on the safe side. ;)