Can I request a thyroid test with no symptoms?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm finding it hard to lose weight on metformin...I did it before but it's not really working for me this time (I'm IR with pcos) . I read that thyroid issues can make it difficult to lose weight, but I don't have any obvious symptoms to go to the gp with. Granted I may not have a thyroid issue, but could I ask the gp for a test, just to check things are all okay?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Doesn’t seem to be an unreasonable request.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding it hard to lose weight on metformin...I did it before but it's not really working for me this time (I'm IR with pcos) . I read that thyroid issues can make it difficult to lose weight, but I don't have any obvious symptoms to go to the gp with. Granted I may not have a thyroid issue, but could I ask the gp for a test, just to check things are all okay?

To be honest, the worst thing that can happen is the GP says. "No".

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's worth a try asking, however, I do bet they get a lot of 'well I just cant lose weight, something must be wrong', and with no symptoms to show that it might be the thyroid then unless its a really sympathetic doc I wouldn't be entirely surprised at a 'No' answer, they just don't have the funds to run every test on everyone- though i guess it'll depend on its cost.

They run thyroid tests by default every year on T1's though in many cases just because they are both auto-immune problems and if you have one, its not uncommon to end up with more.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@B17_Fan - I should have added earlier that if your GP declines to test your thyroid there are several organisations who will do it for you for a modest fee.

I have thyroid issues which are diagnosed and treated (as a matter of zero importance, weight gain, or an inability to lose weight was not on my list of symptoms), but I have used MonitorMyHealth to keep an eye on things. They're very efficient: https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/

Their tests don't include a test for autoimmune antibodies, but to include those it goes up to £65 with Medichecks, whm I have also used. https://medichecks.com/products/thyroid-function-antibodies-blood-test

Both those tests can be done from a finger prick blood sample.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had about half a dozen tests when I had symptoms, and the first five came back normal - then I waited a while, symptoms got worse and worse, then I was tested again and my TSH was four thousand times higher than the upper limit of normal. It is notoriously difficult to catch, as the thyroid can fail and recover many times before eventually giving up - or so I was told.
If you have blood tests to check your Hba1c it might be worth asking if thyroid can be checked at the same time and it might be more likely to happen, rather than being done as a separate test.