Can someone explain what a hypo is?

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi recently joined so still learning, can someone be kind enough to explain what a hypo is please?

Thank you

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A hypo is when your levels drop to a dangerous level. It can result in unconciosness and death in a worst case scenerious.

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Omg could this happen to me ? I'm type 2 And what do you mean by levels exactly

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Spiritedgirl

A hypo is a low blood sugar episode, so when your levels drop below 3.9mmol/l. It’s generally felt when it happens as symptoms can include shakes, sweating, blurred vision, lack of concentration. Best treated with fast acting glucose like glucotabs/jelly babies/sugary drink.

Are you experiencing any of these at all ?

Reactions: Marie 2

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No thank fully I'm not just everyone talking about hypos and was given little advice by the doctor so wondering what it meant, can this happen to me?

Reactions: Marie 2
M

Member496333

3.9 is the arbitrary clinical definition of a hypo, and is an important number for those using insulin or oral hypoglycaemic medicines, but it's not unusual for metabolically healthy people to run much lower.

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
No thank fully I'm not just everyone talking about hypis and was given little advice by the doctor so wondering what it meant, can this happen to me?
Generally speaking a type 2 is not going to go hypo unless you are on medication to lower your blood sugar or insulin?

When I first started out on my journey I would feel something people refer to as a 'false hypo' where your body panics that it has too low a level of blood sugar, but in reality its just lower than what it is normally used to. I would use a meter to test this and then go lie down for 10 mins or so and the feeling was gone :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No thank fully I'm not just everyone talking about hypos and was given little advice by the doctor so wondering what it meant, can this happen to me?
When you're reading about diabetes, try to be mindful of what type of diabetes you're reading about.
Hypo's are an issue in type 1 diabetes because of the insulin, and it's also an issue in type 2's on insulin or certain medication.
On metformin it's not a problem you should expect :)

Reactions: Spiritedgirl

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It wouldn't be until you were prescribed something like Gliclazide that you would risk a hypo. With Metformin you should be fine.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As it happens my sugars at this moment are 3.6 technically and diagnostically hypoglycemic I am not on insulin or any blood sugar reducing meds and I don't feel great at this level but nothing drastic.

Because something is uncommon it does not mean it never happens it is just something to be aware of so if it does happen you can do something about it if necessary, and not ignore it because you believe it cannot happen to you.

MarkHaZ123

Hypos can differ from person to person or even just yourself

I tend to have different types of hypos, il have one which my BS levels drop slowly and I go into the 3s but feel fine until I get to a point maybe high 2s
My other is just a rapid drop. Maybe too much insulin and not enough carbs to cover it and my bloods can rapidly drop. This type of hypo I hate as I shake, sweat, get anxious and various other things. A bit of sugar and some carbs and it's sorted

Just try to read up on hypos. They aren't good for you if they drop too low, as said you can always die in major extremes but generally people treat them before any issues

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on metaformin so is that one of those ?
You're not likely to experience a hypo on metformin. It doesn't force your pancreas to produce more insulin, you're not on insulin jabs, so... Shouldn't happen. That said, now that you know what the symptoms are, and you're starting out on both diet and medication that's designed to get your blood sugars into the normal range: If your body's used to being high, it can freak out when you reach normal levels. It feels like a hypo, with the dizziness, confusion and whatnot, because according to your body, you are hypo. Technically you're not at all and in no danger whatsoever, (I used to get that feeling when I hit 5,5 mmol/l, as I was used to being between 10 and 25.), and you'll be fine if you ride it out or have a little something to eat. Though preferably something fatty or protein rich, not carby! False hypo's are a thing, so... Always keep your meter handy, so you know what's going on if something does happen. You can already be pretty sure that if you're feeling hypo, you're probably not, but a meter can be quite reassuring when your body's starting to panic. Might not happen at all, mind you, but it's a phenomenon you might want to be aware of. ;)

Reactions: Member496333

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did experience the occasional hypo during the three years I was on metformin only. Usually on a day when I'd been particularly physically active and not eaten enough. It happened often enough for me to ensure I had some kind of small carby snack with me at all times but not so often it was a problem!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said, Metformin may not cause hypos, but it does nothing to prevent them. In fact, one of its functions is to reduce the amount of glucose released from the liver intended to help raise blood glucose when a person’s blood glucose dips too low - so Metformin may slow hypo recovery time.

@Spiritedgirl
Hopefully hypos are not something you will ever need to worry about, so don’t get drawn too deeply into where, when, why and how. :D It can feel a bit like jumping down a rabbit hole, can’t it?

If your blood glucose is used to running high, and you use diet and exercise to lower it, then you may well feel a bit wobby and weird for a bit - but only until your body adjusts. At that point you will return to feeling ‘normal’ at ‘normal’ blood glucose levels. If/when you ever do feel shaky and wobbly/weird then the best thing would be to test your blood glucose using a meter, and if the result is over 4, then don’t worry, and if it is under 4 then consider having a snack.

I used to carry peanut 9 bars or kind nut bars for this very reason - but that was only because I have a history of hypos due to another medical condition. There are actually several non-diabetic health conditions that can cause hypos, But again, not something for you to worry about. If you had one of them, you would already have plenty of experience of hypos! :D