Can someone comment on my results please.

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got access to my test results on the Scottish portal.
The explanations for the readings are very generic and vague. I know about the HbA1c and BP but what about the others?
Seeing my DN tomorrow so would like to know if there's anything I should be asking.

HbA1c: 105.0 mmol/mol (11.8%) on 08/03/2012
Blood Pressure: 140/100 mmHg on 05/04/2012
Total Cholesterol: 4.5 mmol/L on 08/03/2012
Lipid profile..
HDL Cholesterol: 1.10 mmol/L on 08/03/2012
LDL Cholesterol: [no result available]
Triglycerides: 1.9 mmol/L on 08/03/2012
Creatinine: 93.0 umol/L on 05/04/2012
eGFR: [no result available]

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From your lipid profile, they could have calculated your estimated LDL.
http://www.heartuk.org.uk/images/upload ... Method.pdf
LDL Cholesterol is calculated using the Friedewald
as follows:
LDL cholesterol = Total cholesterol – HDL cholesterol – Total
triglyceride ÷ 2.19

British guidelines for cholesterol are here:
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diabetes/man ... 001117.htm
The creatinine taken together with your weight, gender and age can be used to calculate your eGFR which is a measure of kidney function.
http://www.kidney.org.uk/Medical-Info/k ... ey-fn.html

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you.
I work out LDL at 1.5 & eGFR: 106.5
Nothing there that I'm too concerned about.

A

Anonymous

Evening Signs,

Is that your first HBA1C result? and does it have a pre-diagnosis portion to it?

S

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Your blood pressure is high. Normal is 120/80, I aim for between 110/80 and 130/90 but there are various ideal ranges out there.

A spot test could be wrong. Best way to get an accurate result is to have a series of 3 tests over 30 minutes while lying down the whole time and not drinking coffee beforehand.

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey there,

Yes, first HbA1C result, Don;t know what a pre diagnosis portion is. That's the first, one and only test. Original BG was 32 and overnight fast was 22.

Got a BP target of 130/80 and on perindropil. Definitely high, Checked back on my BP checks and it's been on the high side since the first online record in 1998.

MaryJ

I always record higher readings when taken by doc or nurse (it's called white coat syndrome) especially when the result matters. EG when they were thinking of putting me on meds. Which they did.

I bought a blood pressure monitor and keep a record of my results at home last one 120/77 (brill) last nurse read 135/88 - she described that as perfect? I then take my log of reads when I see doctor or Nefrologist (unreleated to DB).

Mary x

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Are theses blood tests routinely done when you have an hba1c, because I only get told the results of the hba1c?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Ok so if the BP drug you're on is not bringing it down within the expected timeframe (? 4 weeks) then normally a doctor would add another type of BP drug to see if the combined effect brings it down. People can end up on 3-4 different drugs.

You may want to go back to them and say you want your BG down and ask them how they recommend doing that. Lifestyle changes may be helpful for mildly high BP but not are not enough for someone with diabetes and long term high BP. You need the right type of drug(s) at the right dose for the right amount of time.

I mentioned sleep apnoea. Getting help for it can reduce BP to normal, often without BP drugs, or with lower dosage. I understand the UK NHS provides therapy for sleep apnoea. Often people who also have diabetes and high BP have a more severe form of sleep apnoea. Do you fall asleep watching TV or when you're a passenger in a car?

Even on its own, long term high BP can wreck your kidneys or cause a stroke.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I just re-read the thread and I think I can help you with "pre-diagnosis portion". Your signature says you were diagnosed on 5 march 2012, and your original post says your Hb1Ac was taken on 8 march. This is reassuring, that whoever diagnosed you then sent you for blood tests. That was the right thing to do.

I had overlooked your recent diagnosis date - sorry - and I had thought you'd been here longer. (I'm unwell at the moment so a bit confused at times).

Hb1Ac is a measure of your BG control over about the previous 2-3 months I think. So, if you had been tested again on say, 8 April, then the pre-diagnosis portion would be about 1-2 months. The post diagnosis portion is 1 month in this example.

If someone had, say, 11 at diagnosis, and 10 at the next test 1 month later, we would say that 2nd test result wasn't an accurate measure because it includes a pre-diagnosis portion that makes the result seem higher than it probably would be if it could reflect just the 1 month.

By the time the person has a 3rd test at, say, 3 months, we know that it only covers a period of time SINCE diagnosis, when the person has known they can eat better and maybe take meds, so the test result is sort of fairer.

Everyone starts at a high point, and all going well, the result drops over time, and eventually you get into the healthy range and work to stay there. You're newly diagnosed and I think you're doing great by looking for information and learning how to manage diabetes. When you get to 3 months, 6 months etc, you get the chance to celebrate results that accurately show the work you've put in. Major illness, trauma or stress can set you back for a while but overall things should be moving towards the target ranges and largely staying there.

Diabetic Chef

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had my 6 monthly check up. My hb1ac has risen by 1.5%. My diabetic nurse asked if I had any significant happenings in my life. Unfortunately my wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer since my last check up. How much does stress effect this figure?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had my 6 monthly check up. My hb1ac has risen by 1.5%. My diabetic nurse asked if I had any significant happenings in my life. Unfortunately my wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer since my last check up. How much does stress effect this figure?

Hello and welcome.

This is a very old thread you have just commented on, so maybe not many people will see your post. It is usually better to start your own thread if you have a question, then more people will see it.

In answer to your question, yes, stress has a massive impact on your BS levels. Added to that could be because of the stress to yourself and your wife, maybe your diet has slipped a bit? It is all too easy to turn to comfort foods in a situation like that.

I wish your wife well. It is an horrendous thing to happen ... as I personally know only too well. I was also diagnosed with breast cancer just over 2 years ago so I do understand. However, here I am, 2 years down the line after 12 months of unpleasant treatment, fit, well, and so far all clear.

Diabetic Chef

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

This is a very old thread you have just commented on, so maybe not many people will see your post. It is usually better to start your own thread if you have a question, then more people will see it.

In answer to your question, yes, stress has a massive impact on your BS levels. Added to that could be because of the stress to yourself and your wife, maybe your diet has slipped a bit? It is all too easy to turn to comfort foods in a situation like that.

I wish your wife well. It is an horrendous thing to happen ... as I personally know only too well. I was also diagnosed with breast cancer just over 2 years ago so I do understand. However, here I am, 2 years down the line after 12 months of unpleasant treatment, fit, well, and so far all clear.

Diabetic Chef

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I never comfort eat in that way. I have in fact tried to bury myself in work, I started a new job as my wife was diagnosed I was hoping that my results would be better. Sadly I will have to resort to my Nintendo wii boxing exercise and stress busting.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Hello I can only add to what others have shared, stress and trauma , not an easy combination , and their impact can effect us in so many ways , I wish you and your wife all my good wishes and hope that health can improve for you both ....best wishes Kat