1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Breaking a fast

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Roggg, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Roggg

Roggg · Well-Known Member

I know the advice to break a "longer" fast gently, and am prepared to do so if needed. The background here is I have done a variety of fasts over the last few months ranging between 16 hours (barely fasting at all) up to about 36 hours (skip a day). I have never given a second thought to how to break it and have never suffered any negative effects.

Today I'm at 40 hours fasting, and I feel pretty good so I'm considering just rolling with it until I feel like breaking it. My real question is, at what point is a fast long enough to need to be broken gently?

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I’ve only once gone as far as 48 hours fasting and was fine eating a normal sized meal. Can’t remember what it was though!

3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thinking back into pre-history to when I did my one and only week long fast, I knew I had to stop it when I started being repulsed by food and the head games started... it was also v difficult to start eating again.

no fantasies of roast beef and curries for me. A couple of mouthfuls was more than enough.

I suggest you start with a small, light meal. Give it a couple of hours and then decide whether you want more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

How long were you thinking of going?
    Definitely restart eating with something small.. I once broke a 7 day fast with a keto Sunday roast and suffered for it!
    Maybe a slice of ham or a small piece of cheese or even a rasher or two of bacon.

5. Roggg

Roggg · Well-Known Member

I ended up breaking my fast at... I think 46 hours. I broke it with normal (ie low carb) eating, and so far so good. It was easier than I expected. This is my first fast beyond 36 hours. I only broke it because I received a shipment of pork rinds, and I couldn't wait to try them.

Thanks for the advice all. I think I will probably think of 48 hours as the cut-off for extra care in breaking the fast unless something wonky happens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Merrylizard1314

Merrylizard1314 · Well-Known Member

I am on day 6 of a 7day waterfast and I am feeling fine, perhaps a little tired. I am wondering if I should continue the fast for another 7 days or stop for 2/3 days and then do another shorter fast?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook