brightning things up

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
I been looking at the insulin pens and they look very boring. Can you get pretty ones or intresting ones? If your unlucky enough to have to have injections all your life it would be fun to look at it as an accessory i would of thought.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Depending on the make they do come in different colours, mine (NovoPen 4) is blue. The insulin pens given to children are even more colourful and look far from boring.

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
i have only seen a couple of good kids ones and even less for women. I think I'm gonna have to take a trip to the dragons den

Elc1112

Mine is a novo pen. Actually I have two. One is silver and the other multicoloured - that's about at fun as it gets. I have to admit, I couldn't care less what te own looks like. I'd rather they focused on making them smaller and more discrete so they are easier to carry around. That's just me though.

One of my pens is from the novo kids range. It's not exactly interesting (just multicoloured) but it did come in a pretty carry case lol.

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I so agree with you.
I don't use pens anymore as I have a pump but I have always wondered why most meter cases are black!!!

I am so pleased that I have just received a case for my lime green bayer contour which is lime green with white spots. Its fabulous.

Black things are very difficult to find in your handbag so the more colourful the better as far as I am concerned.

mistee71

Dislikes
i got that case. It took me a long time to deceide whether i wanted the green with spots or the orange with spots.How do you get the pens then. Do you get given a choice? I'm supposed to be startin insulin tomorrow and haven't a clue what to expect? Do they do it there and then or do you have to go to a hospital? My diabetic nurse is on holiday and is not back til the 24th

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mistee71 said:
i got that case. It took me a long time to deceide whether i wanted the green with spots or the orange with spots.How do you get the pens then. Do you get given a choice? I'm supposed to be startin insulin tomorrow and haven't a clue what to expect? Do they do it there and then or do you have to go to a hospital? My diabetic nurse is on holiday and is not back til the 24th

You get the pens on prescription prescribed by your gp/diabetes consultant, don't know what they'll do with do regards to showing you how to administer the insulin.

Good luck anyway! :)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey mistee!

I've answered your other post about what happened to me at the appointment for going onto insulin.

Sadly, there was no choice of pen colour! I got given a plastic silver clickstar pen for basal and a dark blue one for bolus. I've now changed to the Humapen Luxura HD (or something like that) for bolus and it's dark green. When the consultant said the DSN would sort out which colour pens to give me I tought I was going to get a choice. For some reason I thought I'd be able to match them to my clothes :lol: I was picturing a red one and maybe a chrome one :lol: It's amazing what goes through your head while you're sitting in a hospital waiting room waiting to be put on insulin :lol:

Smidge

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
I don't use insulin but if I did I'd want an awesome pen.

I DO use a lancet thingy and believe me I'd happily pay somebody a LOT if they made a Hello Kitty one! :D

jopar

Lilley&Lilley used to do a 1.5ml cartridge and pens for children, the pens used to come in various designs I had one with bucket and spade on and another with backside of Elephants on...

But if you check out most of the manufactures they actual do quite a range of coloured pens, just that the NHS only tend to order in the basic colours.. You can buy pens from manufacturers but they will cost in the region of £25-£30 though..

You could always ask the chemist when you take your pen scripted in for a particular colour or version of pen (need to look at the manufacturers website) and they might order that one up for you

iHs

One of the best insulin pens that I used was Novo's matt silver 1.5ml cartridge pen. The pen was able to accept any make of insulin pen cartridge and was small and discreet because of its colour. The way got lost when cartridges were made in 3ml and then came very big insulin pens. Most people I think would like to inject insulin wherever they may be without drawing any attention to themselves by onlookers gazing at brightly coloured pens.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I'm a big fan of the disposable pens, grey for lantus solostar and orange and navy for novorapid, which is good so that they don't get mixed up.

So many times my pen is in a different room to my meal, that it makes sense to have a few disposable pens on the go in different locations (handbag /kitchen/bedside table for night time lantus etc), so that I no longer drive myself crazy looking for the one pen all the time.