can anyone help daughters blood sugars high

lionrampant

The solostar pens are the larger dose pens, if I recall correctly, and have a softer mechanism. I certainly found them to be that anyway.

I'll be honest: I'm bloody horrified the nurse said you should "take a break" from the carb counting at all, let alone leave it up to your own judgement regarding when to start again.

As for marrick/the diabetic team: Her bloods were 21 and they did nothing? Were they even medically trained? :eek:

Sweet3x

hate to say it, but are you sure she isn't sliping in the odd sweet or two?
Remembering back to my childhood, when I wasn't supervised doing injections (and very often didn't) at her age, I'd find ways to eat sweets, then express surprise and concern when my sugars were high.
I know she's your daughter, and you want to trust her, but .. double check, seriously.

sophsmam

i only buy sweets when she can have them and that is just a little bar of something.
when she left marrick with bloods at 21 they did tell her to give herself a correction dose they never questioned why or lets look at this further.
the reason why the nurse told us to stop carb counting was just because we'd had a tough month and a bit with her.we thought there was something wrong with her due to her high sugars,which was down to her missed lantus.and she wanted us to have a break and get her bloods back on track.we really had to start all over again with her ,it does seem like this case again missed lantus but we now watch her like a hawk,so we know that isnt the case.

Sweet3x

there is always the option of brittle diabetes, which was bandied around when I was a kid. It mainly affects those of african descent, but it's been known in european/caucasians too.
Doubt it's the cause, but you may want to look into it.

lionrampant

sophsmam said:
i only buy sweets when she can have them and that is just a little bar of something.
when she left marrick with bloods at 21 they did tell her to give herself a correction dose they never questioned why or lets look at this further.
the reason why the nurse told us to stop carb counting was just because we'd had a tough month and a bit with her.we thought there was something wrong with her due to her high sugars,which was down to her missed lantus.and she wanted us to have a break and get her bloods back on track.we really had to start all over again with her ,it does seem like this case again missed lantus but we now watch her like a hawk,so we know that isnt the case.

I get why she suggested you stop carb counting. What I'm saying is she's a moron for doing so. :wink:

Keep us updated, I always want to see kids get good results. I was lucky as a child to have some of the best docs in the country at Yorkhill - I know not everyone is that fortunate.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Re-brittle diabetes.
I was told 15 years ago, while on synthetic 'human' insulin that my diabetes would prob always be 'brittle'. It's rubbish, I'm quite sure if I'd been put on animal insulin back then I'd have the stable control I have now.
I trusted my consultant who told me this, but she's the same consultant that told me, while I was on Lantus, that is was ok for my blood sugar to rise daily as high as 15! You live and you learn.
Sophsmum- You can contact the IDDT(insulin dependent diabetes trust) for advice re their website;they also have a helpline number.
Jus

sophsmam

thankyou for all the advice i'll keep you updated.
todays been not a bad day she was ten at lunch and her bloods were below ten until supper,she was only just over 10 had a correction dose of 2 units.so we'll see what tommorow brings.once again thankyou

covman

What sort of correction doses are you giving? Everyone is obviously different but i know if i was up 20 i would need about 6-7 units to get me back down to normal. The 2 units sounds about right for being at 10. I must admit tho i've had odd weeks where my blood sugars seem to go all over the place for no reason. Sometimes you have to ride it out with lots of testing and correction doses. I would say dont worry about experimenting with doses a bit more but am aware its a bit more daunting when your doing it to your child rather than yourself!!! It sounds to me like you are doing a great job of trying to get on top of it and shes lucky shes got such a dedicated mum. Good luck!

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have to say that it doesn't take sweets to put either of my daughters up into the 20s. A slice of bread maybe or a mandarin, eaten and not bolused for and bingo, 20+. This was as true when they were on jabs as it is now on the pump. And whether Lantus or Levemir it made no difference. Exercise can help, but if they haven't had the right bolus it can make things worse. It's a very difficult and unpredictable thing. Sorry to be so unhelpful , but that's our experience.

lionrampant

You know posts like the one above, and this entire thread, make me wonder why they're putting kids onto basal-bolus so soon. Mixtard etc. may not be cutting edge but it works quite well in levelling things out, especially with children who will have a fixed routine anyway. Some of my best results when I was younger were delivered when I was on a mixed solution.

Obviously basal bolus is a fine solution in adult life, due to the unpredictability of every day events and the flexibility we all seek, but I really do think children should be kept on a more stable, predictable regime for longer than they currently are.

