Cannot cut off carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You seem to be expressing your particular opinion that you want to censor Bonny specifically.
I'm expressing a general opinion that no one has a right to censor anyone simply for posting stuff they don't like, so yes, I agree, you're right, we can all express opinions, so long we agree they're ignored when they should be.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem to be expressing your particular opinion that you want to censor Bonny specifically.
I'm expressing a general opinion that no one has a right to censor anyone simply for posting stuff they don't like, so yes, I agree, you're right, we can all express opinions, so long we agree they're ignored when they should be.

Oh dear, you do love to twist things, don't you?
Since i am not a moderator, i have no capacity to censor anyone but myself - and i do that regularly. :D
Please, feel free to use your own IGNORE option if you dislike reading my opinions. :) You seem to be picking a lot of fights on the forum recently, and are interrupting my enjoyment of it, so I am going to follow my own advice and put you back on ignore, Douglas. Otherwise, i expect you will continue to try and bait me. Bye.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelofthemarches

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
WithoutSugar,

By telling you my story, I don't mean to encourage you to follow my lead. What I wish to suggest is for you to experiment and see if you get the results you want.

When I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic in July 1991 (my first blood sugar reading was468 mg/dl), I was required to take several anti-diabetes pills. I refused to take them. I begged the doctor to allow me to manage my diabetes my way. He agreed on condition that I should pass a stress test first. The following day, after passing the stress test, he gave me 2 weeks to prove to him that my diabetes control was effective. In 10 days, my daily blood sugar readings were already in the 130 mg/dl - 140 mg/dl range. The doctor told me to continue doing what I was doing. What did I do? I ran the stairs a total of 2 hours per day in as many sessions as I could squeeze in in a day and ate only heart-healthy, natural, fresh (raw or cooked), unprocessed, and whole foods which were mostly carbohydrates. After 3 1/2 years, I reduced my stair running time to 1 hour per day.

Long story short, I still run the stairs, have the same HCLF diet, and I strongly believe that I am the first untreated 25+year T2D with no D complications.

Bonny Damocles
Male, 81 years old, 137 lbs., 5'7"
I am not on any pharma drugs for any health problems

Sounds an excellent story.
I am similar to a degree.
Exercise, fresh food, low fat, calorie control, I decided to stay on 500mg of Metformin for it's other benefits though. I seem to have reversed my diabetes this way.

Keep posting the good advice, if it worked for you, it's an option for others to hear about.

Reactions: Freema

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
WithoutSugar,

By telling you my story, I don't mean to encourage you to follow my lead. What I wish to suggest is for you to experiment and see if you get the results you want.

When I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic in July 1991 (my first blood sugar reading was468 mg/dl), I was required to take several anti-diabetes pills. I refused to take them. I begged the doctor to allow me to manage my diabetes my way. He agreed on condition that I should pass a stress test first. The following day, after passing the stress test, he gave me 2 weeks to prove to him that my diabetes control was effective. In 10 days, my daily blood sugar readings were already in the 130 mg/dl - 140 mg/dl range. The doctor told me to continue doing what I was doing. What did I do? I ran the stairs a total of 2 hours per day in as many sessions as I could squeeze in in a day and ate only heart-healthy, natural, fresh (raw or cooked), unprocessed, and whole foods which were mostly carbohydrates. After 3 1/2 years, I reduced my stair running time to 1 hour per day.

Long story short, I still run the stairs, have the same HCLF diet, and I strongly believe that I am the first untreated 25+year T2D with no D complications.

Bonny Damocles
Male, 81 years old, 137 lbs., 5'7"
I am not on any pharma drugs for any health problems
I can see how this could work because I effectively followed a similar path. I was having home made soda bread with fish, home made scones with xyilotol etc, whilst also working out like a maniac. I did also take metformin. This got me to a HbA1c of 41-42, and a weight loss of 8 kg. I did expect lower HbA1c's as my fasting figures were late 4's to early 5's; I believe the HC prevented me getting non-diabetic figures. I think this is borne out in my signature with the switch to LCHF, I dropped 3.5 kg, dropped my fasting figure by circa 0.5 mmol and moved my HbA1c to 35. I notice that I now do not have to eat carbs before a cardio and weights workout without breakfast and still don't need to eat for 2 to 3 hours after - this is insane and I still can't get my head around the satiety.

So having gone down both paths, for me LCHF is easier because of the reasons above. In addition on HCLF without the exercise it seems intuitive to me that a stereotypical type 2 would decline, whereas in general I would say a stereotypical type 2 on LCHF would at the very least halt diabetes progression.

I totally respect your result as it takes dedication to work out consistently and it looks like you enjoy it like I do.

Reactions: Redrav

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
There is only one person who can take care of you - That's YOU.
Chicken n salad is boring!! Be adventurous. Try out some of the recipes from this forum. There are also thousands of recipes on the internet. Good luck.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

CB1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello!

Unfortunately I find it extremely hard to cut off carbs.

For example, I love pizza and the fact that I would still be able to eat the toppings, while on low carb, was something alleviating, however now I crave the pizza base and cannot eat only the toppings.

I really want some chips with my meat, I got bored of eating meat with salad.

I also really want something sweet every day, either a cake-like or chocolate-like sweet.

If I eat only once per day and try to fast for 2-3 days every week, will I still be able to rip the benefits of ketosis/autophagy/hypoinsulinaemia?

thanks!

Hi, felt compelled to reply as I'm in the same boat as "Without Sugar" - I find it really difficult to give up sugar/carbs - as sugar is really addictive can anyone give any tips for going cold turkey that can help stick to the low carb regime?

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, felt compelled to reply as I'm in the same boat as "Without Sugar" - I find it really difficult to give up sugar/carbs - as sugar is really addictive can anyone give any tips for going cold turkey that can help stick to the low carb regime?
Don't go hungry, fill up with low carb foods, moderate protein and extra fat if you are still hungry. You will find that the fewer carbs you have, the less you will want them.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
WithoutSugar, I have asked you this before but I would still dearly like to know
(1) how many grams of carb you are allowing yourself per day,
(2) what medication you are on and
(3) what your blood readings are. Without this information we'll find it hard to suggest solutions and a lot of people are trying very hard to help.

Are you really trying to reduce (not cut out) carbs? Remember no-one else can do it for you
Why do you think you are not succeeding?

CB1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't go hungry, fill up with low carb foods, moderate protein and extra fat if you are still hungry. You will find that the fewer carbs you have, the less you will want them.

Thank you for your advice - much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Prem51 and zand

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you taking this seriously or just having a good laugh at us all?

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I forgot to mention that I have other addictions too, so it's not just a matter of willingness, it's not that easy for some people!
I agree with you I have an addictive personality and had to beat smoking and shopping!! and I know its hard with eating as you have to eat. I can happily go hours and hours without eating as it felt to me that inside I had a sleeping monster that as long as food didnt fall on its head and wake it up i was fine. Unfortunately it always woke up when I ate and I continued to eat as it wanted more and more . Nothing stopped me once I started eating, feeling disgusted, no promises I made, fear of fat induced side effects, but when I received my diagnosis of diabetes I knew I had to stop this self abuse my family and myself deserved better than this. I love carbs because they are part of everything I love to eat but I now spend loads of time looking at foods that are similar to the carb loaded ones plus completely new foods and imaginative ways in which to compose my meals, i love doing my glucose testing because its visual proof of me being on the right road, as for my monster, it is still there inside me but I am controlling it and not the other way round.
Eventually it will fade but I know I will always have to be careful otherwise I will awake this monster because complacency, negativity & weakness are the fuel on which these monsters thrive. Positivitity, knowledge & determination is the armoury that will take it down.

Find a way to control your monster, take whatever help you can get from anywhere you can get it as you need to beat it and you will otherwise it will beat you.

Good luck.

"For example, I love pizza and the fact that I would still be able to eat the toppings, while on low carb, was something alleviating, however now I crave the pizza base and cannot eat only the toppings.
I really want some chips with my meat, I got bored of eating meat with salad.
I also really want something sweet every day, either a cake-like or chocolate-like sweet.
If I eat only once per day and try to fast for 2-3 days every week, will I still be able to rip the benefits of ketosis/autophagy/hypoinsulinaemia?"

One of the problems with diabetes is that the damage that the food we eat is doing to us is not obvious and humans are great at only seeing the immediate future and being able to happily ignore the consequences further down the line. Trouble is they will get you eventually. A neighbour decided to be stubborn and not take advice on his diabetes as he wanted to eat and drink whatever he wanted - probably an alcoholic too, as he always had a beer in hand. People tried to help him but he wouldn't accept the help and now he is dead in his early 60's after a few miserable years of declining health ending up with a miserable bedridden existence. Does that prospect frighten you because it should? Did he he feel bad every time he drank a beer or ate the bread and the crisps and the pizza's. No he didn't but they killed him in the end. It's a choice and I can only guess he'd given up on life which is sad.

The only way you'll break the carb addiction is to go cold turkey. There are plenty of sites that can help you such as dietdoctor.com where there is a two week low carb challenge. Recipe ideas and shopping lists which make it easy. If you try to just cut down you are not breaking the addiction and you will go back. After two weeks you are well on your way - will hopefully have come through the carb flu which can make you feel unwell for a few days and will experiencing the amazing benefits to your health and energy levels that low carb high fat brings. A few months and you have made new habits for life.

