Can Type 2 be caused by Pancreatic/gall bladder probs?

rosalindp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I returned the following week for key hole surgery to have my gall bladder removed. Since then I have had bouts of feeling ill, sometimes like I am going to pass out, clammy, sweaty and weak. <break> Surely this is not high enough to be making me feel this ill, when I look at how high some people's are on here? I just saw your post and now it has got me asking just how long it has been this high and could my pancreatitis have started it all off...... Maybe I will never know..
Wow. similar here, ie "I have had bouts of feeling ill, sometimes like I am going to pass out, clammy, sweaty and weak." (I had my gall bladder out in 1991, & since then 2 hernia repair jobs from that umbilical scar)
Am having almost-fainting spells as well as other times of low body temp (was 92!). Seems to be no rhyme nor reason to when they happen. At least daily now. Drs not much help. Say only that it'll take 2 yrs to recover from (past) high blood sugar levels. Any thoughts anyone, pl?
PS My thyroid etc are fine… Am feeling so frustrated with this ill health and the only thing that the Drs can find/think of is diabetes - but my sugars are ok now!

Reactions: Ledzeptt

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's looking now like digestive system inflammation is what type2 diabetes is.
Alzheimers treatment for inflammation is working for type2s now, so the trials are coming up with.

I believe I had insulin resistance then a burst appendix.

sparrow61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics
Wow. similar here, ie "I have had bouts of feeling ill, sometimes like I am going to pass out, clammy, sweaty and weak." (I had my gall bladder out in 1991, & since then 2 hernia repair jobs from that umbilical scar)
Am having almost-fainting spells as well as other times of low body temp (was 92!). Seems to be no rhyme nor reason to when they happen. At least daily now. Drs not much help. Say only that it'll take 2 yrs to recover from (past) high blood sugar levels. Any thoughts anyone, pl?
PS My thyroid etc are fine… Am feeling so frustrated with this ill health and the only thing that the Drs can find/think of is diabetes - but my sugars are ok now!
Hope you feel better soon. My doctor is not very helpful and says these episodes are from 'anxiety'. It is these dizzy moments which cause anxiety and panic attacks not vice versa. If I am in a shop and feel faint, I go into panic mode because I think someone will call an ambulance if I do pass out. My energy levels are virtually non existent and I could sleep for Britain. Everything takes so much effort. I am constantly weepy because I feel useless in the fact that I cannot do the things I used to. I got up this morning feeling shaky and horrible (like low sugar) so I checked my blood glucose and it is 6.3. That is not low, so these episodes cannot be to do with sugar levels. I am now wondering if it could be the menopause?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
The following article (with references to medical journals) explains how it is thought gallstones are formed: https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2005/08/05/carbohydrates-and-gallstones/

Although, the article states there is no direct link between gallstones and diabetes, the root cause (believed to be low fat high carb diet) may lead to both/either symptoms in some people.

In my case, I think this is possible as I was on an extreme version of such a diet, being a vegetarian (almost vegan) for 25 years, eating very little fat and deliberately avoiding it: my cholesterol was always extremely low when tested. In addition, I relied upon carbs rather than protein for calories, so my diet was very high in carbs. There was certainly no family history of gallstones.

I was waiting to have my gallbladder removed (it was "full" of gallstones) when one stone blocked a duct to my pancreas nearly killing me, leading to two months in intensive care and ongoing problems three years later including type 3c diabetes (3c because my pancreas produces no insulin).

I keep smiling and don't let things get me down.

