Carbs and Blood pressure

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found blood pressure,is lower, since going low carb.

Then again I have lost a lots of weight, since going Low Carb.

I think weight def has a big part to play in blood pressure.

I also found cutting back on the like of cheese, help with BP as well.

I also found BG and BP both higher after a work out, but then dropped back down with an hour after exercise. So time of day have a major impact of BP too.
My BP is lower since I made my changes too, but so is my resting rAte. I just read and was 117/74 pulse 52. But then my resting rate hovers around 45 to 47 nowadays. Prior to weight loss was more like 132/80 pulse 64-67

So, quite possible low carb causing weight loss is more the difference

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have this visualisation of your GP as that snake in Jungle book cartoon, singing 'trust in me, just in meee' - but I was told that I was a very bad diabetic at diagnosis - so I am living up to it and refusing all medication.
So far I feel - well - wonderful, to be honest.
That is such a funny vision thanks for the giggle :)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, thanks.

The DN just said to avoid salt. Which, given I don't have any added salt, and cook from scratch, is a bit difficult.

Apart from that, she had no ideas to offer and wasn't interested in my Hba1c/blood pressure relationship chart.

Again it is sad that the medical profession seem to have no interest in things that might be life changing to people. I think it makes sense that low carb may effect blood pressure- it's got rid of my asthma- there is a lot more to it than people realise.

My tests showed that I needed to increase my salt- when I mentioned pork crackling my dr nearly went into spasms.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In my personal experience. My blood pressure has come down over the years since low carbing to the point where I have dropped one BP med and halved the dose of another one (with my GP’s blessing).
Mine has done the same - only take 4mg of Candasartan now as opposed to 8mg a couple of years ago

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told 9+ years ago, after diagnosis, and every annual visit since, that I should be on bp medication, all diabetics must take them, and statins, to protect us. Even though for the last 8+ years my bp has been normal. Apparently its part of the trifecta of meds we should all be on forever. The third one is metformin.
I was also told that all diabetics should take statins which trustingly took but I but soon came off them due to side effects and found that they were the cause of the sudden rise in my hba1c from 48 at diagnosis to 54.