Carb counting advice please

Pumpkinbum34

Hello everyone :D

I have only recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and after taking several weeks for it to sink in plus getting use to my insulin regime I have decided to give Low Carbs ago to help lower my blood sugars, lose weight and benefit my Pcos.

I have been reading other posts on this forum but what I dont understand is do I count the whole carb value of the food or the " of which is sugar" value??

I would be most grateful for any advice :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Hello Pumpkinbum (great name, unfortunately you've arrived at a time when you might be forced to explain it: viewtopic.php?t=23569&p=215251#p215251

Anyway, unfortunately you have to count the whole carb amount, and not just sugar, it all turns to sugar in your blood once you eat it.

Some people deduct the "fibre" content of the carbohydrate (as it is much slower to digest), but to be on the safe side, you should probably count the whole lot.

Pumpkinbum34

Hello :D

Thank you for your reply. My bloods have been high for weeks now but it makes sense now as i was only taking into account the of which sugars! Will start counting properly and hopefully my bloods will see a huge improvement!

As for the reasoning behind pumpkinbum, I will have to leave that to my other half as it is his nick name for me..... Perhaps it is best i don't ask for an explanation! Lol :lol:

Thanks for your help x

pianoman

Hello and Welcome Izzy,

please also see... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates are chains built from the simplest monosaccharides: like glucose, fructose and galactose.

These chains increase in complexity: from disaccharides such as sucrose (table sugar) which is built from glucose + fructose, or lactose (in milk) which is galactose + glucose... all the way up to the polysaccharide cellulose/fibre which humans are not supposed to be able to digest -- ruminants such as cows have enteric flora which can digest cellulose to extract the sugars.

These chains (with the possible exception of cellulose) are broken down by our digestive system using enzymes and other methods.

The "of which sugars" shown on the nutrition labels is comprised only of the simpler monosaccharides and disaccharides. The difference between the "Carbohydrates" amount and the "of which sugars" is technically termed "Starch" and this is comprised of polysaccharides other than fibre. In all cases these "Starches" will tend to raise your Blood Glucose sooner or later and in many cases of processed/packaged foods it will likely be just as soon as if you had eaten plain glucose.

In other parts of the world the label shows "Total Carbohydrates" with sub-totals for "Sugars" and "Fibre" but also does not show the "Starch" sub-total.

So many words that can all mean higher BGs :( and words like "Sugar" that can have subtly different meanings.

This layer of confusion built into the nutrition label, is I suspect, ripe for exploitation by the food manufacturers... for example by removing the sucrose (a "Sugar") from a product and replacing it with a "Starch" like maltodextrin (which rapidly digests to glucose) they can claim "No Added Sugar" on the label -- but the product is just as sweet and has just as much impact on BG as before.

So it becomes important to also read the list of ingredients to weed out these hidden sugars.

There is yet another potential trick: the ingredients are listed by quantity (more quantity = higher up the list) so by breaking the "sugar" into different types, they can list each of them scattered and lower in the list, whereas in a straightforward recipe it would be much clearer how much sugar it contained :?

Here's an example of an ingredient list for McD's special burger sauce -- spotted in a post earlier today -- I count at least 3 sources of carbohydrates that are likely to rapidly impact BGs..
Water, Vegetable Oil (Soya Bean Oil), Diced Gherkin, Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Modified Maize Starch, Free Range Egg Yolk, Mustard Seed, Salt, Preservatives (Acetic Acid, Potassium Sorbate), Mustard Flour, Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Natural Flavourings (contains Soya), Dried Garlic, Spice, Colour (Paprika Extract)

Good luck! Please stay around, read, share and ask questions :D

Pumpkinbum34

Hi :D

Thank you for your reply. That information is very interesting and i have spent most of the day checking out food labels! Lol. I am already starting to benefit from carb counting, reaching 9.3 today which is the lowest I have had in weeks and it is only day one!

Many thanks again,

minitata

You're lucky Izzy that your husband picked such a nickname - mine called me 'Fat Girl' for a while, but his children told the local children and after a few shouts of 'Hi Fat Girl' down the street I made him stop.

Cheers (and hi)

MTT