1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Butter?

Discussion in 'Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes' started by Kristin251, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I was actually looking for this info yesterday and it apparently depends on the fat content - the higher the better the cream will freeze. Anything over 35% fat should apparently be OK: https://www.grahamsfamilydairy.com/news-events/blog/can-you-freeze-double-cream
    And for your US heavy cream - another how to do it link:
    https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-freeze-heavy-cream-1388376

I've always eaten butter since I was a small child over 70 years ago - my mum was a great fan of it and one of her great joys in her old age was when they retired to Cormwall and lived close to a farm shop that sold their own butter. She was a great believer in having a little bread with her butter and lived to over 95 - however my magerine eating mother-in-law was well over 100 at her death - so go figure! :wideyed:

Robbity

3. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

I use 35%fat cream so that explains why i don’t have a problem with freezing.

4. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

This is too funny. Our ALLOWED BACK INTO WISONSIN, the dairy state where KG was illegal to sell here now has ‘ product of US on the label. Lol

I have those 2 oz condiment cups and just froze it. Haven’t tried it yet but ingred were cream and gellan gum ( yuk). No carbs so just cream

Do you get cream without gellan gum or carrageenan.

5. BunsenHoneydew

BunsenHoneydew Prediabetes · Active Member

What's special about Kerry gold?

6. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

It's main claim to fame is that it's made with milk from Irish "grass fed" cows, which I've always assumed is the case with UK butter anyway, but may not always be the case in the USA? It's apparently richer in nutrients than that from grain/non grass fed animals.

Robbity

7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

It is from grass fed cows and tastes delicious. The cows are predominantly grass fed all year round. According to the website, 85% grass fed. 15% supplements.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hotpepper20000

We sure do. Just having a strong cup of coffee and cream. Nothing but cream on the ingredient list.

9. sunburst69

sunburst69 Type 2 · Active Member

Other posts address the technical differences - all I know is that it's the best tasting I can buy from the store here in Florida.

10. BunsenHoneydew

BunsenHoneydew Prediabetes · Active Member

I'm going to give it a try. See if I can "taste the difference" LOL

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I’ll have to search a little and see just how bad gellan gum is. Some have carrageenan and I don’t touch that

So did an experiment last night with butter. Wasn’t perfect as I couldn’t sleep and had ahalf glass wine and a nut and butter fest.
    Went to bed at 81. After the gorge around 2 am I was 98. Fasting at 7 am 78. Mine hasn’t been that low in a long time. It used to be but not since my virus.

Hopefully I won’t need the midnight wine and nuts and will just eat the butter before bed for a truer experiment

12. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

It’s comfimed.
    Butter both before meals keeps bs lower.

Even better, it totally helps my DP.

Not too much of a hardship!!!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. Hotpepper20000

Yipeee Butter!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Yay

The most amazing thing is the fasting change. I might have to drop basal a bit. I did last night and woke up at 91 instead of 120 and I took one less unit.

15. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Glad to see you have found something to help you that works, Thank you for sharing this experiment.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Who knows.... maybe I’m doing something else different but I don’t think so and it’s been pretty consistent. I know my meals are the same exact thing.

I’m giving a very loud knock on wood.

17. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

An in-depth comparison between Kerrygold and organic butter here:

https://www.nwedible.com/grassfed-vs-organic-butter-and-which-one-will-kill-you-faster/

• Like Like x 1
  18. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My favourite is the butter with sea salt from Lidl. Absolutely divine to eat on its own.

Bad news on the lactose front, though. There is some in cream, just not very much. I am assuming that the carbohydrates listed on the pack are predominantly lactose but that the fat buffers the lactose for the lactose intolerant. There is even a tiny trace in butter (allegedly) although at 0.1 grams per 100 grams you aren't really going to notice..

19. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

20. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think the message from this report is that the grass used for pasture in the USA may have more contaminants than the grass in Ireland. So the dioxin pecking order is Irish Grass fed -> USA Organic -> USA grass fed

I do know that Irish grass usually gets washed very thoroughly (in the finest natural rain water) before the cows are allowed to eat it.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook