Carpal tunnel

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Hi all , I'm type 1 for 18 years, and for the last 12 months I've been getting pins and needles and swelling in my right hand and arm it's got progressively worst so I went yo the doctors and they said its carpal tunnel so I'm booked in to see a Neuro-Physiology this Tuesday ! I'm a self employed dog groomer so can't really have time off . Is this common in diabetics? what's the recovery time. Thanks Peter

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They will do a electronic test on your fingers to confirm the diagnosis.

Options are splints to be worn at night. Not sure if they give them to you or whether you have to buy them yourself now.

Op takes a morning or afternoon in hospital. Recovery about two weeks. Mine was nothing like that.. I went out walking my 3 dogs on their leads the next day for both hands (done separately) and also wallpapered during the two weeks with 2nd hand and 1st hand I was tiling.
I think I am the exception to the tule though as I always have exceptionally good recovery from ops.

Reactions: 4 people

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a carpal tunnel operation on my right hand many years ago. My symptoms were numbness and pins and needles, rising to what felt like electric shocks running up my arm when I reached to open a door. I had the operation as a day patient, fully conscious with a local and home in a taxi. Pain was minimal afterwards, more a strong pulling than anything else really. Scar healed neatly and now looks like an extension of one of my hand lines (life line? lol). The condition was immediately alleviated and has never returned.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I too had my right hand done a year or so ago. No complaints, complete success. Back to work within a week, I do manual work.
Wish they could do something with my thumbs!!
Reccommend it!