Can anyone help me with my food choices.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do keep a food diary and try to keep away from from high carbs/sugar but the thing with the eggs is my severe constitution and until I have my Mri scan of my pancrease next week to see how good/bad it is doing the nurse wants me to eat more healthy cause they don't no if I'm type 2 or type 1.5 LADA (is that right) but my levels have come down some what ....from high 20s/low 30s to average 15 but they do spike like the other night I could get a reading (that's having a healthy salad.....no high carbs)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
May I suggest something like steel oats (grind them first and soak in milk overnight) for breakfast. You just need to microwave it on high for a couple of minutes till it is of a good consistency. Add more milk or water if needed. After that, add some chopped up fruits like strawberries, blueberries, and lots of nuts. That would be very substantial for breakfast and make you full all morning till lunch time. Alternatively, have a few soft boiled eggs and some vegetables,for breakfast. There are lots of choices besides tha cornflakes which would definitely send your blood glucose up the roof. Please take care of your own health and do not take any canned soup as it contains a lot of sodium and unnecessary carbs you don't need.

D

debrasue

May I suggest something like steel oats (grind them first and soak in milk overnight) for breakfast. You just need to microwave it on high for a couple of minutes till it is of a good consistency. Add more milk or water if needed. After that, add some chopped up fruits like strawberries, blueberries, and lots of nuts. That would be very substantial for breakfast and make you full all morning till lunch time. Alternatively, have a few soft boiled eggs and some vegetables,for breakfast. There are lots of choices besides tha cornflakes which would definitely send your blood glucose up the roof. Please take care of your own health and do not take any canned soup as it contains a lot of sodium and unnecessary carbs you don't need.

Mmm, sounds yummy, but that wouldn't work for me, sadly, as I know that steel-cut oats (66g carbs/100g) would spike my BGs straight away. :(

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am LADA as of 2 years ago right before my 50th birthday. Have you had a c lettuce or GAD test. That will help determine what type of meds you need. Some people only need to temporarily go on insulin because they're sugars are too high and the pancreas can't keep up or catch up. Some like myself are less fortunate and need to be on insulin forever but I am much healthier for it.
Have you lost weight recently without trying?

As far as LCHF, if you have fat on your body you don't need to eat a ton of fat because if you are low carb your body will burn its own fat. For me , the type of fat I eat makes a huge difference. Saturated and dairy fat are the worst. I do well with avocado, mayo, olive oil and a few nuts and seeds. The rest of my diet is above ground veggies and moderate amounts of protein. If we eat high quality foods we don't need nearly as much because there's no junk to process and the nutrients are more abundant. I don't know anything about the meds you are taking but LCHF does not need to be LCHF gob the fat. Plant fats are easier to process and you only need moderate amounts and they need to be healthy fats, not processed seed oils, trams fats etc.

As far as constipation, avocado is my laxative. Always had issues but not anymore. I eat one a day divided into three meals. Great healthy fat, the right kind of fiber.

I'm not clear on why you can't eat eggs? BF doesn't have to be eggs and bacon. It can be chicken, turkey fish etc. I often eat half an avocado and celery or a large piece of lettuce with mustard mayo and a slice of deli turkey with some avocado. Lunch and dinner are basically the same. A lettuce wrap or salad with some protein, avocado and a dressing/ sauce of choice. Either olive oil or a mayo mixed with either hot sauce, mustard or horseradish. No need to get fancy.

Reactions: 2 people

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thx for all your advice yes kristin251 I have had c-peptide and gad test just waiting on results also when I was diagnosed with type 2 my levels were 29.8 and I lost over a stone in weight (without trying) and to tell you the truth I have only put a couple of pounds back on,.....when I asked the district diabetes nurse what type am I she said at the moment it doesn't matter if your type 1/2 the thing she wants to do urgently is get my levels down.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The name or type doesn't matter but giving a type 1 meds for type 2 eventually does nothing. If in fact you are LADA or have low insulin production or gad antibodies insulin might be your only option. Until you find out I would suggest eating as few carbs as possible to keep your spikes as low as possible. This is not the time for oats or any carby foods. Protein and fat as well as some salad greens and avocado or nuts would be best.

Losing weight for no reason is an indication of LADA.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi kristin251 my meals are as follows
Breakfast-cornflakes
Lunch- quarter blow of tinned mushroom soup (no bread)
Dinner- boiled rice with chicken fillet and salad

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After waking up at 3-30am with severe stomach pains went down stairs for a hot drink went back to bed and got up at 6-30am took BG levels were 11.1 and at 7am will cook 3 rashers of bacon with 2 eggs and cherry tomatoes.......ummmmm sounds nice hea..

D

debrasue

After waking up at 3-30am with severe stomach pains went down stairs for a hot drink went back to bed and got up at 6-30am took BG levels were 11.1 and at 7am will cook 3 rashers of bacon with 2 eggs and cherry tomatoes.......ummmmm sounds nice hea..

Sounds great - and should certainly stop those BG spikes in their tracks! Interesting to see what your reading will be 2 hours after you've eaten it...
Have a great day!
Hugs
:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I have an idea.
Protein will spike some people. I can't eat that much protein at one time without a large spike. Was the spike lower than with cornflakes?
If you are progressing to LADA everything will spike you but you can keep them lower with less carbs. I can't eat any carbs in the morning. That is the time of day most people are most insulin resistant. I keep my BF very small and fatty, like avocado and celery or a piece of lettuce with mayo and mustard and a piece of deli meat. If I spike at BF I spike all day long so getting BF right is imperative. I can eat more carbs and protein and lunch and even more at dinner while taking the same insulin dose at all meals. Meaning as the day goes on I become much more insulin sensative.

It sounds like your headed toward insulin. It was the last thing I wanted to do but am so much better for it.
When are you supposed to get your gad and c peptide results? I hope they hurry

C

catherinecherub

Well it's been 2 hours after I've eaten and my BG level is now 15.7 from 11.1

Have you been given any dietary advice about what to eat considering that you have chronic pancreatitis? Sometimes it is difficult to find a diet that suits two chronic conditions, diabetes and chronic pancreatitis.
You really need to push for an appointment with an Endocrinologist and let him help you as he may decide that you need insulin to keep your blood sugars stable.