Can i clear something up please....

cuddles1985

I may be entirely wrong here and if i am then god knows what i heard when i was being told what to do.....with my lantus which was 36u but over the last tear or so ive lost 2stone and gas come down to 20u...anyways if i keep waking up during the night/early mornings low is this because my lantus needs adjusting?? Im sure i was told by my dns that if this happened to adjust lantus. I had a review at my drs surgery and the nurse who i saw - who is ment to be in the know at the surgery said that i shouldnt adjust that because im waking up low...know im confused

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to all this but I would say yes. I was dropping a lot in the night so my dn told me to lower my basal (Lantus). However I'm sure there is a check that you do, someone more experienced can probably tell you more but it's something along the lines of have a no carb dinner or make sure you haven't eaten for 4 hours before going to bed. Test your level before bed and then again in the morning if at drops by more 1.5 (don't quote me on the figure that's the bit I'm hazy on) then yes your Lantus is too much. Hope that helps x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I may be entirely wrong here and if i am then god knows what i heard when i was being told what to do.....with my lantus which was 36u but over the last tear or so ive lost 2stone and gas come down to 20u...anyways if i keep waking up during the night/early mornings low is this because my lantus needs adjusting?? Im sure i was told by my dns that if this happened to adjust lantus. I had a review at my drs surgery and the nurse who i saw - who is ment to be in the know at the surgery said that i shouldnt adjust that because im waking up low...know im confused

Hello,

I used to be on Lantus and I used to wake up with low bloodsugars in the mornings (which some of them made me up end having a seizure and going into a diabetic coma)...not to scare you but do you feel the symptoms of a hypo during the night?

When I saw my diabetic team they were surprised by how the lantus was causing me to have low bloods that they changed me over to another long acting insulin called Levemir...this improved my bloodsugars a lot more and I was having less lows as well. Its not as long as the Lantus which works for 24 hours but it made a hell of a lot of change :)

As we diabetics are all different I'd speak with your diabetic team about whether Levemir might be another option in case you are still having ongoing low bloods in the mornings.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Lowering the Lantus dose would be the thing to do in the case of night or morning hypos occurring as a regular pattern..
I've had to do this myself recently.. Though I put my insulin sensitivity down to the recent rise in temperature due to this glorious summer..!
I've pretty much maintained the same weight since I was 18.. But there are still a lot of variables that could change this.

cuddles1985

Hello,

I used to be on Lantus and I used to wake up with low bloodsugars in the mornings (which some of them made me up end having a seizure and going into a diabetic coma)...not to scare you but do you feel the symptoms of a hypo during the night?

When I saw my diabetic team they were surprised by how the lantus was causing me to have low bloods that they changed me over to another long acting insulin called Levemir...this improved my bloodsugars a lot more and I was having less lows as well. Its not as long as the Lantus which works for 24 hours but it made a hell of a lot of change :)

As we diabetics are all different I'd speak with your diabetic team about whether Levemir might be another option in case you are still having ongoing low bloods in the mornings.

Thanks, it works lowering my lantus i stop getting lows.... She just made me doubt myself cause shes ment to know.
T

cuddles1985

I havent been on a proper course just met up with dn/dietician a few times and roughly told how yo do it. As im now trying to get my health/fitness and just overall well eing in check im now starting to look at doing things properly now, so thanks for that ill print off and have a read :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I havent been on a proper course just met up with dn/dietician a few times and roughly told how yo do it. As im now trying to get my health/fitness and just overall well eing in check im now starting to look at doing things properly now, so thanks for that ill print off and have a read :)

until you can get a course arranged through the nurse, there is also a free online course that some here have said is good. even if you get one idea, it's worth it
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/bdec-online-course.56228/

edit , it looks as if the new BERTIE course that was spoken about is up and running, need to register online the same
http://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's nonsense what your Dr's surgery nurse said, if your waking to hypo's in the early hours then you need to reduce your basal insulin.

Try reducing your dose again by 2 units and test for a few nights to see if this helps, for some reason they say you should give lantus 2-3 days before the changes are noticeable so do keep this in mind.

btw, well done on your weight loss:)

Reactions: 2 people

cuddles1985

That's nonsense what your Dr's surgery nurse said, if your waking to hypo's in the early hours then you need to reduce your basal insulin.

Try reducing your dose again by 2 units and test for a few nights to see if this helps, for some reason they say you should give lantus 2-3 days before the changes are noticeable so do keep this in mind.

btw, well done on your weight loss:)

Thank you :)

Im ok at the moment with the dose im on. I knew what she had said was wrong but i kinda questioned myself then been on it for about 10yrs now didnt want to argue with her shes abit scary lol

cuddles1985

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you :)

Im ok at the moment with the dose im on. I knew what she had said was wrong but i kinda questioned myself then been on it for about 10yrs now didnt want to argue with her shes abit scary lol

If your still having night hypo's you will need to reduce it further.

Do you take your lantus before bed, the reason why I ask is that I use to take mine before bed and got a few night-time hypo's, my DSN suggested taking it earlier in the day as it doesn't matter when you take it as long as you leave 24 hours between doses, I moved mine to 6-7pm and found a big difference, tbh I rarely get hypo's now during the night and if I do it's because of exercise the previous evening which I've not taken into account.

cuddles1985

If your still having night hypo's you will need to reduce it further.

Do you take your lantus before bed, the reason why I ask is that I use to take mine before bed and got a few night-time hypo's, my DSN suggested taking it earlier in the day as it doesn't matter when you take it as long as you leave 24 hours between doses, I moved mine to 6-7pm and found a big difference, tbh I rarely get hypo's now during the night and if I do it's because of exercise the previous evening which I've not taken into account.

I havent had a hypo since i moved it down to 20, i was thinking of moving it so maybe ill start tonight and see how i get on. What do you think about split doses?

cuddles1985

until you can get a course arranged through the nurse, there is also a free online course that some here have said is good. even if you get one idea, it's worth it
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/bdec-online-course.56228/

edit , it looks as if the new BERTIE course that was spoken about is up and running, need to register online the same
http://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

Ive tried to register and do this bertie course but i cant...is there any others or is it a case of going back to my team and asking to be put on a course for it?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive tried to register and do this bertie course but i cant...is there any others or is it a case of going back to my team and asking to be put on a course for it?

go back to your team, others have said and I think, a proper face to face course will be better. the course I went on as a T2 was worth it.
the online stuff is better for background education, try this link for old? bertie
http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/
an example of a workbook
http://www.diabetesinscotland.org.uk/Publications/9226%20Carbohydrate%20Counting%20the%20Next%20Steps.pdf

cuddles1985

go back to your team, others have said and I think, a proper face to face course will be better. the course I went on as a T2 was worth it.
the online stuff is better for background education, try this link for old? bertie
http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/
an example of a workbook
http://www.diabetesinscotland.org.uk/Publications/9226%20Carbohydrate%20Counting%20the%20Next%20Steps.pdf

Thank you thats worked now, that workbook im just waiting to go into work to print out so i can read properly :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I havent had a hypo since i moved it down to 20, i was thinking of moving it so maybe ill start tonight and see how i get on. What do you think about split doses?

I'm pleased that hypo free for the time being.

As for split-dosing, some fond that lantus doesn't last 24 hours so inject twice, I've not had to do this so I'm not the best person to advise.