BS Level "Hi"

seansmit17

Ok, so my BS reading is "Hi" so at least 32mmol (Not sure what my meter reads up to but i know it reads to 32mmol)

No keytones in urine so far.

Whats the best thing to do now?

Im still taking my metformin as usual, Just about to eat dinner.

arrrrrghhh lol

Also, is it true that with BS levels of 30mmol or more i could end up in a coma?

I ask as this is what ive heard but when i was first diagnosed with diabetes, i was taken to a&e and had a reading of 47mmol and was still awake to the surprise of the doctors.

Cheers

pianoman

If in doubt seek medical advice.

Your profile says Type 2 Diabetes... is that correct? On Metformin only or any other Meds? Insulin?

I'd wash, thoroughly rinse and dry my hands before re-testing. Ensure that the test strips are in date and if my meter needs coding, check that as well. Was it a new batch of strips? Do you have any others to try or even another meter?

How long since you last ate?

Are you sick? Flu, infection or similar? Are you on steroids?

Did you test earlier today and if so how was your BG then?

Stay well hydrated, keep testing your BG. If it does not come down or continues to rise and/or you start to see ketones, seek medical advice.

seansmit17

Hi, yes T2 and im on a diet and met thats it.

I last ate at 12Pm today, just a cheese sandwich.

Im not ill at all, no cold etc.

I was 1t 19.2mmol before lunch. Met has not been working well for me of late but i have an appointment to see my consultant at the diabetic clinic on Thursday.

I just did some more test after washing my hands and they are all over the place.

so today i have had readings of 19.2, Hi, 21, 28, 32.5 and 28.2

the last 5 reading were done in the last 10 mins.

I have a no coding meter and strips (Bayer Contour)

WhitbyJet

Meanwhile drink plenty of water, drink a pint every hour, this will help dilute the glucose and 'wash it' out of your system,
Keep on drinking a pint every hour or a bit more if you can manage, then test in 2hrs see if its gone down some.
You say you have no ketones, hmmm, but yes very high bs levels can slip you into a coma.
If your bg has not gone down after drinking LOADS and remain high after 2hrs then please call NHS direct for advice or take yourself to A&E.
All the best

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I ended up in A&E paralized down my left side with BG at 35+
Doctors started treating me for a stroke until my BG taken
then up to ward placed on insulin until BG came down to normal levels,
Thats how i found out I was in the T2 club

week later before my left arm was 100%

Best to call NHS direct for advice

Bob

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
With those levels you MUST seek medical advice. We can only give general advice & background info.

seansmit17

Ok, 2, hours 30 mins ish later..

18.6mmol

2 pints of water so far and 1 extra metformin tab to take me to the max daily dose (i normal take 2 tabs 2 times a day but took 3 for my last dose) to try and help get it down and it.. "seems" to be working

Will keep up with the water..

As i side note... i feel like carp now lol :(

RussG

Sean

Your levels are very high. You really should seek help from your doctor first thing or A&E if they start going back up or you start vomiting, are breathless, feel confused or have ketones. Keep drinking water and please see someone as soon as possible. Metformin isn't going to touch these sort of levels and only really gives a 1-2mmol reduction.

seansmit17

10.2 at 6pm after eating only toast and taking my meds at 9am this morning....

Also been to see my consultant at the diabetic clinic and im being put on more meds.

I cant remember what the new pill is called but i have to take half a tablet twice a day for 1 month then move up to 2 tabs a day with food.

He also warned me that this stuff really works well and will bring my blood sugar down better than metformin and Sitagliptin and thus a higher chance of hypos

So now im taking:

Metformin 2x 500Mg tablets 2 time a day
Sitaglaptin 1x100Mg once a day
Fenofibrate 1x 160mg once a day
Simvastatin 1x40mg at night

I feel like a right drugy lol

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Good to hear your BG's came down, good advice from everyone who posted :)

Another thing to mention is to avoid exercise whilst you have high BG's as this can only exaggerate the problem.

Water is also good for flushing glucose and ketones, be careful to know the difference between purposely drinking and 'needing' to drink, if you find it turns to an unsatiable thirst it's best to seek medical advice as this would indicate your BG's have been high for too long or you have ketones.

I'm glad your DR sorted out tweaking/adding meds. Hope it makes you feel better, we all know how cr*ppy you feel with high BG's!

If your at a higher risk of hypo's best to up your BG testing until you settle into your new medication routine :)

all the best!