Butternut squash - good or bad?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I eat quite a bit of butternut squash tonight, because I thought it was low-carb (it is in the Collins carb book), but when I found it in the Fat, Calorie and Carb Bible, it said it was much higher. I've googled it, but every site seems to have a different carb value for it. Can anyone give me a definitive carb content for 100g? As far as its effect on me, my BGs were in single figures (just) after 2 hours and on their way down within three, so not ideal, but certainly not the worst thing I've eaten recently! I guess I'll try a smaller portion in future, but it would be good to know the carb value so I can work out my insulin better.

Thanks

Smidge

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Collins carb counter gives 2 g carb per 100 g - negligible.

What do you eat with it to raise your BG ?????????????

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I would stick with the Calorie Carb & Fat Bible. (2010)
Butternut Squash. Baked. Average........7.4g carbs per 100g. Fairly high for a Veg.

This one similar......8.3g per 100g. (2011)
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/ca ... Squash.htm

Plus this one from Tesco......8.3g per 100g (2011)
http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/8/xpi53414288.htm

We have had too many examples of the Collins Gem Books having glaring mistakes in them over the years. I no longer trust them as they don't even answer e-mails asking about the discrepancy...seems they want your money but after that you are on your own ! Very poor customer service.......

So....CC&FB for me every time, it's one I trust. :D It is also updated EVERY year !

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Google "nutrition info" for a food and you'll usually find the FDA site which is pretty good. You jst have to know to remove the fibre from your calculation. Americans have it in with the carbs[which chemically it is, but it's not digestible]
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Butternut squash is a good source of fiber and potassium too, my wife makes a mean soup and its absolutely delicious. :)

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I like them sliced and drizzled with Olive Oil, baked in the oven till the skin is going black. Absolutely delicious.

I can't eat too much though as it does raise my Bg levels. Testing is the only way to find out if they are suitable for yourself. Small portions do me no harm. :D

ally5555

Ken - you are right!

just checked it Uk food tables!

Just shows that little collins book is a bit dodgy!!

Allyx

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. From my BG rise I guessed that they must be higher than the Collins book said - but it's often difficult for me to judge whether the carb was higher than anticipated or whether my pancreas is just having a particularly bad day (I'm suspected Type 1.5, and sometimes my pancreas decides to work and sometimes not - makes for an interesting food challenge!)

Smaller portions of butternut squash from now on and a pinch of salt with the Collins book :lol:

Smidge

ossie66

I use an app called Carbs and Cals. Gives you pictures of items on plates to compare sizes. It says a 130g portion is 10g carbs. Pics are good for portion sizes if weight not known

GRAHAM3551

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I eat quite a bit of butternut squash tonight, because I thought it was low-carb (it is in the Collins carb book), but when I found it in the Fat, Calorie and Carb Bible, it said it was much higher. I've googled it, but every site seems to have a different carb value for it. Can anyone give me a definitive carb content for 100g? As far as its effect on me, my BGs were in single figures (just) after 2 hours and on their way down within three, so not ideal, but certainly not the worst thing I've eaten recently! I guess I'll try a smaller portion in future, but it would be good to know the carb value so I can work out my insulin better.

Thanks

Smidge
Hi Smidge,
As far as I can see, looking at various sites, the Glycaemic load of Butternut Squash increases greatly with baking, we tend to stick to small amounts of boiled Butternut Squash, check it out,
Graham