Carb Limits

Tyronnster

Hello

Sorry for the random post but looking for some guidance.

Recently changed to basal bolus or vice versa (always get mixed up lol)

When was with diabetic nurse she started me on 4 units 3 times a day working 10g to 1 unit of novarapid.

My question is in regards to amount of carbs per meal. I found my lunch was nearly 60g of carbs (roughly checking) fishcakes/salad and bread

If I am trying to stick to 40g I'm finding myself still hungry etc.

The diabetic nurse mentioned can amend if having a meal which is more but what I am worried about is meals being over an constantly having to adjust insulin.

Sorry for weird question

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well you work on your insulin to carb ratio, so if yours is 1 unit of insulin to 10g of carbs and you eat 40g for lunch tthen that would mean you'd inject 4 units, if the meals was made of 70g of carbs then you'd inject 7 units. Basal/bolus allows you to be flexible with the amount of carbs that you eat unlike fixed doses, hopefully in time you'll get onto the DAFNE course which teaches you all this.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Also though, sometimes you may not wish to eat as much so if you ate 30g then you would need to follow the same basis and lower your insulin to 3g.

It is very good actually that your nurse has instructed on a basis of 120g a day.. Most nurses or dietitians would load you up with carbs....

Has nurse told you to stick to eating 3 times a day or has she suggested what to do if you had a snack inbetween?

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Snacks.. If needed and if wanted are two separate things!!!! -lol!!