Can't eat due to tooth infection, advice needed!

M

mist

Hi,

I went to the dentist on Thursday with an infected tooth, I suspected an abscess as I have all the symptoms. The dentist took one quic look at my mouth and said I didn't have any infection and told me to come back to have my teeth cleaned.

I went back yesterday with severe pain as the infection has spread into my jaw and he took X-Ray's and told me that I did indeed have an infection and that the tooth has to be extracted which is taking place at some point in the future.

To my horror, he refused to provide me with antibiotics telling me that the infection wasn't bad enough, and to go back to him when the pain becomes to much to bear and he will then have another look.

I have been in agony all day and I cannot open my mouth or chew and swallowing is difficult, basically I cannot eat.

I'm type 1 diabetic and insulin dependant and need to eat, but I can't as the pain is to great!

I read on the NHS website that people with weakened immune systems should be given antibiotics? Well I've had cancer twice and with diabetes too I think I would come under that category?

I'm in bed now sucking on a boiled sweet in hopes of staving off any hypos..

I don't know what to do..I went to A&E and as soon as I told them I have a tooth infection they just turned me away..

I'm scared I might have a hypo in my sleep..

M

mrspuddleduck

Phone 111 the NHS non emergency number, explain your situation has got worse and that you are a type 1. They should be able to put you in touch with an emergency dental service who hopefully will give you some antibiotics. Good luck, Sue x

Reactions: 7 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi,

I went to the dentist on Thursday with an infected tooth, I suspected an abscess as I have all the symptoms. The dentist took one quic look at my mouth and said I didn't have any infection and told me to come back to have my teeth cleaned.

I went back yesterday with severe pain as the infection has spread into my jaw and he took X-Ray's and told me that I did indeed have an infection and that the tooth has to be extracted which is taking place at some point in the future.

To my horror, he refused to provide me with antibiotics telling me that the infection wasn't bad enough, and to go back to him when the pain becomes to much to bear and he will then have another look.

I have been in agony all day and I cannot open my mouth or chew and swallowing is difficult, basically I cannot eat.

I'm type 1 diabetic and insulin dependant and need to eat, but I can't as the pain is to great!

I read on the NHS website that people with weakened immune systems should be given antibiotics? Well I've had cancer twice and with diabetes too I think I would come under that category?

I'm in bed now sucking on a boiled sweet in hopes of staving off any hypos..

I don't know what to do..I went to A&E and as soon as I told them I have a tooth infection they just turned me away..

I'm scared I might have a hypo in my sleep..
I agree with Mrs P, 111 should be able to advise. I think I would be seeing a different dentist, personally.

In addition to antibiotics you should have been offered pain meds. You may be able to get something over the counter with codeine in it. It's not the best choice of opioid because it causes more constipation than the others for less pain relief. But it's available without a prescription. Paracetamol 1000mg 4 times a day would also help... but if you can't swallow pills then try some children's syrup. If you can't manage that, then maybe you need an injection of pain meds from A&E.

I've had severe tooth pain before and I found an ice pack held against the face helped a lot. Also drinking a small protein shake might help you get some food on board. You are doing the right thing sucking on a boiled sweet, I think. What is your BG level?

Good luck. Hugs.

Reactions: 6 people
C

chris lowe

Can you have some soup? As long as the temperatures right (not too hot/cold) you may be able to get some down . In the meantime do phone 111 and get some advice. Hope you can get sorted, there's no pain like a bad tooth. Awful for you

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
There was a thread recently about a tooth infection. In it I suggested A&E but someone posted and said whenever he has had these infections, the dentist can't do anything until antibiotics have cleared the infection.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/abscess-worry.81686/#post-915654

I do suggest seeing a doctor and getting some opioid pain meds stronger than codeine though, such as tramadol or morphine. tramadol has no effect on dental pain for me, so if they will let you have morphine I think that might help. Be careful if it's a doctor you haven't met before because they are on the lookout for people "drug seeking". If they can see evidence of infection or hear from the dentist that should help. They can also check your temperature. If you haven't take morphine before it could make you nauseous so ask for some pills to have on hand for that.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tagging @numan43 who knows about tooth infections and @noblehead who knows about sick day rules for T1s to manage their BG during an infection.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a similar problem with a tooth a few years back and I couldn't get into the dentist for a few days, so I went to my local GP and he prescribed me some antibiotics and pain relief straight away. So definitely consider bypassing the dentist and going straight to your doctor on this one.

BTW. How long before you're getting it extracted?

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
There should be an emergency dentist (NHS) on call over the weekend. Look on the net for the info regarding your area.
As a type 1 if using MDI you don't actually need to eat at all obviously you do if on mixed insulin. Also infection will raise your blood sugars. Soup is an option rather than eating sweets though.

T2 Med free

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am astonished that the guy with Type 1 couldn't get penicillin from his dentist. On Wednesday I saw my dentist who agreed I had a infection yes the tooth should come out but she gave me penicillin and wow I am feeling a lot better and only cost me £5.

T2 Med free

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your best bet change your Dentist he must be a total idiot ask your doctor. I had the same problem with my face I know I need the tooth removing I asked for penicillin so she gave me a private prescription only a £5 well spent.