Can anyone help me with my food choices.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone send a link for a guide for dummies for recipes cause I'm getting stuck between low carb or low sugar ( which should I be looking at),I tried the low carb diet for a week but it didn't drop my levels by much and when the nurse asked if I could maintain it for life too tell you the truth I said no cause I couldn't maintain a low carb/sugar meal plan ???

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Badboydavey1 Hiya, I've read through your posts and can't help much because I have no medical knowledge of your other issues and meds, but I see you're getting really good advice from others on here so hang in there (you'll be getting used to that advice by now!)
Your question and about carbs and sugar -- look for the carb content and never mind the sugar. Carbs are all sugar to us.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thx for all imput but I can't have too many eggs as I take creon 40,000 with every meal so I suffer bad from constipation

D

debrasue

Thx for all imput but I can't have too many eggs as I take creon 40,000 with every meal so I suffer bad from constipationSent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
Hi, @Badboydavey1 and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get on with low-carbing, although a week isn’t very long to start seeing results. When I first started back in March, I didn't see any consistent results until I had been doing it for about a month, but then it really took off (and all the cravings had totally vanished!).

In answer to your earlier question, too, I’m afraid both sugar AND carbs are to be avoided.

Browsing this thread and taking the online LCHF training course on the website will give you a great idea of the things you can/can't safely eat, but I'm wondering about any other medical issues you may have...

Are you taking the creon 40,000 because you suffer from pancreatitis? If that's the case, then it would make LCHF more difficult for you, because the programme needs the high fat (HF) component to really work properly, which would be a problem if you have pancreatitis.

It’s certainly not insurmountable, though, and there are others here who suffer from similar challenges. Create a thread in http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/ask-a-question.15/ and you’ll get lots of helpful advice.

As regards a recipe link, you could try http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/food-nutrition-and-recipes.3/ and Ewelina’s blog http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/p/about-my-blog_7.html as good places to start.

(Have you tried chia seeds for constipation? They're very effective when pre-soaked or cooked in a recipe!)

Hugs

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Chia seeds look very strange, they come in black and white, but they work. Our local Asda have them in little sachets in a box, on the Free From section or you can get them in Holland and Barrett or Health Food shops. Google for chia recipies. Good luck.
Starches turn to sugar when digested so sadly both have to be restricted, stevia is a good sweetener - and I understand too much of it makes some people rather 'loose' in the stools department which might be useful.

D

debrasue

Ok thanks will try them xxx

Don't forget to pre-cook or soak them overnight first, otherwise your body won't be able to access the fibre, protein, calcium, antioxidants, and omega-3s they contain. (You can bake them in muffins, etc. for extra fibre if you're not eating wholegrains.) And you're not on medication for high blood pressure, are you, as that's a contraindication...

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm meant to be starting on creon some time, so I can't really do LCHF anymore either. I give up! :(

D

debrasue

That's before eating then had mushroom soup (no bread) then I have to test myself again before bed

I'm assuming your diabetes nurse has suggested you test on waking, maybe before lunch and before bed? That's fine and will give you an overall picture of what your BG levels are doing throughout the day, but it won't really help you work out what effect various foods are having on your readings. Testing before eating and then again 2 hours later should show this more clearly.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah I have to test myself twice daily before meals then tomorrow I will test myself at different times caused the nurse as upped my gliclazide to 80mg morning/evening and she wants me to come off metformin 500mg once aday

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are to learn which foods are suitable and which are not suitable for you, you need to test before eating and again 2 hours after your first bite. It is the rise from before to after that is important. Keep a food diary including portion sizes, and record your before and after levels alongside. Patterns will emerge. You will see which foods raise your levels by too much and can either eliminate them or cut down on the portion sizes.

Mushroom soup? Did you make it yourself or was it from a tin? If from a tin or packet, check the amount of total carbs it contains. You will be surprised at how many. Tinned/packet soups are thickened with flour and some have potato added for bulk. Flour is one of the main culprits in raising BS levels. Be very careful of soups unless you make your own.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I no I can't eat pears ,grapes,some apples and I'm afraid it was tinned and I only had quarter bowl full and the carbs are 7.4 per 100 grams and sugar 2.4

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @Badboydavey1
Cornflakes have very little natural substance. Look at the box and note how much added goodness has been added.
Porridge is better but gives higher blood levels, for longer in a insulin resistant type 2.
Egg dishes are excellent for breakfast. Any way you like them.
The 2hr test is the only way you will get those double figured levels down.
Even on meds, including insulin those heavy carbs will float around in your system if meds don't pick it up. Some meds are enough for that individual and can carry you along nicely but in cases of severe insulin resistance they can not do the full job. That's where low carbing can give us type 2s a life line.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well I no I can't eat pears ,grapes,some apples and I'm afraid it was tinned and I only had quarter bowl full and the carbs are 7.4 per 100 grams and sugar 2.4

On the tin look for less than 10g of carbs per 100g.
Ice creams and other goodies too.
Go to supermarket and pick what is less than 10g per 100g amd mix together with veg or fish/meat/nuts.
Have fun!