Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Geordie_P, that is an amazing weight loss and your diet doesn't sound a million miles away from mine, although I may be eating more meat and cheese, and I'm drinking bulletproof coffee in lieu of breakfast most days.

I'm experimenting a lot with a wide variety of herbs and spices to ring the changes and have devised a peanut butter satay sauce that is brilliant on veg, prawns etc. (If you're interested, go for the nut butter brands that list peanuts, oil and salt as their only ingredients).

I haven't tried kimchi, but would like to. Is it like sauerkraut, or stronger?

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
28lbs in a month is excellent. Do you do a lot of exercise also?

I've lost quite a bit since diagnosis too. I havent felt this healthy in years with so much more energy.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys,
I think this thread is probably 'dead' now, but just in case anyone is still following, I did my first self-blood test today. Two hours after my evening meal, I did a test on my new accu-chek, and it came out as 4.9.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,
I think this thread is probably 'dead' now, but just in case anyone is still following, I did my first self-blood test today. Two hours after my evening meal, I did a test on my new accu-chek, and it came out as 4.9.
We're always interested in success stories.. keep on posting away you're doing a grand job. Inspiring!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Not exactly: I got a shock diagnosis at the start of October, and all I knew was that carbs and sugar were to be avoided, and my triglycerides were through the roof-32.7 I think, with 5 being as high as the warning scale went. So I just cut all added sugar and carbs first, while I tried to learn what was going on. Now I've learned about the Newcastle diet, I might go for it later, but my weight has been coming off faster than I thought possible- 200lbs down to 172lbs (I'm 5'10, for reference) so far, so I'll see what happens in my second venous blood test and take it from there. I'm in a bit of an odd stage right now- my fasting venous test was 13.2, and the doc said that's definitely diabetes, but when I went back 2 weeks later, I did a fasting finger prick test and it was 5.8. I asked the doctor if I could still be pre-diabetic, or if eating really badly the day before my venous test could have skewed the reading; he said it's unlikely, but worth checking again in a couple of months to see if I could still turn things around. So just by happenstance, I've ended up doing something that is a bit 'Newcastle-lite', or maybe more like the Michael Mosley blood sugar diet, or maybe even Jason Fung, but I'm taking it a bit easier on the fats than he says, on account of my trigs. I haven't got round to getting my bg tester yet, I know I should, but I'm just doing everything I can diet wise anyway, and I'll be getting another venous test done in december.

So as far as my experience might apply to other people, I'm not sure about bg, coz I haven't been monitoring it, BUT my weight has plummetted, and more importantly, I had such neuropathy in my feet that I could hardly walk at the start of October, and loads of tendon and nerve issues in my hands, and that's all reduced massively. I still have it, but it's light enough that I forget it when I'm at work or out and about. I've also lost the raging hunger and thirst I was plagued with before.
I'm still too new to have the temerity to 'advise' others, but I'm happy to share diet notes and ideas, so just in case anyone wants to know the breakdown of what I'm eating, I'll post it- and if you see any flaws in it, let me know

Breakfast: (6:30am) 1 boiled egg. Sometimes 5-10 almonds if I'm still hungry
Lunch: (12:30) smallish bowl of Kale or chinese cabbage with a piece of salmon or steamed chicken
Evening meal: (5-7 pm, depending on work) basically the same as lunch, but if I had kale and chicken, I'll have cauliflower and salmon in the evening, or some such variation.

And that's about it. If I'm stuck at work too long, I have a tin of sardines before my evening meal- I've been using tomato sardines with the sauce washed off, but sometimes I have oil ones now too. I used to have a dragonfruit as I heard they were good for lowering bg, but now I'm suspicious of the fructose, so I've just cut all fruit.

I've also ditched black coffee as I read it impairs insulin function- I need to find out more on that, but I drink a lot of Chinese tea to keep me going, so it's not a huge miss right now.

Can I keep this diet up? Honestly, I'm not finding it too difficult right now, and I was a *REAL* glutton before. If my venous test results are good, I'll let you know.
Any form of fish is good, particularly the oily ones, mackerel, sardine, salmon. The latter goes very well with scrambled eggs. When I'm not running off to work and have the time, scrambled eggs and salmon are my go to for breakfast. Also eggs have vital amino acids which we need for the growth of our hair and skin. So, win, win. Just remember to avoid fish in things like tomato sauce, go for ones in brine instead, the tomato sauce is usually high in sugar.

The weight does come off quick at first, I've lost nearly 2 stone, but seem to have slowed down and stuck slightly. Exercise is good, even a half hour walk per day (which can be broken down into short walks of 10 mins). Look to be slightly out of breath when you are walking - very good cardio. Also have you thought about swimming?

I've been surprised at just how quickly my fitness levels have improved and I've only been diagnosed for 2 months (31 August). Nothing like an altered reality to give you a swift kick up the rear (for me at least!). Keep in mind that it will take time for your HBA1C levels to come down - remember that when they do the test, it takes an average of the glucose levels, so it is to a degree a history of what your levels were. Personal testing is good - I do this - from this you definitely learn what makes your levels spike and what to avoid. Either way, good luck and keep posting! Everyone is very helpful here and you can learn far more from them then a lot of what any docs or nurses would tell us (and believe me some of the nurses need to go back and get retrained!).

Reactions: Geordie_P