Can Metformin HCL 1000mg cause vitamin B12 deficiency?

cmx9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this something I should be worried about? I brought this up with my GP and he blew me off, saying vitamin B12 levels can't be affected by Metformin. Is he wrong?

Is it in my best interest to buy an at-home b12 monitoring kit? Is that even a thing I can buy for myself?

• Winner
Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this something I should be worried about? I brought this up with my GP and he blew me off, saying vitamin B12 levels can't be affected by Metformin. Is he wrong?

Is it in my best interest to buy an at-home b12 monitoring kit? Is that even a thing I can buy for myself?
Your GP is wrong.
Copied from the leaflet (https://www.geneesmiddeleninformatiebank.nl/bijsluiters/h128396_piluk.pdf):

Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people) • changes in taste • decreased or low vitamin B12 levels in the blood (symptoms may include extreme tiredness (fatigue), a sore and red tongue (glossitis), pins and needles (paraesthesia) or pale or yellow skin). Your doctor may arrange some tests to find out the cause of your symptoms because some of these may also be caused by diabetes or due to other unrelated health problems.

Instead of buying a testing kit (no idea if this is possible), I'd show him the leaflet and ask for B12 to be included in your next blood test.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Metformin for some years and B12 levels weren’t routinely tested for, however I asked my GP for them to be included in my annual bloods a couple of times, which he agreed to. Why should you have to pay, when it is a known problem with Metformin?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a home test for B12 as I had burning tongue syndrome. The results were that I wasn't deficient. I told my GP and he said the tests you buy for B12 aren't always reliable. He did another which did indeed show a deficiency.

So yes, metformin can deplete your B12 levels and no, I wouldn't waste money on buying your own test.

SusieWillow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is very very well documented that Metformin depletes B12, and even iron and calcium. Supplementation with calcium is not recommended unless the doctor recommends to do so. It’s complicated. Supplementing with iron would probably only matter if you are vegetarian or vegan. B12 supplementation also depends on these factors. If you are older or don’t eat meat, you will almost definitely need B12. It’s vital. I get tested for B12 every time I do bloods. It comes with Folate or without. Not everyone needs Folate, ask dr again. Dr’s are there to help sick people not to keep us well. Thats the sad and wrong part in this World. The self care is up to us. Learn as much as you can about your own disease and be as active as you can in getting opinions of others who have this attitude. Which is what you’re doing now and thats great!

• Agree
Reactions: WendyS84 and jjraak

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
GPs are not the best people to ask about any vitamin deficiency. Mine told me that B12 is poisonous if you take it in supplements!!

• Friendly

SusieWillow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GPs are not the best people to ask about any vitamin deficiency. Mine told me that B12 is poisonous if you take it in supplements!!

Crazy! Several doctors have agreed with me on the B12 and tested and found without supplementation, B12 is too low. Neuropathy gets very bad without B12 if I don’t supplement and energy too. I’m amazed! Now my doctors recommend B12. Get another doctor! You’s sounds bad.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and fumanchu

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started on Metformin in August last year and even after 3 month my B12 had reduced. My doctor included it automatically in the blood panel. So I take a supplement now. I have my next blood panel in two weeks. Curious how my body is doing in general, but I was surprised that B12 reduction - no real deficiency yet - showed up so quickly as most sources talk more long term impact.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak and aylalake

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be aware that the NHS level of "acceptable" B12 levels is on the low side. If we supplement, any that the body doesn't need is excreted harmlessly, unlike such things as iron.

Grandadfatboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogant, abusive, greedy people
I have been on 1000mg metformin twice daily (told to take with food) since I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2006. I don't know if the metformin had anything to do with my low B12, or if it was something to do with my diet, or the many medications I take to control my myeloma.

Just recently I was asked to repeat a routine blood test to confirm that my B12 was within acceptable levels. Having had the blood test I received a text from my GP practice stating my B12 was rather on the lower end to spectrum, and I love this bit, "you are not eating enough red meat, or drinking enough milk"! o_O I love red meat and I drink milk almost by the gallon. When I read the text to my wife, she nearly fell to the floor in hysterics.

The serious part of this for me, was that I was unaware low consumption of red meat and milk could have this affect on my B12 levels. I know taking a B12 supplement.

• Informative

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My B12 is routinely tested and has always been fine ...I take vitamin b tablets .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is from the NHS website. It might be useful for your GP.

• Useful

cmx9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on 1000mg metformin twice daily (told to take with food) since I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2006. I don't know if the metformin had anything to do with my low B12, or if it was something to do with my diet, or the many medications I take to control my myeloma.

Just recently I was asked to repeat a routine blood test to confirm that my B12 was within acceptable levels. Having had the blood test I received a text from my GP practice stating my B12 was rather on the lower end to spectrum, and I love this bit, "you are not eating enough red meat, or drinking enough milk"! I love red meat and I drink milk almost by the gallon. When I read the text to my wife, she nearly fell to the floor in hysterics.

The serious part of this for me, was that I was unaware low consumption of red meat and milk could have this affect on my B12 levels. I know taking a B12 supplement.
Maybe this is american-only problem but diabetics can drink milk? Whenever I drink anything that's not water or a sugar free soda, my blood sugar spikes to 250. Everything we have has added sugar and I'm worn out trying to find foods that aren't actively out to hospitalize me.

I should also say that I'm very poor and that my doctor is the only person I could find close to where I live that does reduced costs for visits. I guess I get what I pay for if he's confident that b12 isn't lowered by metformin. Love american healthcare!

• Friendly

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Maybe this is american-only problem but diabetics can drink milk?
Normally yes, depending on the quantity!
There are more carbohydrates in skim milk than full fat milk.
Cream is even lower carbohydrate.
Cheese is also good as some carbohydrate is fermented out during production.

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After just 3 months of Metforming my B12 was not low but significantly lower. I’m not taking a B12 supplement.

• Hug

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Normally yes, depending on the quantity!
There are more carbohydrates in skim milk than full fat milk.
Cream is even lower carbohydrate.
Cheese is also good as some carbohydrate is fermented out during production.
Double cream diluted with water makes an acceptable milk substitute. Personally I just use cream full strength but that can get expensive.

• Informative

trishyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2

trishyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yes it can cause an deficiency of B12 after years of taking Metformin , after 20 yrs of taking Metformin i was put on an vitamin B12 injections every 3 months , for the past 10 yrs .

• Hug

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Winner for being aware.
Hug for the doctor being so misinformed.

Like others I asked for B12 testing to be added to my blood works ...no problem

Now gets tested each time.

A fair few posts regarding the issue.

I posted this.

I found the lady in question on YouTube not long after finding out how I could be impacted (I was )

I'd recommend anyone over sixty or taking Metformin gave it a moment of their time.
I'd even go so far as saying if they have anyone they love in that category, it's worth the watch of the film I link to.

Good luck finding a doc who understands Metformin properly.

Reactions: cmx9 and Outlier