caarb counting

serankine

My daughter was diagnosed in late November 2010 having type1. She is 4 yrs old and on Nova mix twice aday. I was wondering about carb counting. Should we start since it is all new to us? and we will have to start it later. Just wondering if any one could help us? :?:

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hiya

we carb count but we didnt when we were on the novo mixes not sure how it works as with carb counting u match the insulin dose to the rapid insulin which u dont do with a mix. it can never hurt to learn how to carb count tho i guess, someone may have a better answer for u than i can give tho :D

anna marie

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
I would learn knowledge is power :mrgreen: plus it will help in the long run

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even although you don't need to match the carbs your child eats agains the insulin you're injecting I would still take the opportunity to learn to carb count. There quite likely will come a time in the future where you want to change to a basal/bolus regime and need to carb count. But even whilst you're using the mixed insulins it would be useful to keep each meal to a fairly consistent number of carbs. For example, if you have a low carb breakfast one day and then a high carb breakfast another day you may find problems with highs or lows because the same amount of insulin is injected each day but not the same amount of carbs are being eaten. If you can be aware of this then it will be easier to try and keep some consistency which would result in better control. Does that make sense?

serankine

Thanks for all your advice. We are looking at changing to the four injections in the next few months. Its goingto be hard since my daughter still cant get use to the injections.
But at least it will give a little bit of flexability.
Are there any good books i should invest in on carb counting or cooking that any body would recommened? :?:
Since it is all still new to us. I am still trying to explain everything to all my family and to
Leah (aged 4) about T1
Thanks for all your help