Carbs and Blood pressure

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found blood pressure,is lower, since going low carb.

Then again I have lost a lots of weight, since going Low Carb.

I think weight def has a big part to play in blood pressure.

I also found cutting back on the like of cheese, help with BP as well.

I also found BG and BP both higher after a work out, but then dropped back down with an hour after exercise. So time of day have a major impact of BP too.
My BP is lower since I made my changes too, but so is my resting rAte. I just read and was 117/74 pulse 52. But then my resting rate hovers around 45 to 47 nowadays. Prior to weight loss was more like 132/80 pulse 64-67

So, quite possible low carb causing weight loss is more the difference

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have this visualisation of your GP as that snake in Jungle book cartoon, singing 'trust in me, just in meee' - but I was told that I was a very bad diabetic at diagnosis - so I am living up to it and refusing all medication.
So far I feel - well - wonderful, to be honest.
That is such a funny vision thanks for the giggle :)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, thanks.

The DN just said to avoid salt. Which, given I don't have any added salt, and cook from scratch, is a bit difficult.

Apart from that, she had no ideas to offer and wasn't interested in my Hba1c/blood pressure relationship chart.

Again it is sad that the medical profession seem to have no interest in things that might be life changing to people. I think it makes sense that low carb may effect blood pressure- it's got rid of my asthma- there is a lot more to it than people realise.

My tests showed that I needed to increase my salt- when I mentioned pork crackling my dr nearly went into spasms.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my personal experience. My blood pressure has come down over the years since low carbing to the point where I have dropped one BP med and halved the dose of another one (with my GP’s blessing).
Mine has done the same - only take 4mg of Candasartan now as opposed to 8mg a couple of years ago

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told 9+ years ago, after diagnosis, and every annual visit since, that I should be on bp medication, all diabetics must take them, and statins, to protect us. Even though for the last 8+ years my bp has been normal. Apparently its part of the trifecta of meds we should all be on forever. The third one is metformin.
I was also told that all diabetics should take statins which trustingly took but I but soon came off them due to side effects and found that they were the cause of the sudden rise in my hba1c from 48 at diagnosis to 54.