Can anyone help me with my food choices.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yeah i thought the rice would of been alright cause it was a small portion of basmati rice and the chicken wasnt breaded...i think it must of been one of those days

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

If you still want rice try find a recipe for Cauliflower Rice. Many low carbers use it due to the effect rice has on them. I can eat half a portion of Jasmine rice (frozen from Just Cook) and it doesn't affect me. Generally though I just go for extra vegetables, so if I make Chicken Korma I'll eat it with local of brocolli. Honestly after a while I don't miss rice.

Also some supermarkets are actually selling Cauli Rice now.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can put butter or a sauce on the cauliflower rice that's low carb like Alfredo. Cheese, olive oil with herbs, hot sauce etc.
we have all given up foods we love but have experimented and found ways to get similar tastes but better for our health and blood sugar. Sometimes we need to think outside the box and open our minds to new things. Cauliflower does not have a lot of flavor and is easily disguised. Some use zucchini as well

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told that freezing cooked rice and pasta changes the starch content of the food and therefore okay to eat with less spike.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that freezing cooked rice and pasta changes the starch content of the food and therefore okay to eat with less spike.

So they say....my meter can't tell the difference. I don't go there
Have you tried the cauliflower rice?

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No, Kristin I have never heard of cauliflower rice. How do you turn cauliflower into rice?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just put cauli florets into a blender and whizz..
Can be frozen too.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
We can see from TV that Shreddies are hand-knitted by little old ladies (who look like they may smell of wee), so I had gone off them before getting diabetes. What we don't get to see is Satan making cornflakes from scrapping the bottoms of gnarly demons, laughing all the while about high carb levels. Rice? Don't even get me started. Don'r replace this rubbish - abandon it, alter the diet and rejoice. Sort of....

Reactions: 2 people

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm sorry for those who can't have cornflakes or rice but they don't spike me...so far I have been buying basmati rice but I like a deft after main meal (such as yogurt) or for breakfast with fruit and berrys now what I saw advertised yesterday was easiyo Greek yogurt

Has anyone heard off it or tried it

D

debrasue

I'm sorry for those who can't have cornflakes or rice but they don't spike me...so far I have been buying basmati rice but I like a deft after main meal (such as yogurt) or for breakfast with fruit and berrys now what I saw advertised yesterday was easiyo Greek yogurt

Has anyone heard off it or tried it

I'm sorry mate, but with an after-dinner reading of 27.1 following your chicken and boiled rice, it looks suspiciously as if it DOES spike you.....
I haven't heard of the easiyo Greek yoghurt, but Fage is nice and so is Coyo coconut yoghurt.

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Badboydavey1
I think you have been given some excellent advice.
Which ones have you implemented?
How is your dangerously high bgs now?
27s will kill you.
You must change your diet. The damage 27s do is well documented.
Have a read of complications. You will definitely accrue some if these 27s persist.
Do something NOW!
A friendly diabetic @ickihun.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Please please please listen to the advice you have been given . When my husband was first diagnosed his reading were very high and now he is suffering with all sorts of complications. We found that things like cereal rice pasta potatoes bread were the root cause of his problems. With a change of diet his readings are now down to 4s and 5s .

D

debrasue

Hi @Badboydavey1
I've checked out that Easiyo yoghurt mix and the plain unflavoured one isn't too bad at 10g of carbs per 200g serving, but the flavoured ones contain skimmed milk powder and quite a lot of sugar, (26-32g of carbs per 200g), so I personally wouldn't touch them with a bargepole!
You're definitely better off with Fage full fat unsweetened Greek yoghurt (8g of carbs per 200g) or Coyo unsweetened (7.8g of carbs per 200g), with some fresh berries to liven it up. (And you don't need to faff about making it!) Berries (raspberries, blujeberries, strawberries) are better than most other fruit, as they contain less fructose/carbs.
Hope this helps.
:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ummmm don't sound very nice ? I don't like cauliflower at the best of times same as broccoli

I used to be like that.
Believe it or not I have them both on the boil right now.
Im going to have a stir-fry. Lovely seasonings too. A bit salty but helps me get my veg.
Later im doing Yorkshires for kids dad and we're having cauliflower cheese, make with cream.
Im salivating thinking about it all.
I love my stir-fries now.
I add nuts or mushrooms or onions.
Sweetcorn messes the low carb ingredients up. As peas.
Onions can too so if im having a low bg day I'll treat myself with onions/peas.
Enjoy having a good mess about with the things you like but avoid bread, rice, pasta and potato.
I can have chilled potato which is reheated. Can you?
Test 2hrs later. I hope it increases only by 2 max. I find that acceptable. It depends how good your body insulin is being used.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wonderful and encouraging comments by everyone. Anything starchy needs to be eaten cold so as not to give us spikes I was told. So for those people who still love their basmati rice, potatoes and root vegetable, do try to eat them cold and not straight from the oven. Give it a try and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, just have a little bite. We don't want to give up everything that had been part of our staples. It is very tough but eventually have to for the sake of our health.