Edit: However this really would mean sticking to absolute carb intakes over the course of the day, and we all know how terrified hospitals are of expecting people to do basic arithmetic these days.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Have to agree with you there Lionrampant, Andrew had his best control on Mixtard 20, then it went off the market, (tried mixtard 15, 25, 30 none worked) With only 2 injections a day, it was less stressful, snacks weren't a problem, more optional, hypos were moderate, but at least that gave him an Hbac1 of 6.4. Now 3 1/2 yrs down the line, 4 injections a day and looking at splitting Levemir to make 5 a day its a lot to ask of any child, last Hbac1 was 10.2. Control is taking ages to achieve, i'm for every telling him do your bs, do your injection, count that snack ect. Along with puberty, growth and routine (which isn't easy during school holidays) a crystal ball would be a great adddition to a prescription. Moan over, it's great to have others know where i'm coming from.
Suzi x

lionrampant

Many people, including some in the medical profession believe there were... "moves" let us say, by the pharmas to force as many people as possible on to basal bolus because each had their own wonder drug to fit into the new regime. I'm not implying grand conspiracy here - but a certain effort to channel their consumers towards newer agents.

Anyhoo...

iHs

lionrampant said:
You know posts like the one above, and this entire thread, make me wonder why they're putting kids onto basal-bolus so soon. Mixtard etc. may not be cutting edge but it works quite well in levelling things out, especially with children who will have a fixed routine anyway. Some of my best results when I was younger were delivered when I was on a mixed solution.

Obviously basal bolus is a fine solution in adult life, due to the unpredictability of every day events and the flexibility we all seek, but I really do think children should be kept on a more stable, predictable regime for longer than they currently are.

Edit: However this really would mean sticking to absolute carb intakes over the course of the day, and we all know how terrified hospitals are of expecting people to do basic arithmetic these days.

I completely agree with you Lion, no little ones should be made to use MDI especially when they could get decentish control using twice a day injections. As infants it's bad, but by the time they get to go to junior school, its absolutely awful cos they stand to get bullied over having to do injections and have to go to a 'special room' in order to do so. For me, this personally really goes against the grain.

I got along not too bad at all using twice a day injections for about 20 years. Why I went for basal/bolus regime, god knows :roll: If I don't get a pump within the next 6 months, I'm going back to twice a day again, but will test my bg levels much more frequently which will make a big difference.

sophsmam

i was expecting her to have good bloods today woke up at 8.5 , 2 hours later 13.5.did correction dose lunch time 11.5.thinking back she was having a problem during the morning and they told us to increase her novorapid.so i'll try that tommorow morning and see how the week goes and then go and see the nurse.
our daughters got no intentions of going on the pump she'd prefer to do her own needles but that might change.
is there a page i can look at about the different insulins

lionrampant

Er, I'm not sure such a thing exists actually. The medical profession isn't too keen on people choosing their own insulins because not all are as well versed as the people you see here, and the manufacturers won't give you the full picture because... well, they're promoting their own stuff.

Anyone else have info?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
sophsmam said:
i was expecting her to have good bloods today woke up at 8.5 , 2 hours later 13.5.did correction dose lunch time 11.5.thinking back she was having a problem during the morning and they told us to increase her novorapid.so i'll try that tommorow morning and see how the week goes and then go and see the nurse.
our daughters got no intentions of going on the pump she'd prefer to do her own needles but that might change.

Hi.
Yes there is. It is actually on this website main pages. Here is the link:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/insulin-types.html

Ken.

sophsmam

everyones said about all these different insulins etc and its all new to me.i just want the best for my daughter.some one said that taking lantus could lead to cancer which is rather worrying.

lionrampant

Who said Lantus could lead to cancer? Many things it is, many rude words can be used to describe it, but causing cancer is a new one on me.

Also, this is why I should read more of the site than the forum - I had no idea that page existed.

iHs

sophsmam said:

Hi Sophsmam

When you do your correction dose how much Novorapid are you using to do the correction? If you are following the BDEC guidelines it is a tiny bit misleading I think as people tend to think that the correction will sort bg levels out within 2hrs when in actual fact, it can take about 4hrs before any effect takes place especially when using MDI (pumping is different).

I don't think that BDEC mean for people to do corrections mid morning or mid afternoon. Their advice is to do the correction dose as an add on when the next meal time bolus is due. When I have had a bg level above 12 mid morning, I tend to use a slightly higher correction than recommended which does sort me out within 2hrs. But, because I haven't got IOB feature because I haven't got a pump, I deduct 1 unit off my meal bolus and this tends to sort things out for me without causing me to go hypo from the mid morning correction.