Type 2 Carb blocker

Carol1957

Is this a silly question but is it worth taking a carb blocker such as XLS to allow me to eat more carbs like spuds or pasta? I’m type 2 by the way

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What’s in them? I can’t imagine that it would work (and the Amazon reviews are not great), but the only way to know for sure would be to try, test with your meter and see what happens.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 and I wouldn't want to take anything that meant I could then eat more of the things that I know are very harmful to my body. Why would I want to force more bad stuff into me?
I have just enjoyed a meal of spaghetti bolognaise, but I didnt have any spaghetti. It was very filling and tasty.

Reactions: oldgreymare

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this a silly question but is it worth taking a carb blocker such as XLS to allow me to eat more carbs like spuds or pasta? I’m type 2 by the way
No
Taking more medication to permit extra consumption of carbs when we have a problem with processing carbs is kinda crazy don't you think?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
No
Taking more medication to permit extra consumption of carbs when we have a problem with processing carbs is kinda crazy don't you think?

People who are lactose intolerant can take lactese (sp?) to allow them to eat dairy, so the basic concept isn't necessarily crazy. I just have severe doubts that the product would work, and would want to see studies on its safety if it does work. After all, insulin injections are the ultimate treatment that allows T2s to eat more carbs, and we know that they are to be avoided if possible, as T2s mostly already produce too much insulin and extra insulin just exacerbates weight issues and insulin resistance. (Not having a go at insulin dependent T2s, as I know that insulin production can be reduced by long term high bgs and some T2s will need it even if they go lower carb.)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting article here
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/carb-blockers-101#TOC_TITLE_HDR_9
having read it, I wouldn’t be bothering with a carb blocker.
They sound like a nice idea, but the studies referenced in the article are small, badly designed, and the one on rats specifically notes that the rats ate more after coming off the carb blockers. I think I would also be wary of the effects on the gut from the undigested starch fermenting...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What you choose to do to your body is your concern and your choice.

But I see absolutely no logic in taking something like that when I can simply reduce my carbohydrate intake to a level that my body is able to handle.

I was a chronic migraine sufferer and amongst other causes, there were a few foods that would trigger them. So it was a no- brainer to avoid these, and It seemed to me to be plain common sense when I ended up as T2 and carbohydrate intolerant, to take the same route and cut down on the (often inessential) foods that were in part causing my problem.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a fellow (?) carboholic my thoughts are don't go there that way lies madness.

Look I really get it. I would love to be able to eat carbs again but this doesn't strike me as a solution for a number of reasons:
1 us type 2s already have insulin resistance- what will the effect of this medication be on that. We can test for blood sugar levels but not insulin resistance very easily. 2. Eating carbs will likely lead to eating more carbs- my view is that they are addictive at least for me- which presumably means more of this medication- a bad cycle in my view. 3 what are the long term effects of this medication? Given how many people are concerned about possible effects of a vaccine which has some real reason to take it how much more careful should we be for something that has no good reason for taking it.

I'm sure there are more but the biggest one for me is I go low carb to avoid or delay the need for medication (insulin) why would I replace that with other medication. I also wouldn't want to go through keto flu more often than needed.