Burger without the bun

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made a burger with no bun according to a recipe and it came out well.
1. Beef mince and some bread crumbs. You can mix the mince with the bread crumbs and make a burger to fry. Bread crumbs are carbohydrates, so I think you can be sparing or possibly skip the bread crumbs.
2. Diced red onions fried in butter and balsamic oil.
3. Salad made of baby leaves, chopped tomatoes and balsamic oil.
4. More sliced tomatoes and sliced avocado.
5. Grated cheese to put on the burgers while they're still frying.

So you drizzle the onions over the burger and tomatoes and avocado on your plate, and then can help yourself to the baby leaf salad.

It's not terribly high in carbs, about 20g, but I think if you skimp on the bread crumbs you can get that down further.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not terribly high in carbs, about 20g, but I think if you skimp on the bread crumbs you can get that down further.
All the ingredients you used except for the bread crumbs and possibly the balsamic oil (check the label) are very low carb. It takes a lot of breadcrumbs to get to 20 grams of carbs, so the meal may well have been lower in carbs than you think :)

There is no need to mix bread crumbs with the minced meat to make a nice burger, so next time you can simply do without :)

Reactions: Languagelearner

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Carl’s Jr. sell a burger wrapped in lettuce. It’s not too bad. I get the burger with avocado. They don’t have any low carb sides though.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made a burger with no bun according to a recipe and it came out well.
1. Beef mince and some bread crumbs. You can mix the mince with the bread crumbs and make a burger to fry. Bread crumbs are carbohydrates, so I think you can be sparing or possibly skip the bread crumbs.
2. Diced red onions fried in butter and balsamic oil.
3. Salad made of baby leaves, chopped tomatoes and balsamic oil.
4. More sliced tomatoes and sliced avocado.
5. Grated cheese to put on the burgers while they're still frying.

So you drizzle the onions over the burger and tomatoes and avocado on your plate, and then can help yourself to the baby leaf salad.

Or if you really want the crumbs, you could mix in some almond flour instead?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds very nice :) You can skip the breadcrumbs completely for anyone low carb/keto, I make all kinds of burgers and never add crumbs. If you feel you need a binder then a little bit of beaten egg but to be honest I never use that either,
A burger press is a great little tool and they’re only a couple of pounds - make nice neat, all one size burgers and the pressing helps with the binding

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lamb burgers are my favourite .Add some finely chopped chilli and garlic to the minced lamb season add a splash of cold water and mix well form into burger shape and fry or BBQ .I make a sort of cheese crisp by putting grated cheese in a shallow dish and blasting in the microwave for about 30 seconds then check if not turning slightly brown blast for a little longer .2 of these with the burger sandwiched between them is better than any bun
Carol