Can anyone recommend an accurate blood pressure monitor?

eshaw

Hi All,

I've had diabetes type 1 for 22 years now. I've had my blood pressure checked and for the first time it was higher than it should be so I would like to keep an eye on it. Can anyone recommend a good accurate blood pressure monitor that can be used at home? There are so many available, and just want to check if there are any recommended.

Reactions: himtoo

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
If you follow this link you'll find a list of monitors approved by the the British and Irish hypertension society.

https://bihsoc.org/bp-monitors

I use an Omron M3 and before a check up I do a week of monitoring and give the DN a print out of the readings and the calculated average. It's more accurate than the single reading taken in the surgery and the DN doesn't bother taking a reading herself.

eshaw

If you follow this link you'll find a list of monitors approved by the the British and Irish hypertension society.

https://bihsoc.org/bp-monitors

I use an Omron M3 and before a check up I do a week of monitoring and give the DN a print out of the readings and the calculated average. It's more accurate than the single reading taken in the surgery and the DN doesn't bother taking a reading herself.

Thank you so much. Yes I came across that list just now but there were still so many to choose from, so thank you for letting me know what you use. I see that Omron is mentioned a lot, so I might go for one of those.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@eshaw . Lots to choose from. One think to make sure of is that you purchase a meter with an arm cuff. Don't get one with a wrist cuff.
Like many things in life you can spend a lot of money for a named product. I'm not trying to undermine any meter but many years ago I purchased a blood pressure monitor from Lloyds pharmacy, there own brand.
It was very competitively priced.
I often take it with me to appointments/ blood pressure checks and calibrate it. Amazingly it reads as close as is possible considering how blood pressure changes from one minute to the next.
Good luck with your purchase, whatever it turns out to be.

eshaw

Thank you very much for the advice. Yes someone lent me their wrist one and I was very dubious of the result. It was later mentioned that it was better to go for an arm one.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an Omron M2 basic works fine. £20.00 on amazon.
Me too. Well made bit of kit, I don't know how they make them for the money. Check the armband range of you have particularly large or small arms.

Chesterboy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi All,

I've had diabetes type 1 for 22 years now. I've had my blood pressure checked and for the first time it was higher than it should be so I would like to keep an eye on it. Can anyone recommend a good accurate blood pressure monitor that can be used at home? There are so many available, and just want to check if there are any recommended.
I use the Omron M6, the same make and model that my doctor uses. I also have it serviced using the same company as my doctor. The instrument is more expensive but gives reliable results that the surgery team accept, and use my results as part of my medical history. I have been using it since 2006; 100% satisfaction so far.

Reactions: freebase

JonM1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Omron M3 - what's interesting is the variation if you do a couple of repeats at two minute intervals. The only thing I've compared it with is a Garmin tracker watch for the pulse count it records while doing the BP reading. These always agree +/-2 or so.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much for the advice. Yes someone lent me their wrist one and I was very dubious of the result. It was later mentioned that it was better to go for an arm one.
I know this is the standard advice, but in fact I have a traditional arm model AND a wrist one. I have checked the one against the other many times, and there is nothing to choose between their readings. On the other hand, I find baring my arm in Winter most inconvenient and chilly, so I find I am much more likely to check my bp if it is with the wrist one. Also it is much smaller for travel.

P

pollensa

Hi All,

Yes, the monitor I use is PREDICTOR WRIST MONITOR, they say the arm monitors are better, but really this wrist monitor is one of the best, and it seems accurate and my doctor said its a good one. Today I was 110/62 heart rate 79. I take same time mornings, but I also do on spot as and when during the day sometimes, also my husband readings much higher unfortunately, but this indicates the monitor is working well for two different individuals.

Hope this assists.

Mallorca

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I got told they are like electric tooth brushes, they need replacing as eventually they become ineffective.
GPs get theirs calibrated as their weighing scales, or used to.
Diabetes unit gets their scales calibrated as depends on your weight depends how much meds you may need!

I'm due a new one as paramedic's one read different to mine, whilst I was waiting for them last winter.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both the surgeries I have attended in the last 2 years used Omrons.
So when I bought a bp monitor myself I went for the same brand.
There were several on Amazon at the time, and I picked the one that had memory capacity for 2 people to record their readings - since we are a 2 person household.

I've been v pleased with it so far.

Reactions: ickihun

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After 50+ years I have found out that most meters will give a 10% either way ,even when I tested 2 meters with blood at the same time the reading where not the same.Do what most people do,I think. Get a meter that suits you and then over some time you will reconize the meter and your feelings

eshaw

Thanks everyone for your input. After much more consideration with the help of this thread, in the end I bought an Omron basic arm one. It was a very reasonable price too of £20! I'll take it with me on my next visit to the consultant. Thanks again.

Reactions: DavidK59 and himtoo

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Omron M3. Very happy with it - and my GP is happy to accept the readings.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have 2 here.

The omron m2, works fine, comes with a fairly small cuff. Bigger cuff costs as much as the meter. Gives funny results when the batteries are low, ie change batteries once low battery symbol.

Lidl, sanitas smb67. Good cuff, Bluetooth if u need. Prefer it to omron.