Prediabetes Can’t stay in ketosis

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
My Bg is 6.2 most mornings

But my weight has been going up so started a Keto low carb average 20/30 carbs pr day.
Went right into ketosis, list 4.5 lb the first week.
Nothing changed but dropped out of ketosis and now gained half a lb.
I’m confused.

Can anyone help please.
I use olive oil, butter, coconut oil. Good quality protein, fish chicken meat, no beans or pulses. No bread pasta rice potato.
I am on Antidepressants and tablet for Hiatus hernia.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

But my weight has been going up so started a Keto low carb average 20/30 carbs pr day.
I’m confused.

Can anyone help please.
I use olive oil, butter, coconut oil. Good quality protein, fish chicken meat, no beans or pulses. No bread pasta rice potato.
My advice would be not to worry about being in ketosis or not. If you are measuring them in your urine then also bear in mind that you are measuring what your body is not utilising.
Even if measuring your blood try sticking with it for at least 6 weeks to allow your body to adapt.
Other than that keep an eye on other indicators such as blood pressure, waist size and wellbeing/energy levels. Your weight by itself isn't a great indicator of fat loss.
Your first week weight loss will be mainly fluid and half a IB is nothing much to be concerned about!
If you fail to lose weigh then consider if you've been doing the following common keto errorts:
- snacking or eating low carb foods to fill your carb cravings rather than eating to satiety e.g. salted panuts, bulletproof coffee.
Its early days though and I hope you can give yourself time to adjust.

Reactions: EllieM

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I’m confused.

Can anyone help please.
I found it isn't a steady process. Tends to go more like bumping down steps. I found that there were periods where nothing seemed to happen and then the process restarted itself.

Having said that, you might need to review what you're eating (and drinking) just to make sure. Milk (in tea) was one of my "hidden" carbs.

Reactions: Outlier

zerocarbisbest

from watching hundreds of videos, what I can say is keep the insulin level in your body low, fish(all meats I guess), fruits, they spike insulin which pushes your blood sugar down, and the insulin is what prevents your body from burning its own fat. IF is powerful, anything you put in your mouth will raise insulin, so on top of eating the right foods giving a decent space of hours inbetween meals will do wonders. so in terms of losing weight, fruits, animal protein, eating every 3hours, extenous exercising is counter productive. Exception to fruit would be avocados and coconuts, walking or exercises where you dont lose your breath are great, hope it helps.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have I missed something? Are we saying that animal proteins cause insulin spikes? I thought carbs did that?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have I missed something? Are we saying that animal proteins cause insulin spikes? I thought carbs did that?
I expect it’s some of the vegan advocates that manage to put animal products onto every “bad” list going that have made the videos mentioned. Nothing wrong with a vegan choice in and of itself, but I have an issue with the bogus anti meat claims made in an effort to support that choice, and for type 2’s the carbs that easily come alongside it that can be an issue for the uninformed

zerocarbisbest

according to the videos, a rough idea, carbs raise 100%, protein 56%, fats 3% (btw vegetable oil are very damaging), and there are other things such as: when u eat a whole egg 50% of the protein is used to building cells, the other 50% becomes sugar, meats 30% is used to build cells the other 70% becomes sugar, plants protein are used 17%(including the whey protein shakes) and the other 83% becomes sugar. English is not my main language, if I type a thing or 2 wrongly, please search for videos and watch it correctly xD.

zerocarbisbest

I expect it’s some of the vegan advocates that manage to put animal products onto every “bad” list going that have made the videos mentioned. Nothing wrong with a vegan choice in and of itself, but I have an issue with the bogus anti meat claims made in an effort to support that choice, and for type 2’s the carbs that easily come alongside it that can be an issue for the uninformed
I eat meat, but in the interest of reducing insulin in the body I stayed away from it for a month as I did for fruits, now I'm at a better weight, I am back to them, moderately.

zerocarbisbest

huge spikes from carbs yes, I was addressing more about the presence of insulin as we eat proteins, since the question was about not staying in ketosis, and I believe in the presence of insulin the body cannot burn the belly fat for ketones.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat meat, but in the interest of reducing insulin in the body I stayed away from it for a month as I did for fruits, now I'm at a better weight, I am back to them, moderately.
So how can you tell if it was the fruit or the meat that made the difference?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
according to the videos, a rough idea, carbs raise 100%, protein 56%, fats 3% (btw vegetable oil are very damaging), and there are other things such as: when u eat a whole egg 50% of the protein is used to building cells, the other 50% becomes sugar, meats 30% is used to build cells the other 70% becomes sugar, plants protein are used 17%(including the whey protein shakes) and the other 83% becomes sugar. English is not my main language, if I type a thing or 2 wrongly, please search for videos and watch it correctly xD.
Whose video, where the evidence comes from and how it is selected from all the available evidence is extremely important, ie what conflicts do they have and are cherry picking data? In this forum we usually provide details of the source if we quote specifics such as you have so others can check for themselves the quality of the claim.

