CBD oil and diabetes

Aladin

Hello everyone, am back again with a new question, I assume you all know CBD oil, my fiancé is taking it to sleep herself, during day, she gets so dizzy and falls asleep, I want to know if it's safe to have CBD while you're diabetic type 1, anyone here tried it before?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Not tried it myself. I think some T2 members have.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone, am back again with a new question, I assume you all know CBD oil, my fiancé is taking it to sleep herself, during day, she gets so dizzy and falls asleep, I want to know if it's safe to have CBD while you're diabetic type 1, anyone here tried it before?

Hi,

I am more than familiar with CBD in the past... (A little more than inconclusive experiment.) Also the THC eliments..

Your fiancée. In what manor does she imbibe the her CBD. & for what purpose?
Does she suffer from neuropathy?
It's highly debatable canabis actually manages BG levels..

Reactions: EllieM

Aladin

Hi,

I am more than familiar with CBD in the past... (A little more than inconclusive experiment.) Also the THC eliments..

Your fiancée. In what manor does she imbibe the her CBD. & for what purpose?
Does she suffer from neuropathy?
It's highly debatable canabis actually manages BG levels..
She uses it to reduce pain as she has neck hernia, and yes her blood sugar wasn't stable for years, so neuropathy is high likely, is it good for her?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She uses it to reduce pain as she has neck hernia, and yes her blood sugar wasn't stable for years, so neuropathy is high likely, is it good for her?

In my personal experience... Not for the blood sugars.
For the pain? Possibly. However, the long term BG management with insulin should serve her better..

You haven't clarified how your fiancée takes her CBD..?

Can your fiancée talk to us here?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I haven't tried it so take my comments as fairly uninformed.
Interesting article here.
https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20180507/cbd-oil-all-the-rage-but-is-it-safe-effective#1

I think I'd want a doctor's advice before taking this, and I'd want some sort of quality check on the supply. (Unless she gets it on prescription.) Is it a good idea to take something that makes you "so dizzy and falls asleep"? The obvious T1 reason for concern here is what happens if you have a hypo.

Has she tried discussing it with her doctor? (Wikipedia says CBD oil is legal in the UK but I don't know if you're located there???)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't tried it so take my comments as fairly uninformed.
Interesting article here.
https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20180507/cbd-oil-all-the-rage-but-is-it-safe-effective#1

I think I'd want a doctor's advice before taking this, and I'd want some sort of quality check on the supply. (Unless she gets it on prescription.) Is it a good idea to take something that makes you "so dizzy and falls asleep"? The obvious T1 reason for concern here is what happens if you have a hypo.

Has she tried discussing it with her doctor? (Wikipedia says CBD oil is legal in the UK but I don't know if you're located there???)

"Dizzy falls asleep." Is what concerns me in my historical "Hendrix" experience...Hence why I ask... How?

Been a long time for me. Been there, done that & don't work as just a "recreational.." Excuses are easily "formulated..." (If the CBD element is not required.) problem is. Cannnabis can be "bang for buck" these days.. With the CBD level almost subdued.?

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have tried it and also tried a reputable brand too but quite honestly it had zero effect, I was using it to help sleep but didn’t notice any difference.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Holland and Barrett stuff no effect whatsoever.
Vaping it brilliant for pain but .... you have to have ever increasing doses of it which my COPD wouldn't tolerate.
If you have proper cannabis you never in all your life have to increase the dose it works every time for ever more.
If five puffs on a joint wobbled your head fifty years ago then five puffs on a joint will wobble you head today even if you smoke the stuff everyday and much much better for pain.
You might get more used to handling the effects but the day where you need ten times more than you did fifty years ago never arrives.
It's criminal that cannabis is criminal.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Holland and Barrett stuff no effect whatsoever.
Vaping it brilliant for pain but .... you have to have ever increasing doses of it which my COPD wouldn't tolerate.
If you have proper cannabis you never in all your life have to increase the dose it works every time for ever more.
If five puffs on a joint wobbled your head fifty years ago then five puffs on a joint will wobble you head today even if you smoke the stuff everyday and much much better for pain.
You might get more used to handling the effects but the day where you need ten times more than you did fifty years ago never arrives.
It's criminal that cannabis is criminal.

Though I would agree with the benefits of CBD.

Regarding recreational cannabis? There are all mannor of strains cultivated these days which have differing effects on even the experienced user.. Regardless of personal tolerance build up.

No "five puffs" are the same with a different type of strain.. ;)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Though I would agree with the benefits of CBD.

Regarding recreational cannabis? There are all mannor of strains cultivated these days which have differing effects on even the experienced user.. Regardless of personal tolerance build up.

No "five puffs" are the same with a different type of strain.. ;)
When I was a youngster there were an array of different resins from around the world that all different effects.
Spiritual artistic giggly deep thought monged in a heap on the couch relaxant stimulant relaxant and stimulant at the same time.
It wasn't like todays use where .... I have to get completely off my face or it's no good!
Plus most the resins by their very nature were a lot stronger than skunk.

Mr_Phillips 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have no experience with CBD oil but have been using cannabis oil (includes hefty percentage of THC in the oil) for over three years to control my blood sugar and can report that my HbA1c is in the normal range. As I understand it, there are other type 1s that have tried using this drug to control their blood sugar with varying levels of success. There is no doubt more research is required. The most interesting data that I have found is that it now allows me to eat any diet I wish with no effect on my HbA1c. I found this out accidentally when my wife stopped cooking for me after approximately 45 years and due to my changed circumstances, my meals have been mainly takeaways but I do try cooking at home as much as possible.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I have no experience with CBD oil but have been using cannabis oil (includes hefty percentage of THC in the oil) for over three years to control my blood sugar and can report that my HbA1c is in the normal range. As I understand it, there are other type 1s that have tried using this drug to control their blood sugar with varying levels of success. There is no doubt more research is required. The most interesting data that I have found is that it now allows me to eat any diet I wish with no effect on my HbA1c. I found this out accidentally when my wife stopped cooking for me after approximately 45 years and due to my changed circumstances, my meals have been mainly takeaways but I do try cooking at home as much as possible.
Oil .... you in America?
I was involved with honey oil coming from N Africa in the 70's lovely stuff very pure and powerful.
If I remember rightly it was around 80% THC and today the MSM screams about skunk being 20%.
Haven't smoked anything for years though and that includes tobacco.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am a long-time medical grade CBD Oil user. The liquid version that you use a syringe and drop it under your tongue. I am T2D, Rheumatoid and Osteo Arthritis, lower back injury (from 50 yrs ago), and have degenerative discs in my neck. Besides that I am in great shape LOL.

You mention getting sleepy ... that really shouldn't happen with regular CBD Oil without THC. The THC is the psychoactive property that is to be avoided if you want to stay clear headed and awake :)

Does CBD help? No evidence so far can be found that CBD Oil (with or without THC) affects the glucose levels, but it does have some level of pain relief - especially with Arthritis and other inflammations.

I use both ... CBD Oil with or without THC.

Daytime use CBD Oil without THC. Do you feel an immediate relief from pain? Not likely as it takes time to take effect - up to a couple of hours. You know how well it works when you don't take it :)

For nighttime I use 1:1 ratio CBD/THC about 2 hours before wanting to go to sleep. I find it really helps and I awake more refreshed. Secret is to find your "sweet spot" for how much to take. I use a 1:1 of about 12-15 mg/L and stay under 1 ml per dose. 1 ml is usually a full load in the provided syringe and you definitely would feel the "dizzy" (high). 4ml is equivalent to 1 gram of Cannabis. The more CBD/THC you take to more psychoactive reaction (high) you will feel. You can't overdose but unless you want to be too dizzy and tired then keep the dose down to about .5 ml. The higher the amount of THC in the mix , the bigger the psychoactive effect. DO NOT drive or operate any equipment while using CBD Oil with THC.

All that said, I wouldn't do without it.

A small word of warning ... the THC will give you the munchies and that could spike your glucose levels.

Last edited: