Britain's fattest man

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I watched the TV programme about this poor man. I wept with him. He was being cared for by a devoted carer who obviously thought that she was doing right by him by preparing low fat meals; still of gargantuan proportions. Obviously no-one involved in his care knew that low Carb is the most effective diet for most of us. So he lay immobile in bed with his breakfast of 3 slices of toast and jam, under the illusion it would help him. Eventually he came to the attention of a top baryatric surgeon who determined that only surgery with a 50/50 risk of death could help. They went to a lot of trouble to arrange the surgery, ; even shoring up the hospital floor and providing a wider bed and operating table. Surprisingly enough they admitted him to the hospital a bit before the surgery, and put him on a low calorie diet . He lost significant weight in just days. Couldn't they have given the carers instructions which matched that diet? He was immobile and couldn't have gone to the kitchen to get food himself.. He survived surgery and a further operation to remove a huge fat lump on his leg.
What rather surprised me was that the "D" word was never mentioned. If fat is the cause of Diabetes, wouldn't Britain's fattest man be a prime candidate?
The man's life was put at risk because the arrogant medical profession believe their propaganda on[un]healthy eating. and also that without their intervention using toxic drugs or life threatening surgery, problems cannot be solved.
Would that tthe poor man had reeceived psycholgical support and a truly halthy diet. He obviously had will, because he survived everything they threw at him.
Hana

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow.
Maybe I'm a wimp, but I'm glad I didn't see it.

I hope he's doing well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very sad for the poor chap but pleased that he got the help he needed.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped watching when he left the hospital against medical orders in the second episode, so no idea how it all ended.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

If you think this story is sad, the programme "Half Ton Mum" will break your heart :(

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
it can't be plain old greedy, eating is so much more for the mind than the body, who would willingly do that to themselves? which surely means fat people aren't to blame for being fat? a lack of will power? which is also from the mind, being fat in my opinion is no less an illness than any other mental related one, it should therefore be given the same respect as any other, not the accepted abuse big people get

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
We watched a couple of episodes ..... @jack412 is this the one where he lived with his 2 sisters, the older one was his carer? My first reaction to this poor man was, as mentioned above, where does he get the food from? If the sister was cooking it for him .... or going out and buying it for him

Also, when he had the bariatric surgery there was no mention of any therapy to address what was going on mentally. Bariatric surgery only addresses the physical side of obesity ... I know people who have had it yet remain morbidly obese because they get round the not being able to eat much by eating icecream and chocolate (as it melts and goes down like liquid) and drink a bottle of wine every night.

As also mentioned above, there was no mention of diabetes or insulin resistance ...... maybe he (and others like him) are just not genetically pre-disposed to diabetes. We only got to see 2 episodes. After he discharged himself from hospital it suddenly stopped recording .. unless there was a glitch with Foxtel. Dunno what happened to him after that.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't finish watching the program, but other posters said he died after discharging himself from hospital against doctor's orders.