Carnivore Corner

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been throwing out high 5’s and couldn’t figure out why but I’ve ended up with laryngitis and a productive hacking cough so there’s my answer.
I’m obviously quite ill but I feel fine and that’s been the same for all the years I’ve been keto and Vit D supplementing; it’s rare I get a viral attack but when I do I’m not actually feeling the effects at all.

Has anyone else noticed the same?

I think getting enough vit D3 and K2 has done more for my immune system than going carnivore keto.
I certainly don’t feel invincible.

But then my husband is exposed to every virus, plague and bug going, because he works with the public, and then he brings them home.

I do think that my viruses tend to be less severe than they used to be in my 30s and 40s.
But then I was working in an open plan office, too. Might as well have been a plague ward - especially with parents of school age children doing the Germ Swap all around (and over) me.

Saw a documentary once (sorry, no refs) explaining that as we age, our exposure to each virus leads to a 5 year (approx) resistance to that virus, and the more we encounter, the better our immune system gets at resisting and overcoming the next one.

This explains why the older we get, the fewer viruses we develop, and the milder they get.

Although I guess this is on the assumption that we have no other autoimmune issues or contributing health issues, and diabetes/fluctuating bgs can do that. I think we all know someone who ‘has never been ill a day in their lives’ yet eats rubbish. I know several people like that. Also people who eat excellently, yet get ill.

I always found that a nasty hypo would lead, almost inevitably, to a viral infection a few days later. And the worse the hypo, the worst the virus would strike. It was like clockwork. So I kind of subscribe to the idea that the bugs surround us 24/7 and we only succumb when something is out of wack. But it isn’t all about diet. It can be stress, jet lag, fatigue, depression, anything that depresses the immune system.

So a good diet is great, but it isn’t a Guaranteed Get Out Of Jail Card.

Sorry @wiflib that started as a short response and grew into a hobby horse. The horse ride wasn’t aimed at you! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: bulkbiker

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 33990 Emergency chicken. Chicken and salt on the ingredients list.
I;ve had similar "flame grilled" pieces from Ocado/Waitrose,and my only concern was with the "Prepared with 102g of Chicken per 100g of finished produce" which made my suspicious mind wonder what they'd done to it as I've seen similar on processed meat packs..But having said that it tastes fine and looks like "proper" chicken rather than reconstituted stuff, so I'll add this Morrisons one to my shopping list as I'm trying to do reduced food preparation due to "poorly" hand recovering from carpal tunnel operation.

Robbity

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prepared with 102g of Chicken per 100g of finished produce"

Surely that’s just because if shrinkage - loss of water weight etc as it’s cooked. Meat always weighs less after cooking.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely that’s just because if shrinkage - loss of water weight etc as it’s cooked. Meat always weighs less after cooking.

I was going to suggest skin, potentially subcutaneous fat rendering off in the cooking phase, or even the loss of those few bits and ends that can come off when slicing.

Of course, I could over over, over thinking it. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but I was puzzled about WHY they needed such a disclaimer - as I (perhaps wrongly) assume that if something's sold cooked, the label would list this weight rather than its pre-cooked one... But maybe I'm overthinking too! :banghead:

Robbity

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but I was puzzled about WHY they needed such a disclaimer - as I (perhaps wrongly) assume that if something's sold cooked, the label would list this weight rather than its pre-cooked one... But maybe I'm overthinking too! :banghead:

Robbity

Good point!

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool new pic.. I have a similar one from last year.. View attachment 33743

Hope they get yours up a bit quicker!
I just watched your video story on Diet Doctor :). As I was listening and read the intro and then the video transcript, I think they misinterpreted how long you had taken Metformin. You said you'd only taken it for 3 weeks but 3 months later you had good Hb1ac results, didn't you? Well, the intro says you'd only given up Metformin 3 weeks before that visit to the nurse a few months later. You'd actually been diet controlled quite a bit longer though, right?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Robbity
Maybe it is not a disclaimer but is intended to prove that it does not include water or other additions. I would be concerned if the cooked weight was more than the pre-cooked weight.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it is not a disclaimer but is intended to prove that it does not include water or other additions. I would be concerned if the cooked weight was more than the pre-cooked weight.
Exactly. One has to watch out for processed cooked meats particularly where they are pumped up with water and goodness knows what else. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just watched your video story on Diet Doctor :). As I was listening and read the intro and then the video transcript, I think they misinterpreted how long you had taken Metformin. You said you'd only taken it for 3 weeks but 3 months later you had good Hb1ac results, didn't you? Well, the intro says you'd only given up Metformin 3 weeks before that visit to the nurse a few months later. You'd actually been diet controlled quite a bit longer though, right?
I started metformin on 30th October 2015 took it for 3 weeks ... next HbA1c was 11 Dec 2015 for a review with the diabetes nurse. I had started low carb from about 13 October when I got my first HbA1c result of 87 mmol/m and found this site. So you're right the HbA1c was in fact 2 months after the initial diagnosis. By then it was down at 45 mmol/m which the nurse tried to claim was down to the metformin. Memory playing tricks or my maths skills reducing...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my point being even though it may have lost liquid in the cooking process it would still be 100% chicken so why not simply provide the cooked weight which is what is being sold.

Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my point being even though it may have lost liquid in the cooking process it would still be 100% chicken so why not simply provide the cooked weight which is what is being sold.

Robbity
That will be the weight listed on the pack i.e. 100g...
The nutritional info however will probably have been calculated from the pre cooked weight.
So if your 100g of cooked chicken came from say 120g of raw chicken then the nutritional details should be based on the 120g not 100g otherwise it would not be correct.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Robbity

Robbity, I recently noticed, whilst waiting to raid the yoghurt section in Lidl, that they sell frozen chicken breasts containing something like 96% chicken, with the rest water and sugar. I mean why? Apart from bulking them out and making them "tastier".

They do sell others with no added sugar. Having encountered the sweetened ones, I had to check. I must admit the added water is one of the reasons I always buy whole chickens and butcher them at home, to create what we want. The wings are great, along with the other bones for stock.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I started metformin on 30th October 2015 took it for 3 weeks ... next HbA1c was 11 Dec 2015 for a review with the diabetes nurse. I had started low carb from about 13 October when I got my first HbA1c result of 87 mmol/m and found this site. So you're right the HbA1c was in fact 2 months after the initial diagnosis. By then it was down at 45 mmol/m which the nurse tried to claim was down to the metformin. Memory playing tricks or my maths skills reducing...
Oh I see, so both are correct. You took it for 3 weeks and then had your 2nd test 3 weeks after that. Makes sense knowing the dates.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Robbity
Suppose they said this 100g of chicken was originally 80g that would mean it had added water or something, so saying if was originally more than 100g is a plus point at least to a marketing person.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does this get me into the “club”?

Bistecca a la Fiorentina

IMG_2406.jpg

Preceeded by (I didn’t eat the lettuce )

IMG_2405.jpg

Reactions: Larissima

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Robbity, I recently noticed, whilst waiting to raid the yoghurt section in Lidl, that they sell frozen chicken breasts containing something like 96% chicken, with the rest water and sugar. I mean why? Apart from bulking them out and making them "tastier".

They do sell others with no added sugar. Having encountered the sweetened ones, I had to check. I must admit the added water is one of the reasons I always buy whole chickens and butcher them at home, to create what we want. The wings are great, along with the other bones for stock.
Yes most of the time I do actually buy raw chicken (pieces) to cook myself, it was just with my bad hand I was needing some idiot-proof prep stuff while it's been healing.

Robbity