Don't focus on what you can't have but on what you can have, bacon and egg breakfasts, glorious belly pork with steaming hot vegetables smothered in butter or stir fried with lashing of creme fraiche. If you don't like salads don't have them. Use above ground veg but serve it in interesting ways. Adding peri-peri flakes is great if you like spicy food. I thought I hated vegetables but now I love them and will sometimes have a veggie meal (any veg stir fried in coconut oil for 5 minutes then add lashings of creme fraiche , a dollop of mustard and some peri peri flakes. Or add grated cheese if you like cheese. You can finish it off by baking in the oven for 15 minutes but depends on the veg involved.) It tastes fantastic and something I'd never have dreamed off in the old high carb low fat (remember miserable steamed veg with no butter - Urghhh!)

Desserts if you must have them is a few berries with double cream.

Tastes change and after a few months you should find cravings disappear and the benefits to your health are the treasure that makes your future worth having. Always plenty of people on here for support and loads of great recipes available here and on diet doctor and ditch the carbs etc.

Good luck with changing your health and your life for the better.

Reactions: Prem51

JuliaAR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
www.dietdoctor.com
or the recipes on this site which you can download
There are so many really healthy, tasty alternatives to high carb foods out there. Loads of pizza recipes which are better than the tasteless doughy manufactured kind, loads of desserts (even made with chocolate) if you really can't bear to go without sweet stuff. Don't give up on yourself. You are stronger than you think and you can live a healthy, full and long life if you put your mind to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

nemiabonny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have seen you make that claim several times on this forum.

And i think you should stop saying it, unless you can provide some actual proof to support your claim. There are a heck of a lot of T2s out there, on varying diets and with varying medication (or none). There is no way on earth that you can know your claim is valid.

Having said that, congratulations on your blood glucose control. It is impressive. And I hope that you never have knee, or back, or hip (or any other) problems that prevent you from stair climbing.
Brunneria, Have you considered the fact that if there is somebody who has outdone me, he should have presented his claim by now. If you have not heard the names David Mendoza of mendoza.com and Sheri Colberg Ochs, you can google both names and you will easily find out who they are. Both of them validated my claim. Any time soon, you will see a book about me. Thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria, Have you considered the fact that if there is somebody who has outdone me, he should have presented his claim by now. If you have not heard the names David Mendoza of mendoza.com and Sheri Colberg Ochs, you can google both names and you will easily find out who they are. Both of them validated my claim. Any time soon, you will see a book about me. Thanks.

You have claimed to be
the first untreated 25+year T2D with no D complications.

Being interviewed about your diabetes and possibly being mentioned in a book does not affect my opinion in the slightest.

Firstly, you HAVE been treating your diabetes for all of this time. You have been exercising. Exercise, dietary changes and meds are all treatments.

Secondly, I am sure that your claim will not be presented in the book as you have stated it. No reputable doctor, or publisher, would let such an unverifiable claim stand. They may say something like 'this patient has managed to control their diabetes with exercise for 25 years. We have not yet seen another patient who has achieved this.' Or they may say 'out of the patients who have contacted us, we have not seen another who has managed without medication in this timespan.'

What they won't say is 'this is the first untreated 25+ T2D with no D complications.'
Because the claim is simply not verifiable.

As I previously said, I am very pleased that you remain complication free after such a long diagnosis, and I agree that your stair-running has probably been a huge factor in your health. Simply put, I think your achievement is magnificent, but your claim is unverifiable.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This may be bordering on the blasphemous, but does it really matter if nemiabonny's claim can be verified or not? The only problem I can see is that its dangerous to infer that others should go down the same route.
Best not turn this into a private battle?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Sounds an excellent result.
Make sure you tell us all about the book when it's published, it's always good to see when someone does so well.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re. this thread......

A few interesting obs:
1. Without Sugar posted as a guest.
2. The post seemed to consist of unquantified statements made in no particular context, save to say a complaint that the OP missed carbs and could not do without them.
3. Apart from a vague implication, she/he did not even state that they were diabetic. Of any flavour.
4. Since then, she/he has not raised their head, remaining silent.
5. This thread has provided a platform for certain antagonistic behaviours that have previously been manifested/commented on elsewhere on the forum. "Baiting" is a word that springs to mind.
5. Ergo, I feel that there is a strong smell of troll wafting about......:rolleyes:

Just my 2p worth......

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Re. this thread......

A few interesting obs:
2. The post seemed to consist of unquantified statements made in no particular context, save to say a complaint that the OP missed carbs and could not do without them.
3. Apart from a vague implication, she/he did not even state that they were diabetic. Of any flavour.
5. This thread has provided a platform for certain antagonistic behaviours that have previously been manifested/commented on elsewhere on the forum. "Baiting" is a word that springs to mind.
5. Ergo, I feel that there is a strong smell of troll wafting about......:rolleyes:

Just my 2p worth......

Maybe they just saw what the feeling was for their situation, and decided never to come back again?

D

Deleted member 308541

A few interesting obs:

Seeing as the OP's link to his / her profile is unclickable, I would say that he / she has either been banned for trolling.

I hope the @admin have banned the ip address being used at present, which will stop him / her posting under a new account name.

Status
Not open for further replies.