Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As some of you know I don't low carb, happily sitting at 130g most days.
However, my husband, non- D, slightly overweight, has expressed an interest for weight loss.
I have explained about needing to up his fats and protein to avoid hunger and obviously know about diet doctor from you guys. But what other tips should I be thinking of for food prep? And how many carbs allow weight loss as he is convinced that a banana for breakfast needs to stay (I have pointed out the carb content already).

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think you can set a hard and fast rule for the number of carbs that allow weight loss. As a confirmed ketogenic eater I’d always advocate going as low as possible - best way to beat cravings and keeps things simple: if he doesn’t want to be weighing and measuring, cutting all the main carbs keeps things simple. However plenty of examples on here of people eating quite a lot more carbs than me and losing weight.

One approach might be to go cold turkey for a few weeks and then add in more carbs until weight loss stalls and reduce down again - a la Atkins. Much more complicated though! But without diabetes to worry about, throwing in the old banana or other carby treat shouldn’t be an issue.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Diakat
I started by eating 100g carbs per day for the first six weeks of my low carb journey. If your hubby ate the same as you he’d only have to cut out the banana and he’d virtually be there! ;)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks @Rachox - he may actually have an easier time as he eats meat, which I don't. So dinner will be fairly simple, lots of meat and green veg for him! His trouble seems to be snacking, but of course if I can fill him up with main meals then he should not need to. I'll try to formulate a meal plan allowing 100g a day with snacks. That sounds like a good intro without feeding him anything that he may regard as weird.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Diakat . If banana is essential how about my current breakfast .
1/2 banana
1/2 avocado
Large spoon of peanut butter and flaxseed respectively
Semi skimmed milk ( approx 300ml for me ) depending on how thick or thin you want final concoction.
All in a mixing jug and blend with a hand blender £10 Morrisons.
I leave in fridge overnight and eat with a spoon next morning.
Keeps me going from 5am until around 10.30 am

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Diakat . If banana is essential how about my current breakfast .
1/2 banana
1/2 avocado
Large spoon of peanut butter and flaxseed respectively
Semi skimmed milk ( approx 300ml for me ) depending on how thick or thin you want final concoction.
All in a mixing jug and blend with a hand blender £10 Morrisons.
I leave in fridge overnight and eat with a spoon next morning.
Keeps me going from 5am until around 10.30 am
That sounds brilliant! He likes smoothies and that sounds pretty hearty to me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Rachox - he may actually have an easier time as he eats meat, which I don't. So dinner will be fairly simple, lots of meat and green veg for him! His trouble seems to be snacking, but of course if I can fill him up with main meals then he should not need to. I'll try to formulate a meal plan allowing 100g a day with snacks. That sounds like a good intro without feeding him anything that he may regard as weird.

Some ideas for low carb snacks are nuts, berries, Hartleys 10cal jellies and Adonis seed bars.

Reactions: flexi06

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Some ideas for low carb snacks are nuts, berries, Hartleys 10cal jellies and Adonis seed bars.
Nuts going on the shopping list. I knew the forum would help sort this out for us. Huge grin.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Diakat . Get him doing the hoovering if he doesn't already. Gotta be a calorie burner to burn a little bit of weight;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha!
Excellent suggestions above. :D

The one caution I would make with nuts is that some people find they can stall weight loss, mainly because they are astonishingly dense nutrition (aka calories ;) )

The diet doc recipes are really great - they give ideas to inspire, and then provide easy to follow recipes with quantities, and even a shopping list. Very easy. And deliciously inspiring use of herbs and spices in mayo and butter and sauces.

I would suggest that if he is planning to go LC AND lose weight, then he transitions to LC first.
Some people (my husband) find that this is enough, and the weight falls gently away without needing to curt down or calorie count. Those options are always available, of course, but they can be introduced later, if necessary. :)

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nuts going on the shopping list. I knew the forum would help sort this out for us. Huge grin.
You may need to weight out the nuts and put them in a little bag or container. It's easy to over snack on nuts and they are quite calorific!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me I never been sure if it little and often, keep it topped up or strict 2 to 3 feeds a day.
If I am in a serious "going to lose a bit" mode then snacking and nibbling when preparing food for others (I is the cook) is a complete no no. Nuts are great as a snack but once opened they tend to be a temptation, so they get band.
I just gone through 4 weeks of no weekday lunches, just a cup of hot Marmite, surprisingly easy... went from 73 t 69 kg... coming off as no longer have any jeans that fit... without a belt.. looking at 28s yesterday.
Given the above, I would find a banana a real challenge, which is sad as I used to love them mashed up in a roll for mid morning coffee......:arghh:

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Olives & nuts or boiled egg for snacks

Favourite Quick lunches

Baked Camembert with raw veg
Cold meats, olives cheese
Smoked haddock poached egg & spinach

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The one caution I would make with nuts is that some people find they can stall weight loss, mainly because they are astonishingly dense nutrition (aka calories ;) )
You may need to weight out the nuts and put them in a little bag or container. It's easy to over snack on nuts and they are quite calorific!

I have bought little snack sized resealable bags from Tesco and decant nuts into them in 25- 30g portions. I love nuts as a snack as they take a while to eat and I find them quite filling.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
If he's non diabetic and wants to lose weight he only needs to reduce his total intake of kJ. It doesn't matter where it comes from.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I too would caution about nuts. I use them to stop weight loss. In the early days I found that one of the hardest habits to break was snacking between meals. I beleive that it is snacking on the carbier foods that can add weight to just about anyone. So while I was trying to quit the habit I snacked on such things as celery with a dollop of Boursin, ham slices or salami etc i.e heavier on the protein, fats and fibre than on the carbs.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I had to Google that one Guzz, I must have lived a sheltered life not to have heard or seen that on sale before.

Local Woolies have it for $6.50 for 80 gram pack.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/64393/boursin-herb-garlic-cheese

Try a little bit (a few dots) with scrambled eggs or spread on low carb bread (toasted) of your choice. Because it's a soft cheese you need to be careful of the amounts you use but I still lost weight using it to snack on.

Reactions: Diakat and hankjam