Breakfast

Jo.liddle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Has anyone got any breakfast ideas as cereal and toast send me too high. I dont eat eggs and feel like I don't know what else is quick and substantial enough to keep me going??

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, cold meats, cheese?

I usually skip it altogether and have a coffee with double cream (3 in fact) every morning and don't have my first meal until mid afternoon.

Lakeslover

Greek yoghurt and berries. Or check out a website called keto Hana. They make good low carb granola which is nice with Greek yoghurt.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything that doesn’t raise you BS, try to change your mind set from breakfast to “meal 1”I often have leftovers, this morning was some Lebanese salad and chicken from last nights dinner.

yoghurt or double cream with berries, cheese, meat, ham and cream cheese roll ups, smoked salmon, sardines in oil, bacon and high meat sausages cooked in advance and microwaved or even eaten cold.fried mushrooms with a handful of cheese melted in is very satisfying and keeps me full for ages.

Tomorrow I’m having some keto cauliflower fried rice left over from tonight’s tea and I’ll probably chop a bit of ham or chicken into and microwave for a couple of minutes.

If you miss bread there is a few places that sell low carb/ keto bread, it’s not cheap but it’s a very good substitute, just Google keto bread and a few places come up. I like Low Carb Food Co. the best. You can also get some on Amazon I believe.

Deelam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with all the above. Holland and Barrett sell the keto granola, expensive but delicious and Waitrose sell LivLife low carb bread. 2 slices with butter and tuna mayonnaise made my week!

Reactions: filly

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't always want or need to eat breakfast, but when I do it tends to be anything low carb that's quick & easy e.g, Greek yoghurt with berries and/or seeds, or cheese, cold or microwave reheated meats, fish , chicken, or low carb muffins or bread if I've already made any.... I'm not an egg lover either so mine generally get buried in low carb baked goodies or pastryless quiche type concoctions, etc, which can also work for breakfast if already made and living in the fridge.

@lovinglife has given you a nice list of similar suggestions.

But essentially you can choose rto eat anything that's low carb for any meal you choose to.

• Agree
Reactions: lessci

Ladynijo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat eggs so my options are wider - today’s treat was omelette & smoked salmon, kept me going until tea time. Other favourites are

Rhubarb stewed with sweetener plus Greek yoghurt

Smoked haddock/cod poached in milk

Cottage cheese with a couple of slices of Bresaola/ prosciutto, or a few prawns.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mushrooms fried in butter. tomatoes and cucumber, I have fried bread and bacon but then I am not doing keto diet. I am low carb and need to select the bread carefully. The butter keeps me satiated till evening without needing any lunch or snacks.

PapiDre

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you should try out some juicing recipes to balance things out and spice things up. Most of the juices for diabetes are really great and makes you have a variety of options to eat with and drink with. Even on some mornings you can have just them to start your day with

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I mix up a porridge that is mainly milled flaxseed.
I started with 2 heaped spoons of flaxseed to a flat spoon of chis seeds and a flat spoon of oatbran. Once I was used to it I upped the chia seeds slightly and reduced then stopped the oatbran.
I add a mix of chopped nuts and other seeds plus cinnamon and a little salt. Cook with water for 2 mins then stir in coconut milk.
I serve it with double cream on top but that is optional (just add more coconut milk).
I mix up enough for a week to save time in the morning.

Much lower in carbs than grain-based cereals.

I sometimes add turmeric with a pinch of black pepper.

Reactions: HSSS

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you should try out some juicing recipes to balance things out and spice things up. Most of the juices for diabetes are really great and makes you have a variety of options to eat with and drink with. Even on some mornings you can have just them to start your day with
Fast acting sugary carby fruit juice is really not a suitable option for T2 diabetics who tend to be carbohydrate intolerant. Such drinks may be fine for T1 diabetics and probably useful for treating hypos, but low carb food and drinks are a much better choice for us.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem with juicing is that it destroys the fibre content of food, which means the carbs become quicker to digest, thus raising the Glycemic Index, and hence th Glycemic Load. It leads to sharper glucose spikes, which most T2 will not deal with due to impaired First Insulin Response. Smoothies are similar, especially since Coca Cola got involved.

PapiDre

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I get you, that's why I always advice checking for the nutritional value of the recipes before trying them out and sticking to a juicing plan so one doesn't do too much, keeps everything in balance

Dual Stream

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it is difficult, but if having gone beyond pre-diabetes, you really need to cut out all carbs to get you A1c down and reduce you risk of other health complications.
Yes you could go onto metformin and eventually Insulin. But if you can find a way to stop eating any carbs, you could reverse your T2D.

