Can anyone help me with my food choices.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful and encouraging comments by everyone. Anything starchy needs to be eaten cold so as not to give us spikes I was told. So for those people who still love their basmati rice, potatoes and root vegetable, do try to eat them cold and not straight from the oven. Give it a try and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, just have a little bite. We don't want to give up everything that had been part of our staples. It is very tough but eventually have to for the sake of our health.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Why not just give them up and get used to a new diet that helps to manage your condition rather than carry on eating the stuff that gave you the condition in the first place.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not just give them up and get used to a new diet that helps to manage your condition rather than carry on eating the stuff that gave you the condition in the first place.

Yup yup. Completely agree. So many other delishous things to eat that ARE good for our health. No need for those....

D

debrasue

I have to agree with this; personally, I am far too weak-willed to be able to eat just a little of these foods. I have to view them as bad for me and abstain from them, otherwise I know I will end up exactly where I began. That doesn't mean that, perhaps further down the line, I may be able to indulge in them occasionally as a treat if I want to, but for now, until I have learned to effectively manage this condition, they are off the menu.
My philosophy is that I never liked broccoli very much, but I dislike having diabetes even more, so I have learned to find a way of tolerating broccoli. And that applies to a large number of things nowadays.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You guys have such strong will power and I applaud you. I shall try to abstain from it bit by bit, day by day to give it up eventually.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I'm sorry for those who can't have cornflakes or rice but they don't spike me...so far I have been buying basmati rice but I like a deft after main meal (such as yogurt) or for breakfast with fruit and berrys now what I saw advertised yesterday was easiyo Greek yogurt

Has anyone heard off it or tried it

Hi Davey. It is a bummer finding something everybody is advising us to eat, to find it tastes disgusting...for me, personally its the yoghurt. I just never liked it...and having tried it again since diagnosis, still hate the stuff. I am prepared to eat some stuff I don't like, as mostly I am absolutely fine with my low carb diet and enjoy the taste of most of it, but just cannot do the yoghurt thing. I really looked around at yoghurts coz supposedly they are the right kind of fat I should eat but I just can't find any that are anywhere near what i would consider low carb enough to grin and bear it. That said, if you can handle it, please do try it instead of cereals. If you really don't get spike from cornflakes (with such a high carb and sugar content), that's brilliant - fair enough, but most of us really can't go near it. I used to love cornflakes, and do miss them. I tried the lowest carb and slowest GI cereal I could find to replace it (bran flakes), but even they are a treat from time to time coz they too cause a spike. It's crucial, mate, that you take into account what the readings are before and two hours after (as I'm sure you're doing) but a] a reading at 1 hour post meal will let you know what the spike is, and b] don't be led into thinking that a little increase of maybe 2mmols or less is ok coz it's not a big spike...coz if the pre-meal reading is higher than say 6.5mmols, then it's pushing you up into the ind of areas best avoided.So - what are your readings before the cereal? To give you an idea of what it does to me (where my levels are now pretty well controlled in comparison to earlier levels)...if I had a small bowl of cornflakes with a level of 6.0mmols before hand...I would expect a reading of maybe 15mmols after 2 hours, and probably 18 or so after the first hour. My level would return to about 6..maybe 5.5 some four hours later...but I am not going to take the risk of repeated spikes. What I am saying is..you're doing great, making changes, identifying what does and doesn't work for you personally and finding alternatives...but be very sure what it means to your system if levels are high before eating certain foods. hey, don't get me wrong, Davey. If you are getting readings of less less than 6.0 before cereal with no sign of anything above a 2.mmol jump after two hours, and nothing scarey (ie. c.9.0mmols or more) an hour after the last spoonful - keep munching, pal. Good luck. Paul

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all the different advice but when your on a shopping budget (and I'm not making any excuses) you just can't keep buying plenty of fresh fruit,vegetables,meat etc
Trust me I have changed my diet by eating more fresh chicken with salad,stir fry,
Today I will be going to my sisters for a small Sunday lunch ummmmmm

Now my BG levels were high 20s and low 30s but now they are mixed before breakfast 11.1,before dinner 13.9
Before lunch 14.2,before bed 28.4
Before breakfast 11.8,before dinner 15.9
Before lunch 14.8,before bed 19.9
This morning 11.6

Now my district diabetes nurse as upped my gliclazide to 80mg morning and 120mg evening (which she is upping tomorrow to 160mg evening then on Thursday upping morning doze to 160mg so I will be on max doze,also she wants to up my metformin too)

I just have one question I have put no weight back on since since losing weight upto May 5th when I weighed 9stone 9pounds .....is this normal cause at the moment I'm under weight

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Can anyone send a link for a guide for dummies for recipes cause I'm getting stuck between low carb or low sugar ( which should I be looking at),I tried the low carb diet for a week but it didn't drop my levels by much and when the nurse asked if I could maintain it for life too tell you the truth I said no cause I couldn't maintain a low carb/sugar meal plan ???

Check out www.dietdoctor.com loads of great recipes and you can sign up for free for 30 days:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Seen the short film on dietdoctor website under membership and it's all about losing weight yeah there are some great recipes but I need to put weight back on so I think the low carb diet isn't for me .......I think I will go with what my district diabetes nurse said first get my levels down then she's going to refer me to a dietician

D

debrasue

Seen the short film on dietdoctor website under membership and it's all about losing weight yeah there are some great recipes but I need to put weight back on so I think the low carb diet isn't for me .......I think I will go with what my district diabetes nurse said first get my levels down then she's going to refer me to a dietician

Good luck.
Hugs

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry if you don't like my decision but like what everyone says on here everyone is different and cause of my chronic pancrease for which I'm having problems with that's why I have made this decision and also my levels are coming down some what ,

Hope nobody takes affence to this,I thank everyone for the support and advice

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
By the way is this dietdoctor American

No he's Swedish I believe. I completely understand your position and that you need to find a sustainable path that will work for you:)

All the best:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

D

debrasue

Sorry if you don't like my decision but like what everyone says on here everyone is different and cause of my chronic pancrease for which I'm having problems with that's why I have made this decision and also my levels are coming down some what ,

Hope nobody takes affence to this,I thank everyone for the support and advice

I'm sure nobody will take offence at you deciding what is best for you and the best way to manage your condition. In my experience, everyone on here has been only too happy to offer me help and advice if I asked for it, and only too happy for me to make whatever decisions I felt best.
Wishing you all the best with whatever you decide to do.