Type 2 Can anyone answer this?

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Maybe about 4 weeks ago, since I first visit the doctor and find out I got diabetes. And then the doctor said I have to lose weight from 84 kg to 64kg (my height is 1m.64). So I don't know about that since it is two months to lose around almost 20 kg. And my doctor said if I can't lose weight, I might probably need to inject insulin.

But now I have lose 6.5 kg already. I know the target should be 64kg. But it is impossible to lose for two months.
Any idea about that. I need help!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe about 4 weeks ago, since I first visit the doctor and find out I got diabetes. And then the doctor said I have to lose weight from 84 kg to 64kg (my height is 1m.64). So I don't know about that since it is two months to lose around almost 20 kg. And my doctor said if I can't lose weight, I might probably need to inject insulin.

But now I have lose 6.5 kg already. I know the target should be 64kg. But it is impossible to lose for two months.
Hi @Ly_atdia if my maths is correct that's about 3 stone which seems to be a lot to lose in just 2 months! What was your BG level on diagnosis and do you know what your levels are now?

Reactions: Ly_atdia

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi, if you are diabetic and overweight the best thing you can do to help yourself is to lose weight but no one is going to lose all the weight they need to in 2 months its just not a realistic target.

I lost 4 stone (25kg) in my first year after diagnosis and a further stone (6.4kg) the following year and it helped me no end and I have held non diabetic blood glucose (bg) levels ever since, I still eat a lot less food than I used to eat but have now after 8 years living with T2 got used to eating smaller meals.

It helps a lot to reduce the carbs in your diet and i'll page @daisy1 who gives out the information to new members here which will help to explain it all to you and how you can help yourself.

Welcome to the forum and good luck

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Ly_atdia if my maths is correct that's about 3 stone which seems to be a lot to lose in just 2 months! What was your BG level on diagnosis and do you know what your levels are now?

The BG On the day is 202. But see this:
07ab2c2c9f8354ec3ca0d8ddad081d8c.jpg

Reactions: Prem51

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, if you are diabetic and overweight the best thing you can do to help yourself is to lose weight but no one is going to lose all the weight they need to in 2 months its just not a realistic target.

I lost 4 stone (25kg) in my first year after diagnosis and a further stone (6.4kg) the following year and it helped me no end and I have held non diabetic blood glucose (bg) levels ever since, I still eat a lot less food than I used to eat but have now after 8 years living with T2 got used to eating smaller meals.

It helps a lot to reduce the carbs in your diet and i'll page @daisy1 who gives out the information to new members here which will help to explain it all to you and how you can help yourself.

Welcome to the forum and good luck

I got it. But I control my diet very carefully. But I'm still concern, I might eat a lot someday.
Like on holiday or other party. But I will limit myself. Any problem if it's high once in while?

Boss786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

i think you should cut fats mostly saturated like cheese, whole milk. less fat means less calories. cardios should help but 20kg is too much to lose.

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i think you should cut fats mostly saturated like cheese, whole milk. less fat means less calories. cardios should help but 20kg is too much to lose.

Yes, so I think. 5% of the total weight should be lose. For the first milestone.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got it. But I control my diet very carefully. But I'm still concern, I might eat a lot someday.
Like on holiday or other party. But I will limit myself. Any problem if it's high once in while?

Once in a while is usually OK. The more time your sugar is high, the greater the damage you are doing to your body.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

It does take a lot of hard work but everyone needs an occasional treat but you dont have to go mad, when I was dieting hard in that first year I would give myself a treat once every month, in my case it was a meal out usually a curry and I would still watch what I ate but I would eat more than my day to day diet.

Even the strictest diets need a little ray of sunshine now and again ;) You sound like your doing OK so give yourself a pat on the back and book yourself a night out or a day away somewhere you would like to go, have something to look forward to that you can reward yourself with.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
on a 1000 calory diet I lost 30 kg in 6 month... so 20 kg took me about 4 month , I think you can do it , but not without counting your calories and also start to move more than you used to do..