So for Breakfast (or any other meals)
No cereals
No Biscuits
No Toast or bread. Though there maybe some evidence that freezing the bread first reduces its GI, therefore reducing a sugar spike.
Unfortunately, there really isn’t any relevant difference in GI between White, Brown, Wholemeal or ancient seeded breads.
No Fruit Juices. Only whole fruits if you must which will still have its fibre intact, but preferably none.

If you really do need carbs, then consider a couple of desert sports of Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother bits and diluted in water) before you eat them. This might slow down the GI.

The problem is if you don’t like eggs. So eat plenty of bacon and/or other meats or fish. Watch the rusk content of sausages though.
Leafy veg is good, but long chain starchy veg that grew underground, like potatoes, carrots, parsnips, suedes are carbs. As are peas and sweetcorn.

What I find so annoying is that I walk around a Supermarket, knowing at least three quarters of what they sell, I shouldn’t eat!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get you, that's why I always advice checking for the nutritional value of the recipes before trying them out and sticking to a juicing plan so one doesn't do too much, keeps everything in balance
That still doesn’t account for juice v whole foods effects. For example an apple juiced, pulped to include the fibre and whole will all have different effects both of glucose profile and satiety.

Juicing is a craze and adds little to the nutrition of most people. Our bodies evolved to eat whole food not juiced versions. It’s positively harmful without a great deal of care in type 2.

I see your profile says you do not have diabetes. What is your connection to it (family/friends, professional or just interest for example) and which type?

Dual Stream

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That still doesn’t account for juice v whole foods effects. For example an apple juiced, pulped to include the fibre and whole will all have different effects both of glucose profile and satiety.

Juicing is a craze and adds little to the nutrition of most people. Our bodies evolved to eat whole food not juiced versions. It’s positively harmful without a great deal of care in type 2.

I see your profile says you do not have diabetes. What is your connection to it (family/friends, professional or just interest for example) and which type?
Again, it is so difficult when we now need to follow almost completely the reverse of what were taught was healthy food, isn’t it?
Organisations such as Weight-watchers wanting to reduce fat with not enough mention of carbs, were wrong!

Once you have diabetes (or IMO even pre-diabetes, which is not partially diabetic - you can’t be partially pregnant!), you must watch out for all types of sugar. Including:
Fructose.
Lactose,
Sucrose,
Dextrose,
Anything with an ‘ose’ at the end of it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again, it is so difficult when we now need to follow almost completely the reverse of what were taught was healthy food, isn’t it?
Organisations such as Weight-watchers wanting to reduce fat with not enough mention of carbs, were wrong!

Once you have diabetes (or IMO even pre-diabetes, which is not partially diabetic - you can’t be partially pregnant!), you must watch out for all types of sugar. Including:
Fructose.
Lactose,
Sucrose,
Dextrose,
Yep lots of poorly evidenced and over simplified brain washing has happened in the last generation. Sugar is sugar, carbs are carbs.

Oddly 20yrs ago slimming world did red (original) and greens days. The red was actually pretty low carb and focused quite heavily on unprocessed meat and fish where as the green were high carb, allowing more starchy foods like rice potatoes and pasta. Both encouraged veg and salad. Almost everyone there did better weight loss wise (rather than it necessarily being their preference) with more/all red days.

Reactions: Dual Stream

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Fructose.
Lactose,
Sucrose,
Dextrose,
Also avoid things with an -OL on the end. Sorbitol. Dextrosol (which by the way is actually pure glucose) Malitol, alcohol there are some that the body does not metabolise such as erythritol and xylitol which are used as sweeteners instead of sugar and are considered safe.

Fructose in particular is one to restrict if you can. It is not metabolised in the same way as sugar or glucose, but goes direct to the liver where it gets stored for later use. This particular sugar compound is linked to NAFLD or Fatty Liver. Eat fruit in moderation if you must but make it unripe fruit. As fruit ripens the fructose gets converted to glucose hence the sweetness. So green bananas not yellow or black ones. Avoid tropical fruits like Mango. Avoid dried fruits too since the process of drying concentrates the sugar content.

One -OSE missing from the previous list, and which is a common hidden sugar additive is Maltose. Emulsified Starch is another hidden sugar. Maltodextrin is another that creeps in and pushes the bgl readings northwards. Sometimes they are hidden away a 'E' numbers. Eg Maltose is E 636.

I will add MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) not because it causes raised blood sugar, but because it increases Insulin secretion and Insulin resistance, thus is not just a flavour enhancer, but a carb enhancer. So it may amplify the spike from any meal you eat with gravy.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Tim Spector has just provided a report on why it is better to start meals with a fibre food (this included seeds and green veg) and avoid juices completely. Advice is for everyone but very relevant for T2 diabetics.

Juicing gives you a high glucose hit without the fibre.

Reactions: Dual Stream