Edit: I would point out to readers that my case is rare: most people with gallstones will have their gallbladder removed with a simple keyhole procedure (the most common operation performed by the NHS supposedly) without ill effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: TIANDB

rosalindp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you feel better soon. My doctor is not very helpful and says these episodes are from 'anxiety'. It is these dizzy moments which cause anxiety and panic attacks not vice versa. If I am in a shop and feel faint, I go into panic mode because I think someone will call an ambulance if I do pass out. My energy levels are virtually non existent and I could sleep for Britain. Everything takes so much effort. I am constantly weepy because I feel useless in the fact that I cannot do the things I used to. I got up this morning feeling shaky and horrible (like low sugar) so I checked my blood glucose and it is 6.3. That is not low, so these episodes cannot be to do with sugar levels. I am now wondering if it could be the menopause?
Hi @sparrow61
That sounds like me too (but I'm getting a little better I think, since I stopped work earlier this month). Another reason that I was anxious is that if someone did call an ambulance, I was sure that I'd then have to (again) go through the whole "Oh, your HbA1C is too high, you must take more pills" (or worse) hassle from the hospital staff... when I know that my BG levels are no longer massively high (-I buy my own testing strips & use them a lot), but it just hasn't been 3 mths yet, to be able to get a new test done.
2 things that I've found helpful for coping with my "episodes":
1. When I feel exhausted/dizzy, do stop, sit & rest - for however long it takes to recover. (Do not "soldier on"; to do so isn't being brave/hardworking whatever, whatever. - It is stupid. And it is that pattern of "soldiering on regardless" which caused me to get in this current health mess!)
2. The textbook says that 6.3 is not low - but my body is responding as if 6.3 is low (for me)... I can try to get my body to argue with the textbook to see who's right (-Good luck on that one!) ... or ... I can just accept that what my body is saying is that it needs food. - And really, in the scheme of things, it doesn't matter much if my BS goes up to say, 8 ... but I now feel better (and can function in life).
I hope that you feel better soon. {hugs}
Kind regards,
Rosalind

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Asking as awaiting scan for gall bladder stones/inflamed pancreas after visit to doc's earlier this week & needing more blood tests as results on last weeks not right for some reason

I had my gall bladder removed about 20 years ago. I started to have similar symptoms as before around 2005 onwards and was diagnosed with an ulcer. This turned out to be acute pancreatitis which reached the point of no return in January 2010 and I was admitted to hospital as an emergency. I was in for 3 weeks and starved but it resolved the symptoms. It was suggested that I was drinking too much alcohol and I suppose I thought maybe I have been having more than is good for me. Since then I have not had another instance of pancreatic problems but I have developed T2D and my glucose levels have risen over the last 5 years to the point I need meds. The meds don't seem to have an impact and I ended up on the max of all of them. Since closely monitoring my carb intake I have brought my Glucose levels under control, it certainly works for me but is not recommended by my diabetes medics. I asked about the logic why take meds to reduce my glucose and then eat carbs to increase it? The answer was we need carbs in every meal, my research doubts this and it's having a very positive impact on me. My diabetes nurse says whatever I am doing it's working well for me, I have lost about 10kg and my Hba1c is now 50. All I can say is be careful about your diet and do regular exercise. Be careful about taking too many meds and if possible check your glucose levels each day until you have normalised them. I am lucky that a meter and strips were supplied on scrip so it's not costing me anything, if you don't measure you can't manage. Hope this helps and good luck.

SimonCrox

Very informative. I just wanted, pedantically, to clarify that when you say "most folk in the UK have type 2 diabetes" you do mean that most people in the UK with diabetes have type 2 diabetes. I mean, I know its getting pretty grim but it's not quite as grim is that right now. ;) Who knows what the future brings!

Sorry - you are correct - not very clear
What I should have stated is that most folk in the UK with diabetes, have T2DM
Best wishes

Reactions: rosalindp

Spotted_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a total blood screen so I think it should have shown up, I think maybe it was such a kneejerk reaction that everything just went potty and I got the red flag readings. At least the doctor was onto it straightaway!!
I do think its really interesting though that there are so many of us who have damaged pancreases, who have then become diabetic - just wonder if there will be more research done into it..........does it mean that we are actually Type 3 then? I'm treated with the regime for Type 2 and it seems to be working currently.......I guess over time its just a waiting game! Its just so good to have this forum so we can all chat together over things like this that are confusing and sometimes worrying. Bit like having a chat in the pub but without the drink.............or maybe teashop but without the cake!!!!!!!!!

I have not had my gall bladder removed, but it was discovered that I had a cyst on my pancreas which is benign but it makes you wonder if diabetes can be caused by other things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently asked for a review and have been referred to the Community Diabetes Team. They have conceded that I am probably T3 and agreed to review my meds as the research indicates that Gliclizide may not work well for T3’s. I’ve been off it for just under a month and my readings are a bit up in the higher levels. That is between 7-12mol/ltr that’s higher than previously. I have been trying to limit my carb intake but I am a bit weak willed in the evenings. I have managed to lose about 10kg but have plateaued between 83-85kg. Given I am 6’2” that puts me on my ideal BMI. No doubt it will be recommended that I either restart the Gliclizide or try something else.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's looking now like digestive system inflammation is what type2 diabetes is.
Alzheimers treatment for inflammation is working for type2s now, so the trials are coming up with.

I believe I had insulin resistance then a burst appendix.
And now maybe gallbladder problems.... Maybe?
Does all gallbladder problems cause vomiting?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I recently asked for a review and have been referred to the Community Diabetes Team. They have conceded that I am probably T3 and agreed to review my meds as the research indicates that Gliclizide may not work well for T3’s. I’ve been off it for just under a month and my readings are a bit up in the higher levels. That is between 7-12mol/ltr that’s higher than previously. I have been trying to limit my carb intake but I am a bit weak willed in the evenings. I have managed to lose about 10kg but have plateaued between 83-85kg. Given I am 6’2” that puts me on my ideal BMI. No doubt it will be recommended that I either restart the Gliclizide or try something else.
How did you get on?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And now maybe gallbladder problems.... Maybe?
Does all gallbladder problems cause vomiting?

When I had gallstones I didn’t experience nausea or vomiting just agonising pains :arghh:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When I had gallstones I didn’t experience nausea or vomiting just agonising pains :arghh:
Thanks Rachox.
I'm on heavy painkillers for back so I think have disguised a lot of my pain til constipation and less codeine.
Feeling less pain but pain is constantly there. Distraction does help.
GP gave me buscupan and antibiotic which I'm taking twice daily.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is there anyway i can get out of a gallbladder op @Rachox ? If pain can be managed or tolerated longterm? On top of what ive done?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there anyway i can get out of a gallbladder op @Rachox ? If pain can be managed or tolerated longterm? On top of what ive done?

I’m not sure, but you might risk infection I guess if you leave it. I’m sorry if you said before in the thread but have you got a definite diagnosis of gall stones?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Allegedly, lots of people live with gallbladders full of stones, and provided they don't case any issues they are just left there.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I’m not sure, but you might risk infection I guess if you leave it. I’m sorry if you said before in the thread but have you got a definite diagnosis of gall stones?
GP is sending me for scans which is a duplicate of Jan'17, gallbladder etc check. He going to check my damaged ovary too.
If not gallbladder I'm in serious trouble. Other organs are not so easily replaced. I don't know if my 32yr old damaged ovary will be missed thou.
Pain is lower for ovary pain. My pain is resonating to my right pelvis and through lower back and up into lungs. Chest aching or pain at times.
Ovarian problem normally comes with bleeding and cramps in pelvis... I understand. Not spasms. Under ribcage on my right. :(

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GP is sending me for scans which is a duplicate of Jan'17, gallbladder etc check. He going to check my damaged ovary too.
If not gallbladder I'm in serious trouble. Other organs are not so easily replaced. I don't know if my 32yr old damaged ovary will be missed thou.
Pain is lower for ovary pain. My pain is resonating to my right pelvis and through lower back and up into lungs. Chest aching or pain at times.
Ovarian problem normally comes with bleeding and cramps in pelvis... I understand. Not spasms. Under ribcage on my right. :(
Oh ok. Let’s hope it’s something else that doesn’t need an additional op for you x