I am exectly the same height as you 164 cm, now 76 kg and haven´t gotten rid of my diabetes yet if ever, but still not in need of insuline, but everyone is different and some do need insulline right from the start and others can control it for years and some even forever and never have to be on insuline... it all comes from at to what degree ones pancreas is damaged and can´t compensate the insuline level needed for the intake of carbs and proteins..

most have a little damaged pancreas already at diagnosis and insuline is a substance that everybody needs in their body to live, sometimes it is a needed and good thing to have added..it is quite individually different from one person to the other

Last edited:

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It does take a lot of hard work but everyone needs an occasional treat but you dont have to go mad, when I was dieting hard in that first year I would give myself a treat once every month, in my case it was a meal out usually a curry and I would still watch what I ate but I would eat more than my day to day diet.

Even the strictest diets need a little ray of sunshine now and again ;) You sound like your doing OK so give yourself a pat on the back and book yourself a night out or a day away somewhere you would like to go, have something to look forward to that you can reward yourself with.

Yes. For the first time, I overthink about my diet. But now it is okay.

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
on a 1000 calory diet I lost 30 kg in 6 month... so 20 kg took me about 4 month , I think you can do it , but not without counting your calories and also start to move more than you used to do..

I am exectly the same height as you 164 cm, now 76 kg and haven´t gotten rid of my diabetes yet if ever, but still not in need of insuline, but everyone is different and some do need insulline right from the start and others can control it for years and some even forever and never have to be on insuline... it all comes from at to what degree ones pancreas is damaged and can´t compensate the insuline level needed for the intake of carbs and proteins..

most have a little damaged pancreas already at diagnosis and insuline is a substance that everybody needs in their body to live, sometimes it is a needed and good thing to have added..it is quite individually different from one person to the other

Yes. But I'm so young, maybe my pancreas didn't damage yet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What your doctor says doesn't make any sense.
If you need insulin you will be seeing high levels of blood glucose - your health depends upon having insulin injections as you will be losing weight rapidly and be ill.
You could lose all the weight he advised and still need insulin if you are not producing it yourself.
On the other hand, if you reduce your intake of carbohydrates and regain control of your blood glucose, over time your insulin resistance might reduce and - if you are still producing insulin then you will remain healthy and see your blood glucose levels be perfectly normal.
Whilst your weight might have some bearing on the matter, giving you an unrealistic goal is not going to help matters.
Surely the first thing to sort out is your blood glucose.

roydmoorian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More important to cut carbs than all fats is what works for me. I now have a bacon, egg and tomato fried breakfast instead of raw muesli and yoghurt which I had been having for 10? years with little improvement in weight or blood glucose and ever increasing meds and have seen a steady weight loss and blood glucose levels where they should be testing each morning. If I get a higher morning test then I will cut all carbs for the rest of that day and invariably the next morning is OK. I have also cut out 1.2 mls of Victoza per day and am yet to tell my doctor that I have done that

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What your doctor says doesn't make any sense.
If you need insulin you will be seeing high levels of blood glucose - your health depends upon having insulin injections as you will be losing weight rapidly and be ill.
You could lose all the weight he advised and still need insulin if you are not producing it yourself.
On the other hand, if you reduce your intake of carbohydrates and regain control of your blood glucose, over time your insulin resistance might reduce and - if you are still producing insulin then you will remain healthy and see your blood glucose levels be perfectly normal.
Whilst your weight might have some bearing on the matter, giving you an unrealistic goal is not going to help matters.
Surely the first thing to sort out is your blood glucose.

I am not sure about my pancreas can create their own insulin or not. But the only thing I know is I might get the t2 since November last year. And I hope my pancreas can create its own.

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
More important to cut carbs than all fats is what works for me. I now have a bacon, egg and tomato fried breakfast instead of raw muesli and yoghurt which I had been having for 10? years with little improvement in weight or blood glucose and ever increasing meds and have seen a steady weight loss and blood glucose levels where they should be testing each morning. If I get a higher morning test then I will cut all carbs for the rest of that day and invariably the next morning is OK. I have also cut out 1.2 mls of Victoza per day and am yet to tell my doctor that I have done that

Here is what I do everyday.
Get up check my BG and BLOOD pressure. Cuz my BP is slight height during the visit.
And I just have some chia seeds or an apple or milk. I'm off to school. Until lunch I ate 1/3 of (before I ate 3/3 of it) and some fish and veggie or fruit. And at night
- just low-fat yoghurt with but OR
-veggie or fruit or having nothing and go to sleep.
And repeat over again
**** but I go to gym 5 times a week or more than that.