Can Violent Vomiting Send Bg Soaring?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just recorded my highest EVER level of 10.0. This morning after FB of 5.2 I had a very low breakfast 3g carbs, lunchtime wasnt hungry so while out shopping tried my first (and last) bag of pork scratchings. One hour later luckily back home I felt unwell and had violent vomiting over a 20 min period. Later this evening I felt empty and weak and had scrambled eggs and one small granary slice of toast followed by a Danone low fat yogurt at 8pm. Just checked my bloods 2 hrs later and its a massive 10. Could this be due to being so ill? Also I dread to think what sort of damage it has cause. I am always so careful. Could the one small bit of toast be responsible. Note: I didnt check my levels beforehand.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just recorded my highest EVER level of 10.0. This morning after FB of 5.2 I had a very low breakfast 3g carbs, lunchtime wasnt hungry so while out shopping tried my first (and last) bag of pork scratchings. One hour later luckily back home I felt unwell and had violent vomiting over a 20 min period. Later this evening I felt empty and weak and had scrambled eggs and one small granary slice of toast followed by a Danone low fat yogurt at 8pm. Just checked my bloods 2 hrs later and its a massive 10. Could this be due to being so ill? Also I dread to think what sort of damage it has cause. I am always so careful. Could the one small bit of toast be responsible. Note: I didnt check my levels beforehand.

Being under the weather can certainly elevate our blood sugars. I tend to look on it as our bodies trying to give us some energy to fight off whatever it is that ails us.

I wouldn't worry too much about a single or even a couple of such episodes; just concentrate on getting better.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being under the weather can certainly elevate our blood sugars. I tend to look on it as our bodies trying to give us some energy to fight off whatever it is that ails us.

I wouldn't worry too much about a single or even a couple of such episodes; just concentrate on getting better.
Thanks so much @DCUKMod for the quick response. I still dont feel right but I have scared myself silly by that high number.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much @DCUKMod for the quick response. I still dont feel right but I have scared myself silly by that high number.

When we're unwell, there isn't much we can do about it, so we just have to go with the flow and look forward to better times.

Stay well hydrated as dehydration doesn't help anything.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A 170 gm serving of danone low fat yogurt is about 30 gm of carb, and a slice of granary bread from a small loaf is about 15 gm - so that was quite a lot to deal with on top of feeling a bit off.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A 170 gm serving of danone low fat yogurt is about 30 gm of carb, and a slice of granary bread from a small loaf is about 15 gm - so that was quite a lot to deal with on top of feeling a bit off.
The yogurt was Light and Free Greek style peach and passion fruit which is 7.3g per 115g pot. Its not something I usually eat but I thought it would be good to settle tum. I cant abide plain yogurt. Regardless I suspect you are right the carb content was about 22gin one meal more than I shoukd have had.

Reactions: Moggely

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The carbs in the yogurt were 9gm per serving - the 7.3 is the sugar content but there is a starch to thicken it - the front of the pack is never as forthcoming as the back of it.
It is only a small difference in this case but it can be rather more with some products.
It is a better choice than the other one, certainly, and compared with 'normal' quite low carb, but I suspect you could not deal with it after your upset earlier.
I hope you have had no lasting ill effects.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The carbs in the yogurt were 9gm per serving - the 7.3 is the sugar content but there is a starch to thicken it - the front of the pack is never as forthcoming as the back of it.
It is only a small difference in this case but it can be rather more with some products.
It is a better choice than the other one, certainly, and compared with 'normal' quite low carb, but I suspect you could not deal with it after your upset earlier.
I hope you have had no lasting ill effects.
Sorry but you are wrong. I have the pack in front of me (would photo it if Iknew how) and per 115g pot it is carbs 7.3 of which sugars 6.7.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam I get very disheartened when “well known members” dont respond when things dont go their way. I so respect the help you have given me but itwould be moreso if you coukd just be FAIR.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8EDECB8D-0CE8-467A-B3BC-E81557109AEC.jpeg
The yogurt was Light and Free Greek style peach and passion fruit which is 7.3g per 115g pot. Its not something I usually eat but I thought it would be good to settle tum. I cant abide plain yogurt. Regardless I suspect you are right the carb content was about 22gin one meal more than I shoukd have had.

Here you go! I have these occasionally when I get bored with plain yoghurt :)
To upload a photo you need to use an app to shrink the file first. I use pic stitch.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No no no - I wasn't ignoring you - I went to Birmingham yesterday, and did not see your response - and now have realized that you ate a multipack pot 115 gm and I found information on a 150gm pot. I am so sorry for the mistake, but I wasn't sulking in my tent, honest.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No no no - I wasn't ignoring you - I went to Birmingham yesterday, and did not see your response - and now have realized that you ate a multipack pot 115 gm and I found information on a 150gm pot. I am so sorry for the mistake, but I wasn't sulking in my tent, honest.
All ok thanks. We have two types of yogurt in our fridge usually, Yeo Valley Fruity Favourites and Danone Low and Free. I chose the least carby.