Cane versus beet sugar

KimWheeler

Not sure if this has been covered before but do people's meter readings react differently when using beet or cane sugar? Just asking.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar is sugar is carbs is glucose.

we sometimes get people asking this question about honey, or maple syrup, or powdered fructose, or date syrup, or palm sugar...

the best way to test for yourself is to get a blood glucose meter and test for yourself, just to be certain.

but my body doesn’t differentiate between fruit, processed, natural, glucose or fructose. They all raise my blood glucose in a similar manner.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know about blood sugar reactions but I can taste the difference.
I have lived in countries where can sugar is the norm and in countries where beet sugar is the norm.
When baking with cane sugar, I need less to taste the same level of sweetness as I would with beet sugar.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar is sugar is sugar which turns to glucose in the stomach - even organic sugar!

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Sugar, aka sucrose, is composed of 1 glucose molecule which needs insulin to metabolise other wise just floats along in the blood, + 1 fructose molecule which is separately metabolised in the liver to produce fats and triglycerides.

Sources of sucrose (cane, beet, honey, etc) may have other properties (maybe healthy, maybe not) but will impact on BGs and blood triglycerides the same.