Whilst some protein “may” be converted into glucose via gluconeogenis this is not a set number and is circumstances dependant. For instance fat adapted people utilising ketones seem to have little issue with proteins causing rises. However for those dependent on carbs for energy, especially when those carbs are temporarily missing, then protein is more influential.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
huge spikes from carbs yes, I was addressing more about the presence of insulin as we eat proteins, since the question was about not staying in ketosis, and I believe in the presence of insulin the body cannot burn the belly fat for ketones.
Thank you for explaining. The problem I have with this is that if you don't eat carbs or protein, you are left with just fats to survive on.
And as @HSSS says, can you let us know which video you watched?

zerocarbisbest

Whose video, where the evidence comes from and how it is selected from all the available evidence is extremely important, ie what conflicts do they have and are cherry picking data? In this forum we usually provide details of the source if we quote specifics such as you have so others can check for themselves the quality of the claim.

Whilst some protein “may” be converted into glucose via gluconeogenis this is not a set number and is circumstances dependant. For instance fat adapted people utilising ketones seem to have little issue with proteins causing rises. However for those dependent on carbs for energy, especially when those carbs are temporarily missing, then protein is more influential.
apologies I am new here and there was some restriction about posting links, but if you want some reference look for videos of Dr. Robert Lustig, Dr. Pradip Jamnadas, they are very good, in regards to the protein conversion itself it's a tough call cause I listened to a good 600 videos whilst driving and it might be hard to find exactly where I heard it from. Dr. Jason Fung has some nice info also. Since Dr. Eric Berg and Sten Eckberg are not "technically real doctors" you might not like them as references, but there are very good info there too. Problem I see personally is that people want to eat what they want/like and still improve the damage done for years, for this I do not have a solution for.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I eat meat or other protein I do not see 50% becoming glucose.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
both spike insulin and sugar, I cut them both off to reach my goals.
But you don’t know which elimination had which effect on you as you did them simultaneously is my point. It may well be just cutting the fruit alone would have had the same effect. If you want to cut the meat that’s fine but if you only did it to reduce bgl and insulin then it may well have been unnecessary. Testing with a meter before and after eating these foods will show the effect they have individually on your body.

zerocarbisbest

Thank you for explaining. The problem I have with this is that if you don't eat carbs or protein, you are left with just fats to survive on.
And as @HSSS says, can you let us know which video you watched?
I see your point, for about a whole month a few months back I would come home eat a whole coconut(takes time to chew), while chewing I would make a huge bowl with various salads and veggies(takes time too) and while chewing that I would make a HOMEMADE guacamole and eat, a couple times if still hungry I would fry some eggs. When carb dependent I found this very handy as to teach my body to live off of fats(i was eating once a day, althou it would take 2-3 hours to eat) I also had about 12 different types of nuts at my disposal. I started with 2 meals a day and worked it to one, using your sleep time and not eating 4hs before bed and 4hs after waking up is a great tool to use IF. If u cant handle 4, start with 3 or 2, gradually. Nowadays I barely have guacamole, sometimes an avocado a week, very little olive oil, but at the beginning to teach the body and also calm the hunger it was necessary.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
apologies I am new here and there was some restriction about posting links,
Ah yes forgot the limits on links for new members. Once you have a few posts this lifts. It’s to prevent spam.
Nor do most of us in here that test what we eat. Me for definite. Meat barely causes any rises at all, if any.

zerocarbisbest

sorry, almost missed your message, new here xD, ok so and remember I am a person not a doctor so I will try to type as best as I remember.... the excess glucose is a symptom of too much sugar intake, what we need to address is not "just" the excess sugar but the raises in insulin in the body, u will not see the increase of 50% glucose because its an increase in insulin, so the way I see it and I hope I am correct:

lets say u just eat a piece of healthy fish, since it raises insulin (which is what prevents body fat loss and main cause, beginning of disregulating the body's functions "insulin resistance - we want to fix this, by eating the fish, fruits, carbs, too much protein we are raising insulin making the resistance worse", so you will not see a glucose spike and rthink fish is good.

yes fish is very healthy but not when you want your insulin level as low as possible for as long as possible, hope it made sense.

zerocarbisbest

sorry, almost missed your message, new here xD, ok so and remember I am a person not a doctor so I will try to type as best as I remember.... the excess glucose is a symptom of too much sugar intake, what we need to address is not "just" the excess sugar but the raises in insulin in the body, u will not see the increase of 50% glucose because its an increase in insulin, so the way I see it and I hope I am correct:

lets say u just eat a piece of healthy fish, since it raises insulin (which is what prevents body fat loss and main cause, beginning of disregulating the body's functions "insulin resistance - we want to fix this, by eating the fish, fruits, carbs, too much protein we are raising insulin making the resistance worse", so you will not see a glucose spike and rthink fish is good.

yes fish is very healthy but not when you want your insulin level as low as possible for as long as possible, hope it made sense.
its a natural response, you eat protein the body wants to grow, so it releases insulin, growth hormone etc etc