Carbs and Cals

Martino

I am using the carbs and cals app and have been interested in the totals. Since I learned that I was prediabetic I thought I needed to take some action but didn’t know where to start. I will be going on a diabetes awareness course but meantime I am trying to be more food aware. If anyone out there is using the app could you let me know how to use the collected data.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You need to test in conjunction with counting the carbs. So test before a meal, then again 2hrs after the first bite. See how much the carbs in that meal raise your levels. You are looking for under 2.
Tagging some people who’ll explain better @Rachox @Goonergal @Debandez

Reactions: Debandez

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Diakat , unfortunately I have never used the Carbs and Cals app. I just use backs of packets, the internet in general or the app Nutracheck to work out the carbs in what I eat. I have kept spreadsheets from the day I was diagnosed over two years ago! I started by dropping to under 100g carbs/day and by testing before and 2 hours after meals, and continued to decrease the carbs til I reached consistently non diabetic numbers. I maintain at 30 - 50g/day now.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to test in conjunction with counting the carbs. So test before a meal, then again 2hrs after the first bite. See how much the carbs in that meal raise your levels. You are looking for under 2.
Tagging some people who’ll explain better @Rachox @Goonergal @Debandez

Thanks for the tag @Diakat

I've attached a brilliant leaflet @Rachox put together for an event we held in Birmingham last year for info. I use code free as they are probably the most economical. Many monitors are given free but the test strips do cost. Code free have offer codes to bring cost down. I have invested in a libre sensor too which gives so much info. But I find the code free provides me with enough info for me to make good choices. I tested a lot straight after diagnosis. Now I really know what I can eat and what i cant i dont test as much.

I use my monitor in conjunction with mysugr app. I have never counted cals. And only roughly guestimare carbs. Hate all that counting malarkey! I have about 50g more or less a day. Usually less.

Tesco website is brilliant for checking carb content.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190817-191240_Drive_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-191240_Drive_resized.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 332
  • Screenshot_20190817-191706_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-191706_Drive.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 338
Reactions: Rachox

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Oh and I have used carbs and Cals. I used it to record meal content and insulin doses but these days I pretty much know the carb counts so don’t use it anymore!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I've attached a brilliant leaflet @Rachox put together for an event we held in Birmingham last year for info. I use code free as they are probably the most economical. Many monitors are given free but the test strips do cost. Code free have offer codes to bring cost down. I have invested in a libre sensor too which gives so much info. But I find the code free provides me with enough info for me to make good choices. I tested a lot straight after diagnosis. Now I really know what I can eat and what i cant i dont test as much.

I use my monitor in conjunction with mysugr app. I have never counted cals. And only roughly guestimare carbs. Hate all that counting malarkey! I have about 50g more or less a day. Usually less.

Tesco website is brilliant for checking carb content.
Ah I forgot my blood glucose testing sheet!

Reactions: Debandez

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Like @Rachox and @Debandez I don’t use preloaded information in apps to calculate carbs - don’t trust anyone else’s entries so have a list I’ve put together myself from backs of packets etc. Once you know the number of carbs per 100g, then you just need to weigh food to calculate the carb content. When I cook to a recipe I enter all the ingredients separately and store the recipe in my app so that I don’t have to calculate it each time I eat it. Over time you’ll be able to estimate using your eyes.

These days, in practice most things I eat are pretty close to zero carb - my daily average intake of carbs is around 5g - so it’s really geekiness that keeps me recording rather than any need to count carbs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Like @Rachox and @Debandez I don’t use preloaded information in apps to calculate carbs - don’t trust anyone else’s entries so have a list I’ve put together myself from backs of packets etc.

My Fitness Pal is the worst for inaccuracies, I have found, if they don’t have a value they enter zero rather than just a dash, very misleading!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Like @Rachox and @Debandez I don’t use preloaded information in apps to calculate carbs - don’t trust anyone else’s entries so have a list I’ve put together myself from backs of packets etc. Once you know the number of carbs per 100g, then you just need to weigh food to calculate the carb content. When I cook to a recipe I enter all the ingredients separately and store the recipe in my app so that I don’t have to calculate it each time I eat it. Over time you’ll be able to estimate using your eyes.

These days, in practice most things I eat are pretty close to zero carb - my daily average intake of carbs is around 5g - so it’s really geekiness that keeps me recording rather than any need to count carbs.
The list you have created sounds like a great resource :)