Cannot beat sugar cravings

LeeSouth

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in May last year. For 6-8 weeks I cut out as much sugar as I could and tried a low carb diet with some success.

Like with any diet or lifestyle change I've tried it started off great but I could not maintain it. At my January HbA1c test the results were much better, but I was still prescribed Allogyptin on top of the full dosage of Metformin tablets.

At the moment I simply cannot stop myself opening the fridge 10 times a day and snacking on dreadful food.

So far today (at 4pm) I have already had 1x crisps, 3 jaffa cakes, 1 small flapjack, one angel slice, 1 banana, 1 wafer biscuit and 2 rice cakes (as well as a thins sandwich and Special K for breakfast and lunch). This is clearly far far too much but I cannot break the cycle. I am used to having all this junk.

I have asked the doctor how to beat this. Her advice was to "get more willpower". I asked how, she said "just get some".

I just cannot see what the long term solution to this is. At the moment it is likely to be death, or thats what it feels like anyway.

I know I shouldn't have these things, but I cannot see how to stop myself constantly wanting them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you trying to replace them with? Sounds like you should be upping your meals fat content to get some satiety signalling going.
Eggs and bacon with coffee and cream for breakfast should keep you full until lunch. Then something similar for lunch and a meat and green veg meal in the evening. That should keep you feeling full.
Remove all the dreadful food from the house before starting so it's simply not close to hand.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"get more willpower" is not helpful. I think it is easier to move one's willpower to the shops (especially if you shop with a list)

If you do not buy any of these
"1x crisps, 3 jaffa cakes, 1 small flapjack, one angel slice, 1 banana, 1 wafer biscuit and 2 rice cakes (as well as a thins sandwich and Special K for breakfast and lunch" then you will not be tempted by seeing them in your kitchen.

LeeSouth

I had hoped to not have to replace the food with anything at all, just go from breakfast until lunchtime then to evening meal with nothing inbetween like it seems most people do.
Not buying the junk in the first place makes a lot of sense, but I see myself wondering the house looking in cupboards all day desperately searching for something sweet.

M

Member496333

My best guess is that your diet is deficient in key nutrients and so your body is making you eat in the hope that you’ll replenish them. Unfortunately, by feeding yourself empty junk you’re just making things worse.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
but I see myself wondering the house looking in cupboards all day desperately searching for something sweet.

Strawberries and double cream?

If you have any breakfast cereal such as Special K it is no wonder you are hungry before lunch. You need something with plenty of fat in it, such as cheese, eggs, bacon, mushrooms cooked in butter. Maybe a 3 egg omelette with mushrooms or cheese, and a coffee with double cream. It is fats that stop the hunger. Carbs just create it.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My advice would be to get a BG meter and test yourself regularly. That way you can see what all that **** is doing to you. When you see your BGs into double figures then perhaps the penny will drop.
You cannot keep on like this.

Reactions: Nodemus

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What bulkbiker and Jim Lahey mentioned is what I found as well. Cravings are your body telling you there are nutrients lacking. When you cut carbs, sugars there is a combination of withdrawal symptoms and lowering calories. Have you ever had nutrient level testing done to see if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals? Increasing healthy fat and healthy protein can help as well. You could try having a large glass of water with a scoop of protein powder (non-sugar and non-fillers version) or an avocado when a craving hits. Perhaps look into ketogenic diets.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As others have said increase the fatty foods have a meter and don't buy foods that are bad. Have a range of nuts, berries and cheese available for snacking.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating a low carb diet means that I am never hungry - I eat in the morning and again in the evening.
In the morning I have what is more of a meal than most seem to indulge in, but I can then go all day no problem.
I suggest that you buy in some bags of salad leaves and other salad stuff, some eggs, high meat sausages, mushrooms courgettes tomatoes celery radishes - aubergines, sweet peppers - all the low carb 'staples' and if you feel hungry - eat, but not carby stuff. Roast a chicken or a big joint of pork or lamb and have it in the fridge for when you need it for the first few days. Once you change over from burning carbs to fats things ought to get better.