Nina8786

Hi, I’m 24 years old and have been type 1 for 13 years, for the majority I have tried my best to control my sugars but not been the best. I am on ramipril for kidney protection and recently had an eye exam where it was noted I have cataracts in both eyes but they do not need treatment as of yet. I am absolutely petrified that I have caused too much damage to reverse any of it? I am being very strict with myself and my last HBA1C was 63%. Any advice or help would be appreciated

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m 24 years old and have been type 1 for 13 years, for the majority I have tried my best to control my sugars but not been the best. I am on ramipril for kidney protection and recently had an eye exam where it was noted I have cataracts in both eyes but they do not need treatment as of yet. I am absolutely petrified that I have caused too much damage to reverse any of it? I am being very strict with myself and my last HBA1C was 63%. Any advice or help would be appreciated
Hi Nina
So glad you are reaching out, I don’t know if you have any temporary or permanent damage but the main thing is that you are doing the right thing now. That is the best option and hopefully as time goes on you can deal with any issues that come up but you should start to feel a lot better in general with lower blood sugars. Are you eating low carb and / or exercising more?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am being very strict with myself and my last HBA1C was 63%. Any advice or help would be appreciated

Well hopefully you don't mean 63% Do you mean 6.3% or 63mmol/mol ? The former is an awesome reading (I'm so jealous) and the latter isn't bad(I've had far higher).

I was diagnosed aged 8 before glucometers, and my control in my teens consisted of never forgetting my insulin (fixed doses) and drinking lots of water when I got very very thirsty. I think my initial hba1c when I was given my first glucometer was about 13%??? (Or maybe 10%, it was so long ago I don't remember). My team handed me a glucometer and said they'd prefer my levels to be lower. :) Over the years since then I've had some ups and downs but in my opinion the important thing to remember it is never too late to improve your bgs. Yes, diabetic complications are scary, but a lot of them can be improved, stalled or reversed by improved bgs and modern technology (I love my cgm) is there to help you.

What sort of diabetic regime do you have at the moment? Do you have access to a cgm? Pump?

Reactions: sunspots

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @Nina8786

It sounds like you are having a scary time. I'm sure more people will post here shortly but a virtual hug from me.

Welcome and good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Eye damage caused by diabetes tends to be retinal. I'm not sure cataract can be caused by diabetes