Carbs free diet

brooker

Hi,
I'm male.
I've had Diabetes Type 2 for 20 years, my current reading after fasting is 6.8, without trying too hard.
I was obese when I got my Diabetes and the diet I eat now, is a daily thing, each mealtime, with a few exceptions.
Eating just my diet alone, I have shed my weight down to 98kg where my doctor recommends 97kg as being ideal.
I am a couch potato and I rarely exercise, except to go shopping every few days and nothing else.
I eat shaved (cooked) roast beef, which I buy from my local deli, I buy 1kg at a time and keep it cool in my fridge..
I don't have many real teeth left in my head and shaved meat is a lot easier to eat, with or without dentures.
I have 1 apple a day.
I buy bags of frozen vegetables.
Every morning, I put 1 apple in my blender and reduce it, flesh, skin and all to liquid.
Then I top up the blender with fresh, uncooked greens, usually the type where there is a mixture of green vegetables, carrots, broccoli or other "good" vegetables in the frozen, bulk bag I purchase and blend that as well.
I drink the mix, after I have eaten my meat and before I take my medication.
Lunch and tea, the same, however with tap water instead of an apple.
Once you get into the routine it is easy to continue with it.
The 3 meals cost roughly $5 each "meal".
You can eat as many greens as you like, to top up.
No salt, sugar, alcohol, smoking, chocolate, cake, rice, potatoes and all the good things in life - gone for good.
Your Diabetes count will drop as will your weight, without doing anything much else.
It is really a choice, life that is - do you want to live to a ripe old age with your Diabetes in check, or not.
Nothing good is free, it all comes at a price!!
I thought I would be dead by 65 - I'm 73 now and life, looking back, passed in a flash.
I don't want to die any time soon, nor, do I want to end up in a home for the elderly, when I can't look after myself anymore, so I'll avoid that like the plague, should I live that long......um 90's perhaps?
We only have one life and we are a long time dead, so time enough then to wonder what we might have done differently.
Last advice: Don't make the mistake which kills you through inattention to what is happening around you - it can only take 1 second.
I brought up 5 kids over 2 marriages and only 2 survive, one in each family.
I sometimes wonder if it was worth being a stepfather for such a small return.

brooker

Um, I forgot to mention - drink lots of water.
The water here tastes foul, so I flavor it with sugar free cordial to taste.
Best Wishes

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @brooker and welcome

I’m glad that you’ve found an eating regime that works for you. However, I would question that it is carbs free. Apples and carrots in particular, as well as the other veg you describe all contain carbohydrates.

These charts which show the typical carb content per 100g of fruits, veg and other fruits may be helpful to you, or others:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/fruits

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @brooker ,

One medium sized apple has about 25 grams of carbs. That's 5 spoonfuls. Put them in a blender, liquify them, and you take out any fibres that could've potentially slowed down a sugar spike. Basically, it's a shot of sugarwater you're adding to your regime. And as @Goonergal stated, things like carrots.... Carby. There's still a lot to gain from changing your diet. I see you're on quite a bit of metformin for instance... Could well be you could ditch that if you get rid of the apples and other carby foods.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this might help you. Your diet seems a little bland right now, a little variety might spice things up. And get your blood sugars further down. It won't cure the corona virus though. ;)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I don't understand the tile of "Carbs free"... if you are claiming it is a carb free diet you follow, then that is clearly wrong.

I don't think too many people will be interested in eating this way three times a day. It's extremely restrictive, but if that works for you and you enjoy it, then great.

Here's a well written guide for nutrition by one of our members, very informative and may open up a whole new world of eating low carb and expanding your diet to include other healthy options.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that it will still be sausages and mushrooms for my breakfast tomorrow - and the nutribullet will remain in the cupboard as I soon found that not even blended salad was a good idea, according to my meter. If you can cope with the amount of carb you are eating, that's fine - we are all different and need to tweak out diets to suit. You seem to be doing well - long may it continue.