Carbs and Blood pressure

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any information on whether a higher carb intake can raise blood pressure?

I just noticed, looking back over 9 years of medical information, that the lower my Hba1c, the lower my blood pressure.

Reactions: Andy_Warlow

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any information on whether a higher carb intake can raise blood pressure?

I just noticed, looking back over 9 years of medical information, that the lower my Hba1c, the lower my blood pressure.
Its not the relationship of carb to blood pressure, its rather relationship of high carb affecting blood sugar and then higher blood sugar to your blood pressure due to the AGEs production. Advanced Glycation Endproducts. You probably could read about "Wheat Belly" online where Dr. William Davis explains this phenomenon. The more AGEs you produce, the more damage you do to your arteries resulting in high blood pressure.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my personal experience. My blood pressure has come down over the years since low carbing to the point where I have dropped one BP med and halved the dose of another one (with my GP’s blessing).

Reactions: mojo37

PiersAaron

I started keto and my blood pressure dropped to 120/80 after 90 days of keto. Before keto my blood pressure was 135/90 (no blood pressure meds before or after starting keto). After 90 days of keto, my weight dropped from 275lbs to 240lbs. So it is hard to say whether the keto or the weight loss (maybe a little of both) caused the blood pressure reduction. Just my two cents.

Reactions: LaoDan

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is also interesting about fluid retention, something I get.
See also Why We Get Sick by Ben Bikman re body holding onto fluid via the kidneys to deal with carbs hence the fluid loss and keto flu symptoms when people rapidly drop their carbs, lose fluids and minerals unless they add a little salt. Then the body adjusts and blood pressure comes down unless there's another cause for it. Hypertension is a well known symptom of metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance alongside type 2, fatty liver, visceral obesity and low hdl/high trigs.
I think doctors are trained to look for those individual issues and treat them as such.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See also Why We Get Sick by Ben Bikman re body holding onto fluid via the kidneys to deal with carbs hence the fluid loss and keto flu symptoms when people rapidly drop their carbs, lose fluids and minerals unless they add a little salt. Then the body adjusts and blood pressure comes down unless there's another cause for it. Hypertension is a well known symptom of metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance alongside type 2, fatty liver, visceral obesity and low hdl/high trigs.
I think doctors are trained to look for those individual issues and treat them as such.
Interesting, thanks.

The DN just said to avoid salt. Which, given I don't have any added salt, and cook from scratch, is a bit difficult.

Apart from that, she had no ideas to offer and wasn't interested in my Hba1c/blood pressure relationship chart.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood pressure readings have come down since going lower carb

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its not the relationship of carb to blood pressure, its rather relationship of high carb affecting blood sugar and then higher blood sugar to your blood pressure due to the AGEs production. Advanced Glycation Endproducts. You probably could read about "Wheat Belly" online where Dr. William Davis explains this phenomenon. The more AGEs you produce, the more damage you do to your arteries resulting in high blood pressure.

I read a study (I guess it was in Wheat Belly) that concluded diabetics produce 60% more AGEs products than non-diabetics. I would think those with poorly controlled diabetes.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
On the low carb forum it is quite common for people to be taking tablets for high blood pressure and to start going dizzy after a while so the advice is to reduce the tablets - it is advising on medical matters, but several people have had falls, one quite a serious one due to their BP dropping too low.
There are often reports of HCPs declaring that once on medication for high blood pressure it is for life, a similar attitude to the ongoing degeneration of type twos belief.

Reactions: PiersAaron

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the low carb forum it is quite common for people to be taking tablets for high blood pressure and to start going dizzy after a while so the advice is to reduce the tablets - it is advising on medical matters, but several people have had falls, one quite a serious one due to their BP dropping too low.
There are often reports of HCPs declaring that once on medication for high blood pressure it is for life, a similar attitude to the ongoing degeneration of type twos belief.
I was told 9+ years ago, after diagnosis, and every annual visit since, that I should be on bp medication, all diabetics must take them, and statins, to protect us. Even though for the last 8+ years my bp has been normal. Apparently its part of the trifecta of meds we should all be on forever. The third one is metformin.

Reactions: Larissima

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting post. I think it's one of those things that (unless sky high or extremely low) it's different for everyone, a bit like cholesterol. Mine is always around 120/90 whenever it's taken at the Docs so they go through the 'what is causing it list', weight - NO (thin), lack of exercise - NO, runs every day, etc . They um and ah and at one stage I went on a ambulatory BP monitor for 24 hours (had to go private). It showed that actually MOST of the time my BP was bang in the middle of normal and fairly low at night. So the once every 6 months check was pretty useless on its own. My point being, that the odd BP test is nothing more than a snapshot and it is VERY easy for a GP to assume it's because of someone's weight etc when it could be due to just about ANYTHING. Why do they ALWAYS put these things down to the physical appearance of the person before them and as usual just assume that if you have a certain condition ALL these things you haven't got must be treated anyway? @lucylocket61, have you ever had an ambulatory test? x

Reactions: Larissima

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just gone into Metformin for type 2 and my BP is 240/129 on BP medication but my doctor has said nothing about carb reduction.
Are you sure about that reading? Most charts seem to say you need emergency help at that level.
Blood Pressure.jpg

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just gone into Metformin for type 2 and my BP is 240/129 on BP medication but my doctor has said nothing about carb reduction.
That BP is very dangerously high. I suggest ringing for some medical intervention asap.

Incidentally, please can you fill in your profile? It's a great help to know from your profile what type of diabetes you have, and any diabetes meds you are on. We won't know how to answer your questions effectively if we don't know, as we may not see previous posts with that information.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told 9+ years ago, after diagnosis, and every annual visit since, that I should be on bp medication, all diabetics must take them, and statins, to protect us. Even though for the last 8+ years my bp has been normal. Apparently its part of the trifecta of meds we should all be on forever. The third one is metformin.
I have this visualisation of your GP as that snake in Jungle book cartoon, singing 'trust in me, just in meee' - but I was told that I was a very bad diabetic at diagnosis - so I am living up to it and refusing all medication.
So far I feel - well - wonderful, to be honest.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have this visualisation of your GP as that snake in Jungle book cartoon, singing 'trust in me, just in meee' - but I was told that I was a very bad diabetic at diagnosis - so I am living up to it and refusing all medication.
So far I feel - well - wonderful, to be honest.
My GP has never tried BP or statins as my levels are fine. They are also more than happy for me to reduce my meds to zero if I can

Does sound like there are some who just have bad opinions, I’m glad I don’t have one.

Reactions: mojo37

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
I found blood pressure,is lower, since going low carb.

Then again I have lost a lots of weight, since going Low Carb.

I think weight def has a big part to play in blood pressure.

I also found cutting back on the like of cheese, help with BP as well.

I also found BG and BP both higher after a work out, but then dropped back down with an hour after exercise. So time of day have a major impact of BP too.